PDA

View Full Version : Rusting roof and gutters

Neil1812
5th November 2011, 06:25 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of fixing some rust at the back of the roof. The plan was to just cut it all out and fill with fibreglass filler. Having started though, it's a bit worse than I thought. The second skin inside is pretty rusty as well. I'm just worried now that I'm not going to be able to cut out all the rust (at least not without cutting off most of the gutter) and that it'll keep coming back.

Has anybody done much of this kind of stuff? I've used rust converters before but found them to be pretty useless. Would treating with rust converter and then filling and repainting be likely to keep it at bay for a while?

I'm assuming welding in new material would be way too expensive to get done professionally and pretty hard for a novice welder?

mq5ltr
5th November 2011, 08:22 PM
hi neil1812
had a problem on my old girl rust in gutter and around the windscreen removed windscreen and cut out the gutter up to back doors got a new bit off a gq and welded it all up and paint good as new.

AB
5th November 2011, 09:58 PM
hi neil1812
had a problem on my old girl rust in gutter and around the windscreen removed windscreen and cut out the gutter up to back doors got a new bit off a gq and welded it all up and paint good as new.

This would be the better way if you have the skills or know people too.

I just cut the rust out of my gutters the other day but was lucky to find no more inside, still sprayed rust converter and then bogged up, sand and spray but I'll get back to you in 12 months if I did a good job or not....haha

the ferret
5th November 2011, 11:04 PM
Mate, just bog it 'n flog it.
Even if you weld it, you can't treat the inside of the weld between the two panels and it will rust out again.
You would be better off if you are in love with your patrol to get a roof from the wreckers and cut it at the door pillars.
Cheers. the ferret.

Silver
6th November 2011, 12:59 AM
is the message for those of us without rust in that spot at the moment to pop the door surround rubbers, pull down the roof lining a bit, and squirt some rust preventative kinda stuff between the roof and second skin? One that creeps along?

Neil1812
8th November 2011, 02:13 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice. I think putting a whole new roof on would be the only way to fix it once and for all. I'm nowhere near ready to attempt a project of that magnitude just yet though. I've decided to go with rust converter and bog for the moment and just resign myself to the fact that I'll probably have to redo it every so often.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone out there has put a new roof on a Patrol though. How easy it is to get hold of one and how hard it is to get it aligned properly so all the doors and windows still fit. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to go down that route.

Killametre
27th November 2011, 11:06 PM
A mate of mine just got his done the pannel beater told him to find the replacment bits, so he cut the right side and rear sections of roof off a wreck and the pannel beater did the job for 2800

Cheers Andrew

Finly Owner
27th November 2011, 11:33 PM
I was looking at doing my original MQ shorty I had.

I investigated all options. My Mate was going to do the welding, I had to cut the replacement sections from donor car.

We found that there is actually three bits of metal. First is the outer roof skin, second is the inner roof skin and the third is the folded gutter.

So making from scratch would have been tricky. Corners aren't straight forward either.

You can get fish oil in there using a degreasing gun and a long plastic tube to reach far corners etc.

If you buy a replacement turret, have it cut off with all the pillars (full length), this will enable a proper stepped cut and weld, a legal requirement when doing a turret replacement.

Tim

cycd
18th December 2011, 10:31 AM
I have rust on the back passenger side roof gutter also.... i might just cut it off and bog and paint it.

Anyone know of any good cheap panel beaters in Perth?... i love old Bert and want to keep him

mike grove
18th December 2011, 07:49 PM
ive done it on my shorty mq. i cut the rusted panel off with the gutters. then cleaned up the top part where the windscreen seats and at the tops of the pillars where it was factory brazed. i then cut the donor roof by inserting my cutting blade in under the gutter so that the gutter came off as part of the roofpanel. i then applied .like nails glue for steel around the edges, spotwelded at the windscreen seat at the top and brazed it on the pillars and at the back. it nearly took no bog and u cant see that the roof has been changed.