PDA

View Full Version : mq patrol body lift and GQ alloys

boggy2006
3rd November 2011, 09:28 AM
hi,

not been on for a while since I lost my GQ, but I'm now looking at an MQ tonight, mainly for off roading. It's got no RWC, so need to see what needs doing. It's got a 3" body lift and I was wondering if I'd need to drop it down for the roadworthy? Is it a fairly straight forward job to do (apart from removing spacers, is there anything else which needs adjusting?). If fact, would the body lift be needed with 33" muddies?

Also, I have my 33" muddies of my GQ on GQ alloys, will the rims fit the MQ, ie same stud pattern etc.

Thanks

YNOT
3rd November 2011, 09:53 AM
Welcome back Boggy.

GQ rims will fit straight on, Tim (Finly owner) has the same wheels on his MK.
2" is the maximum body lift and even that will need to be engineered and blue plated.
I've only ever done a body lift on a GQ but you just need to watch what runs between the body and the chassis, ie, fuel fill hose, steering shaft, brake lines etc. All these things may have been extended and may not llike being compressed if you remove the lift so they may need to be remodified to suit. With GQ you also need to modify the transfer lever to suit a body lift, not sure about MK but something to watch that you can still get full movement from it after removing the body lift.

Tim has fitted Bigrigs old GQ alloys with 33's with no suspension or body lift.

Tony

boggy2006
3rd November 2011, 10:59 AM
hi, thanks for the fast reply, glad to be back and hope to be permanently if I get another Patrol!! I quite like the SWB MQ's, nice and simple!
Seems like I might as well take the body lift off if 33's will fit anyway. Hopefully all the bolts aren't seized up!! It might need a few other things doing, will find out tonight.

YNOT
3rd November 2011, 03:20 PM
Before you touch the body mount bolts soak the threads with INOX or WD40 once or twice a day every day for a week. Then undo them with the strongest rattle gun you can get your hands on. This is especially important with the rear mounts (assuming they are the same arrangment as GQ) as they use captive nuts, if the nuts spin the job becomes a giant pain in the butt.

Tony

boggy2006
3rd November 2011, 10:36 PM
thanks for the advice, looks like I'm going to need it as I've just bought the MQ!!