PDA

View Full Version : air condition pump converted to air compressor?

shaunh
2nd November 2011, 04:41 PM
my friend said to me the other day that he heard you can turn your ac pump into an air compressor just wondering how this can be done if at all

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2011, 04:49 PM
Hi mate,

There is a HEAP of info on the net about this, your "Air Conditioning Pump" is actually your "Air Conditioning Compressor" all you are doing is changing its use. You need to be mindful of the lubrication of it but search google and you will find

Google Search "Converting to Endless Air" (http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=converting+to+endless+air&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=E9KwTq_OEMKQiQfS-6HMAg)

I have not even searched here but there may be something on this forum even, but there is a heap of stuff.

Good luck

YNOT
2nd November 2011, 05:14 PM
Check here for a step by step guide with clear photo's; http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html

Tony

tiggar03
2nd November 2011, 05:23 PM
just had a quick look at this and it looks very interesting will have to have a good read of it later thanks guys

Ade
2nd November 2011, 05:28 PM
Gday mate,

I,ve used Sanden A/C compressor as my onboard endless air set up. Its a great thing to have if you're going to use lots of air on your troll like air tools or air suspensions. A bit tricky to mount the compressor though, you'll need to fabricate the mounting bracket(s). Mines mounted under the steering pump. But might not need this set up as I wont be using lots of air on my troll. Plus my ARB air compressor for the locker will serve me good enough to just airing tires..try to keep the troll as basic as possible. But its your call mate. Good thing to have onboard still..

Ade

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2011, 09:11 PM
Gday mate,

I,ve used Sanden A/C compressor as my onboard endless air set up. Its a great thing to have if you're going to use lots of air on your troll like air tools or air suspensions. A bit tricky to mount the compressor though, you'll need to fabricate the mounting bracket(s). Mines mounted under the steering pump. But might not need this set up as I wont be using lots of air on my troll. Plus my ARB air compressor for the locker will serve me good enough to just airing tires..try to keep the troll as basic as possible. But its your call mate. Good thing to have onboard still..

Ade

Hey Ade,

Have you got any pics of you mounting? I have been keen to fit up one to the power steering, do you have any drawings of your brackets.

I'd be keen as for some Info on how you did it mate. Looking to sort this out over summer.

Cheers

Ade
2nd November 2011, 09:22 PM
I made 2 identical brackets that bolts on to the fuel pump gear cover and at the back of it..but I'm sorry mate, I didn't have any drawings of it. I'll see what I can do for you. I'll try to post some better pics when I got home later. This is the pic from my computer in the office.

Ade
2nd November 2011, 09:24 PM
By the way mate..its a Sanden 507 compressor.

YNOT
2nd November 2011, 09:59 PM
Hey Ade,

Have you got any pics of you mounting? I have been keen to fit up one to the power steering, do you have any drawings of your brackets.

I'd be keen as for some Info on how you did it mate. Looking to sort this out over summer.

Cheers

Check out this link (http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html), it has drawings of the brackets at the bottom of the page.

Tony

Ade
2nd November 2011, 10:21 PM
This is the best picture mate. I mounted mine when the engine was off the troll, so its pretty easy job. Plus by using Sanden 507 compressor, I had to trim off just a little portion of the panhard mounting bracket on the chassis otherwise it wont fit. So you might have to consider smaller compressor, it will leave you ample space to work on it and laying out the air line etc.

canuck
8th November 2011, 09:31 AM
Ade, do you have a template / diagram for building the mount?

Did you set it up to be self-oiling on grease?

YNOT
8th November 2011, 10:31 AM
Ade did not do drawings of his brackets, here are some from the Grungles web page;
The attached files underneath the photo's are the engineering drawings.

Tony

YNOT
8th November 2011, 10:37 AM
Type 2 (again from Grungle web page), with engineering drawings.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2011, 10:53 AM
Type 2 (again from Grungle web page), with engineering drawings.

Tony

Hey Tony your a champ mate, thats the setup i was keen to do. Drivers side a bit higher than the other. I have actually seen a guy that dropped his power steering pump down and mounted the compressor higher again... I'd be keen to do that and then re-gas the aircon to that side and run the standard position as the endless air.

canuck
8th November 2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks Tony. That's even better than what I expected. :cheers:

YNOT
8th November 2011, 01:27 PM
All I did was pull the information and images from http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html
It's all on that page, images, drawings and step by step (with images) how to modify the compressor.

Tony

canuck
9th November 2011, 05:55 AM
Now I remember OldMav's thread on this from a long time ago. I'll have to see what the retired machinist neighbor will charge me to make the brackets OldMav designed. All of my Cruiser friends have installed electric compressors but they take for ever to air up.

Now to look for a used 24V Sanden. I think Caterpillar used Sanden compressors. Any other applications where a Sanden compressor was sued in 24V machinery?

twinotter600
12th November 2011, 10:37 AM
Make 2 and I am listening....

canuck
12th November 2011, 02:58 PM
I'll ask him for a price on doing a bunch of mount sets. I presume David and Jesse may want one too. First I need to find out if we can just buy the 24V AC clutch without having to buy the whole compressor.

pcpitstop
13th November 2011, 09:48 PM
Do you have to use the same aircon compressor as stock?

YNOT
13th November 2011, 10:17 PM
Do you have to use the same aircon compressor as stock?

No, for this application the Sanden SD5 or SD7 compressor is the best. The SD5 is a very common compressor making second hand units easy to find and relatively cheap. Brand new an SD5 can be yours for around $300.

Tony

canuck
14th November 2011, 09:17 AM
Tony, if I get my hands on a 12V SD5 or SD7, would it be correct for me to assume that all I need to get it to work on 24V is a 24V coil for it and of course a 24V relay? I am asking because the 24V clutches are $180 alone.

Ade
14th November 2011, 02:38 PM
Thats how I did mine..replaced it to a 24v coil clutch.

canuck
14th November 2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks Ade. That is the answer I was hoping for.

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:42 PM
Cheers guys this has been a great help (:
lots of ideas coming to mind now