View Full Version : advice on tyres for new GQ

ozzyboy
1st November 2011, 11:03 PM
recently bought a gq. has 16' rims.
I am looking to do mainly:
50% sand
40% mud
10% bitumen

i am after a reasonably priced 33" that has the look of a muddy, but good on sand.
Any advice here would be appreciated

cheers

Dan

Silver
1st November 2011, 11:07 PM
Not had much to do with mud tyres Dan, let alone in sand, but I remember posts on here recently recommending some - no doubt you'll hear from those members when they read your post.

Warnie
1st November 2011, 11:23 PM
Here's the link to a previous thread regarding tyres for sand

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6673-A-lot-of-beach-driving

If you are going to be doing mud driving also a good mud tyre will also work in sand with the appropriate tyre pressure. I like my Kumho KL71's, a mate has BFG MK2's and swears buy them. It all comes down to personal reference and how much you wanna pay. My Kumhos were around $250 a corner and my mates BFG's were $350 a corner (both for a 285/75R16 = 33/11.25R16)

ozzyboy
1st November 2011, 11:57 PM
ty silver and warnie
i did hear that the bfg mk2's are a good tyre. but $350 is a bit hexy.
I did just read quite a few good reviews on the kumho kl71's.

ozzyboy
2nd November 2011, 12:03 AM
question on the kumho's. What side best to set spare up for?
I'm thinking left because it more likely to damage than right due to vision on tracks?

Ade
2nd November 2011, 01:43 AM
Gday Dan,

I used to run 33'' Cooper Dis. STT..no problem on both mud and sand with appropriate pressure as Warnie said. Great on the road too..and good mileage I reckoned.

Ade

ozzyboy
2nd November 2011, 03:53 AM
thanks ade. will do some research today on them. Need tyres for roadworthy this week!

Warnie
2nd November 2011, 08:16 AM
I would say having the spare set for the lhs, I didn't buy 5, poor student. I just bought a second hand Goooyear MTR non directional spare

growler2058
2nd November 2011, 09:46 AM
recently bought a gq. has 16' rims.
I am looking to do mainly:
50% sand
40% mud
10% bitumen

i am after a reasonably priced 33" that has the look of a muddy, but good on sand.
Any advice here would be appreciated

cheers

Dan

Mate my preference is the Mickey Thompson MTZ bloody awesome in the mud fine on sand and blacktop. I have em on me GQ and on the wifes Prado. I would go to a 15" rim as in a sunraysia or similar as this will give you more side wall

Mazodude
2nd November 2011, 11:48 AM
Mate my preference is the Mickey Thompson MTZ bloody awesome in the mud fine on sand and blacktop. I have em on me GQ and on the wifes Prado. I would go to a 15" rim as in a sunraysia or similar as this will give you more side wall
yea the MT MTZ are great. heaps of grip in every situation. From fourby's here in briz, it cost $360 a tyre. well worth it though

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2011, 11:58 AM
ty silver and warnie
i did hear that the bfg mk2's are a good tyre. but $350 is a bit hexy.
I did just read quite a few good reviews on the kumho kl71's.

question on the kumho's. What side best to set spare up for?
I'm thinking left because it more likely to damage than right due to vision on tracks?

The Kumhos are a great tyre and will serve you well. I did a bit of research on the spare mount. i was involved in a Poll on this topic on another forum and the consensus was the Left Hand side rotation.

The Left will be the first in the dirt shoulder when pulling over, will be in the left wheel track on the road where any rubbish is getting flicked about trying to get off the road. Much Much more likely to get a puncture in the left than the right by 3 or 5 to 1. Go the left.

I bought 8 when i got mine and fitted 3 to the camper, i had the advantage of fitting the camper spare for right hand rotation. ;)

good, Cheap Tyre.

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2011, 12:02 PM
Alternatively, any reasonable 4 rib All terrain will be a winner for you. I reckon the Mickey Ts in an A/T 4 rib would be a winner for you. the MTZs might be a little more aggressive than you need to be honest, as will the Kumhos. The Kumhos get my vote on Price alone. but for practicality an A/T will be best suited for your true purpose if your percentages are accurate.

Good luck and have fun mate.

aaron 78
5th November 2011, 06:19 PM
Yes i run the Mickey ATZ 4 rib and it's great A/T tyre very happy ;)