PDA

View Full Version : converting a nissan y61 patrol (05,2003) to a td42 help

teddybear
1st November 2011, 04:05 PM
Gudday all.
Trying something different. I want to put a td42 in this vehicle!!(05,2003) currently has a 3L Y61(yuck)

Do I need an adapter plate?
where can you get these adapter plates?
Do I need another diff?
Can I just change tyre size.
Anything else I need?
Actually I am a bio deisel and vegi oil fan and need a motor without (Whoops I originally wrote with) direct injection and common rail so I thought I would spend some money and get the best of both worlds. Anyway who wants one of those 3l grenade motors. Cant run my alternate fuels in it anyway.

Any advice apreciated.
(Dont worry about legalities)(Lets just say that its all good).
Teddybear

teddybear
1st November 2011, 04:06 PM
teddybear again gemmanairn@bigpond.com 0r 0899650519
Forgot contact details!!

the evil twin
1st November 2011, 04:30 PM
Gudday all.
Snip...

Trying something different. I want to put a td42 in this vehicle!!(05,2003) currently has a 3L Y61(yuck)

Actually I am a bio deisel and vegi oil fan and need a motor with direct injection and common rail ...

A TD42 isn't a Common Rail motor dude...

...and before the natives get too restless... the Intro's thread is over here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

nickpeacock36
1st November 2011, 05:30 PM
I like my 3L Dude. Dont assume everyone hates them. The later 3L are common rail.;

YNOT
1st November 2011, 05:49 PM
Gudday all.

Do I need an adapter plate?
where can you get these adapter plates?
Do I need another diff?
Can I just change tyre size.
Anything else I need?
Actually I am a bio deisel and vegi oil fan and need a motor with direct injection and common rail so I thought I would spend some money and get the best of both worlds. Anyway who wants one of those 3l grenade motors. Cant run my alternate fuels in it anyway.

Any advice apreciated.
(Dont worry about legalities)(Lets just say that its all good).
Teddybear

Am I reading this wrong? TD42 is neither common rail nor direct injection.

If you're talking manual gearbox all you need is a TD42 bell housing, flywheel, starter etc.
Diff ratio's should be OK, you can change tyre size if you want.

Tony

teddybear
2nd November 2011, 10:54 AM
Thankyou Tony!!
I may just give it a go.
I have a nissan patrol wagon in excellent nick 2003 and now I am looking for a td42 engine.
I saw one for sale 30,000km recently rebuilt for $6000 and another from an engine shop 169,000km for $7500.
Thse engines will run on Biodeisel for 40 cents\litre or with a vegi oil conversion kit for 2 cents \Litre.
Sorry about the typo. I need a not direct injection and common rail motor!! I have done some reading on the TD42. Wow they are almost unbreakable!! A bit more power than my 35 year old Landcruiser 2h motor!!

YNOT
2nd November 2011, 01:50 PM
OK then, TD42 is a good choice in that case and you're right about the TD42 being almost unbreakable. As long as you keep oil and water in them they will just keep going.

Where abouts are you (when you get a minute drop by the introductions page and tell us a bit about yourself and your Patrol) that legallities are not a concern?

Tony

Skull
16th November 2011, 12:11 AM
Don't hate me but I cracked the head and lost a rear main on my 03 ZD30. I looked first at 4.2 becuase I did not wanna spend anything on a ZD30 (wanted more grunt). The 4.2 has another two cylinders but look at the specs, only difference...... fuel. Just a simpler engine with better gains from mods like turbo and pump recal. Apparently it is almost imposible and definatley too expensive to transplant 4.2 into a 3L car. I know I was like how hard can it be but it is all the electrics they tell me. The whole dash wiring is different and would cost an absolute mint to re-jig. Still cannot get a definate on whether the box is the same ( don't believe so). For the money I was going to do a supercharged 6.5 chevy from Bullet Diesel in yatala (long train ride for the truck). That was going to be $45000. I know you are all thinking thats a Durramax price tag but you need 2" body lift (Marks 4x4 adapters is working on a kit without). I think if you do the ring around bud you will find it too bloody hard. If you don't mind petrol you could LS2 it for less than $15000, crate motors are only $4000..... I opted to trade the car on a spanking new one and start again. Conversions never seem to work as well as planned and issues wont be far away. Plus not real good for resale if you plan to get rid of your car ever. Sorry mate. All anyone could tell me was TRADE IT before it becomes a paper weight. Don't get me wrong my ZD30 was a great donk, cooked it towing with the radiator full of sand (wish I had of known). If I had not have done that to her she would do another 245000km's twice over I reckon.

PattyWgnOwen
1st September 2012, 09:14 AM
Have done it on my zd30 auto. Apart from issues I have had with donor engine such as turbo and fuel pump conversion was easy. Td42 bolts straight to auto box because zd30 uses same bell housing as old GQ auto with an adapter to suit zd30.

Did not have to change dash. They just used interface modules to convert signals. Need to get TPS reprogrammed but added lock up switch instead so not bothered.

Killer kustom kables is your man to get wiring done. Not cheap but everything works as it should. That is worth paying for from what I have read.