PDA

View Full Version : Suspention

2002td42
1st November 2011, 03:56 AM
What would use recomend in suspention for my 2002 gu patrol wagon i would prefer a 2 or 3 inch lift

timbar
1st November 2011, 04:02 AM
Gday 2002td42 Welcome to the forum .........Please post up an introduction in the introduction section of the forum just tell us a little bit about yourself and post up some pics if you have any before you ask questions you will get a better response

thanks mate

Thirsty
2nd November 2011, 07:40 AM
2", check out OME. thats what I have and works really well. have a look at my thread in members rides and you'll see theres no problem with flex.

T0nka
2nd November 2011, 08:44 AM
I went with King Springs 2' and OME Nitrocharger Sports shocks. Very happy

fullbost
4th November 2011, 10:06 AM
iv got a 2" flexy lift from suspetion stuff. There basically a 2" lifted coil that can flex like a 4" coil comes with 4" dobinson shock im pleased at how well it flexes.

grimace
5th November 2011, 11:06 AM
g'day champ i myself am running 2" lovells springs and EFS elite shocks and this works well for me although i just had one of my front shocks fail on me after about 12 months which they replaced no questions asked. as these shocks do come with a 3 year warranty or 100,000k any way you really need to decide on what you want out of your truck, what accessories, how much overall weight. your best option would be to see your local 4wd shop and have a chat most of them are wheelers themselves and know there sh!t....cheers....

aaron 78
5th November 2011, 06:11 PM
i have 2'' tough dog 45mm adjustable shock n tough dog springs very happy atm great off road n on.

Skull
15th November 2011, 11:50 PM
Depends on how much you are planning on spending and what you plan to do bud. I am a firm believer in spend as much as you can afford. If you take something out put a tougher one back (eventually your truck will be bullet proof and you will have that warm fuzzy that you will make it home). Don't get shity guys but Iron Man is not the most rugged of options. If you lift your truck you can take it places that Nissan never planned for. Things like control arms get quite exposed with lift and trust me they are weak as. I run Dobinsons 3" Flexy with T/Dog 45mm ADJ. Friggin brilliant all round ( only isue is 45mm valving is a little noisey and hisses allot). Research mate. Heaps of it. Took me 9mths to settle on my lift. Cost me over $5000 in springs, shocks and every steering/suspension component under there. I could do a simple 3" lift for bout $900 if I wanted. Blokes don't spend that on 5-7" lifts. But I would not change a thing about my setup. It highways better than my wife Mazda 2, Flexes like an absolute feind with the sways disconnected and tours like a dream. DO THE RESEARCH. Dont go getting this and that. You don't need to buy it all at once but have the whole lot planned so you don't end up with gear that won't work together. Good luck bud.

Reed87
17th November 2011, 03:57 PM
I am also in process of sorting this out, reserched everyones opinions as posted aswell. All im doing is a 2" lift with springs and shocks.. Ive been told by 2 mechanics that i need to extend my brake lines and need a panhard rod aswell, is this needed because a few other sources say that this is a waste of money?

GRA.GU
17th November 2011, 06:00 PM
You should be fine with 2". That's the figure that is generally quoted as the cut-off before the more extensive mods become necessary. Usual advice is try it at that and, if steering is vague, think about castor correction. Otherwise all is well.

Skull
17th November 2011, 09:02 PM
You will likely get away with no panhard on a 2" if you have standard duty srings. If you up-rate the springs I would expect it will be needed. Do the lift though and see how it settles after a couple of weeks. Once it has settled stand behind and infront of the vehicle and compare how far you tyres sit inside the gaurd each side, you will be able to see if the diff is centered under the car. If it is off to one side then you should correct it with a panhard.

robbo0001
17th November 2011, 10:22 PM
After just "having fun" selling a modified vehicle (ie non-ADR) I am trying to stay within the current poor QLD transport modifications for our new GU 2.8... so a 2 inch lift is on the cards.

Very interested in this, and any other replies to the 50mm raise question.

I am working along the lines (so far) of King springs or Tuffdog, purely based on past experience, but am not paricularly biased.

Skull
17th November 2011, 11:40 PM
www.suspensionstuff.com.au
You may notice they do Superior Engineering stuff cheaper than superior do, not far from you either. Recomend Dobinson Flexi coils and if you can afford them get T/D 45 adj, well worth the coin.
http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=137_40_68

Stumpjumper
18th November 2011, 12:45 AM
Work out ahead what you are going to do because you might put a 2in lift in ....like I did, and then decide to put on a winch??? now I need HD front springs to support the extra load.
Looking for said springs if anyone has a couple gathering dust???

robbo0001
18th November 2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks Skull I will check em out mate....had a bit to do with Superior in the past, great gear but can get bloody exy!
Cheers Stump.... I might need 50mm raised HD springs, to counter the bar thats going on shortly (and eventually the winch that will fit in the bar, when the Missus wins the lotto)
A harsher ride doesnt worry me, and the kids are to small to complain :harhar:...rather get set up now, so in a few years we can drive out the door without excesive sag and rubbing.

Skull
19th November 2011, 12:46 AM
I went the HD set before I put any of my gear on. Was about six months before I started adding weight. Was a bit harder ride but not unbearable by any stretch. Even on the busted Bruce highway around cairns or in the bush. My recomend is plan what the end goal for your truck will be and work to it. You my change your mind and end up buying a few things over but if you go to standard duty I will bet your balls and mine you will replace em. Buy right the first time. My trick, if you take something out put in something tougher. DON'T GO CHEAP if you can afford it. If you can't afford it... save longer.