PDA

View Full Version : Patrol with a FORD badge

Hondatrix
1st November 2011, 02:49 AM
Guys, today I spotted a rhd Patrol with Ford badges...what gives?

madmaxtechnology
1st November 2011, 02:53 AM
Probably a Ford Maverick.......when Ford uses Nissan Patrol's and pay's for the priviledge of sticking their badge on it :-)

Hondatrix
1st November 2011, 03:07 AM
Yeah it said Maverick...so i'ts just a rebadged Nissan...shame on FORD...(-:

timbar
1st November 2011, 04:13 AM
on the compliance plates on these Ford mavericks have :

Ford Maverick made by Nissan Motor Company.........hahahahaha

Silver
1st November 2011, 09:29 AM
ANd they had a nissan badged ford 2wd ute. at the same time

T0nka
1st November 2011, 09:40 AM
i might put ford badges on my GU :)

Warnie
1st November 2011, 10:22 AM
It would be one of a kind. I was lucky my old mav didn't have any ford badges on it. It didn't even have nissan badges, it must have been confused and lost its identity.

Mazodude
1st November 2011, 10:53 AM
Here is some reading material as to why this is so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan

chester
1st November 2011, 12:25 PM
And if you go to a ford dealership for parts they tell you to go to a nissan dealership.
When i had one, my toyota owning mate's would say" bloody nissan", i would say"its not a nissan its a ford".
Then they would say "Bloody fords",My comment then"well it's not really a ford more a nissan".
Would win that argument everytime.

taslucas
1st November 2011, 08:31 PM
And if you go to a ford dealership for parts they tell you to go to a nissan dealership.
When i had one, my toyota owning mate's would say" bloody nissan", i would say"its not a nissan its a ford".
Then they would say "Bloody fords",My comment then"well it's not really a ford more a nissan".

You'd now you were winning he argument because you had to yell back at them while you were pulling them out!!

taslucas
1st November 2011, 08:48 PM
I have a 91 GQ, mate has a 92 Maverick. Both have TB42, Same Auto, same carbi, Same interior including electric windows. Mine is a Ti so has a few more options inside (bucket seats, velour, elect mirrors, etc)
One interesting difference is the power button: Mine has a power button on the gear stick, when you push it to "power on", it holds a gear longer letting the revs get higher.
My mates Mav has an overdrive button on the gearstick which acts the opposite, when you push it to "overdrive off" the engine acts the same as mine with the power button on.
The mav also has a button on the dash which can switched between "power---off---hold". when switched to "hold" it holds the gear its in (usually)
Bit confusing

chester
3rd November 2011, 09:06 PM
You'd now you were winning he argument because you had to yell back at them while you were pulling them out!!LOL funny you should say that,i was snatching a mate out of a bog and the angle's were all wrong and ended up putting it on it's side,i thought it was funny.
Bloody nissan i think was the cry from the rolled cruiser.

easydoesit
1st December 2011, 10:59 AM
I love looking through my ford maverick windscreen and the first thing you notice is the nissan stamp on the wipers

patch697
1st December 2011, 11:13 AM
I can't believe ford asked Nissan to go to all the trouble of repressing rocker covers for the Mav's without the Nissan stamped in them & left everything else under the bonnet with it in, including to overflow bottle which is something that regularly checked?????

I wonder how much extra they whacked on the price of a new Mav for that privilege.................lol

AB
1st December 2011, 12:30 PM
I like the radio aerials on the Mav's though. They are clamped onto the drivers A pillar and run on the same angle.

Way better then Nissan straight up aerials just asking to be bent and snapped if you forget to take it down in the scrub.

patch697
1st December 2011, 01:17 PM
I like the radio aerials on the Mav's though. They are clamped onto the drivers A pillar and run on the same angle.

Way better then Nissan straight up aerials just asking to be bent and snapped if you forget to take it down in the scrub.

Believe me there not that good or safe from damage either. I've had to replace mine 3 time in 2 yrs & every time I've damaged it, its been down.

One good whack with a small branch is all it takes to bend them in the middle like a banana, the only consolation being a cheap $20 buck pillar mount special out of super cheap is all you need to replace the antenna itself.

I'd rather an in guard electric job myself that goes down automatically when you turn the radio itself off as I don't tend to have it on when out wheeling.

growler2058
1st December 2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe a Pov pak thing AB my troll has the aerial on drivers 'a' panel

the ferret
1st December 2011, 01:24 PM
Just don't buy ya parts from FORD lol. ouch!!!

patch697
1st December 2011, 01:25 PM
Maybe a Pov pak thing AB my troll has the aerial on drivers 'a' panel

You could be right there Growlers as I did hear that all Mav's started life as intended Patrol Pov packs & where upgraded from there.

patch697
1st December 2011, 01:29 PM
Just don't buy ya parts from FORD lol. ouch!!!

If you ask for anything in regards to a Mav here they send you to Nissan anyway. Thats how I learned even the ford badge in the grill isn't even ford its actually Nissan & even has a Nissan part number on it.

Go figure that one..... It had me scratch my head....hahahahaha

ZTG
1st December 2011, 02:19 PM
Here is some reading material as to why this is so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_car_plan

I had always wondered why they did that, now I know, thanks Mazodue

GQsweep
10th December 2011, 05:44 PM
IIRC, the Mavericks were generally offered at a higher spec than the same Patrol. Mainly cosmetic. There are a few tales going around dealers of times when Nissan dealers were having difficulty filling orders and it was not unheard of for them to 'raid' Ford stocks and swap badges at the dealership to satisfy waiting customers.

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:26 PM
Go the MAV, its a pretty blue anyways ;P

sibbles
10th January 2012, 09:26 AM
I havenīt seen those badges on pictures, do they fit like stock only with Ford logo. Can you guyīs send me a link so I can see the prices. Would LOVE to have a set of those on my GQ, Iīm a bit of a Ford fanatic and badging the Patrol up as Ford would be so funny, ecspessially since they donīt exist as Fords any where but Aussieland :)

mick64au
22nd March 2012, 05:13 PM
I have a Maverick - I always refer to it as a Nissan Patrol - people tend to be less confused that way. My mechanic calls it a Patrol too. Hope the Maverick badge doesn't get me booted from the group.

AB
22nd March 2012, 05:39 PM
I have a Maverick - I always refer to it as a Nissan Patrol - people tend to be less confused that way. My mechanic calls it a Patrol too. Hope the Maverick badge doesn't get me booted from the group.

Plenty of Mav's on here mate, all good! Plenty of re-branded Mav's on here too I would imagine....lol

gf0012-aust
22nd March 2012, 06:40 PM

you should remind your mate about the Toyota Lexcen

there's a genius in every crowd.....

john button is his friend

gf0012-aust
22nd March 2012, 06:42 PM

I've got a patrol and a maverick.

the equiv patrol to the maverick came with less options (eg the patrol didn't get a LSD in the bum or discs all round for the same model comparison - the mav was a better optioned package for the price)

MQ MAD
23rd March 2012, 11:02 AM
Something to do with the 80s fluro clothes effecting the brain matter
Nissan patrol - Ford maverick
XF Falcon ute - Nissan XFN ute
Holden barina - Suzuki swift

Then holden had the RB30 nissan donk (best 6 pot holden ever used )
Ah the 80s has alot to answer for

Winnie
23rd March 2012, 11:07 AM
Also the Toyota Lexcen - VN Commodore.
It was all part of the government's button car scheme.

gf0012-aust
23rd March 2012, 05:35 PM
Something to do with the 80s fluro clothes effecting the brain matter
Nissan patrol - Ford maverick
XF Falcon ute - Nissan XFN ute
Holden barina - Suzuki swift

Then holden had the RB30 nissan donk (best 6 pot holden ever used )
Ah the 80s has alot to answer for

then there is the WB Statesman by Mazda with a rotary engine - but only sold in Japan because it would have embarassed the crap out of GMH due to a far better build quality.

Ford Laser - Mazda 323
Ford Corsair and equiv Nissan Pintara
Ford Telstar and Mazda 626
Ford Courier and Mazda B class utes
Holden Apollo and Toyota Camry
Holden Nova and Tojo Corolla
Holden Astra - Nissan Pulsar

bang for buck the maverick was more optioned up for the same patrol price (all disc as opposed to nissan disc and drum base combo), LSD instead of stock diff etc....

the tojo Lexcen was also better optioned up than the base crapadore......

lexcen, mazda statesman and maverick were better optioned vehicles than their sister shared platforms by a golden mile.

97_gq_lwb
23rd March 2012, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=gf0012-aust;203867]then there is the WB Statesman by Mazda with a rotary engine - but only sold in Japan because it would have embarassed the crap out of GMH due to a far better build quality.

Learn something new everyday i just had a look at a video of the Mazda roadpacer lol funny as an old hj holden heap with a rotary in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwGfCKUqB4

gf0012-aust
23rd March 2012, 06:57 PM
then there is the WB Statesman by Mazda with a rotary engine - but only sold in Japan because it would have embarassed the crap out of GMH due to a far better build quality.

Learn something new everyday i just had a look at a video of the Mazda roadpacer lol funny as an old hj holden heap with a rotary in it.

I remember going to the SA Hot Rod Show at Wayville where a bloke had stuck a modified 13B into his WB Statesman but married them up to 4.11's, it went like stink but had mileage that was worse than a 360 VJ Chrysler Hardtop

you could have had a party for 5 in that engine bay - it was under utilised by some margin. :)

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 07:32 PM
I've got a patrol and a maverick.

the equiv patrol to the maverick came with less options (eg the patrol didn't get a LSD in the bum or discs all round for the same model comparison - the mav was a better optioned package for the price)

My 91 GQ PATROL has disc all round, LSD rear diff, electric mirrors, windows, aerial. Sway bar disconnect handle, aircon. It I'd a Ti tho.
I thought all patrols had rear LSD?

tappn it

97_gq_lwb
23rd March 2012, 07:59 PM
I personally haven't seen a gq without an lsd.
But have owned 3 maverick tb42's in the past all had electric windows one even had a factory sunroof and gold wheels lol.
I think the mavericks were ti's or st or something along those lines.

gf0012-aust
23rd March 2012, 08:00 PM
pretty sure they didn't. eg mine didn't. :) if it was supposed to then its a friday vehicle

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 08:03 PM
pretty sure they didn't. eg mine didn't. :) if it was supposed to then its a friday vehicle

How do ya tell that it hasn't?

tappn it

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 08:06 PM
But have owned 3 maverick tb42's in the past all had electric windows one even had a factory sunroof and gold wheels lol.

Mate has a 94 mav, and mines a 91 patrol Ti.....they both have the same features except mine had the electric aerial (score!).

tappn it

97_gq_lwb
23rd March 2012, 08:07 PM
This is posted from another site
I would like to post up some info about some research I did this arvo over a beer and a cuppla hours....may
be this could become a sticky if the mods deem it good enuff:wink: :wink: .
I consulted my genuine Nissan workshop manuals out of curiosity and found out some interesting facts about Patrol diffs. Please bear in mind that my manuals only cover up to 12/94 models...but should be fairly close to later GQ,s as well.
Firstly.....
All OZ spec patrols had rear LSDs...and they are a benchmark LSD in the 4WD scene for reliability and robustness.
All cab/chassis models had H260 diffs..either full floating or semi floating....but all leaf spring models were full floating.
All other models (except some DX models) had semi floating H 233b diffs..the exception was a few DX models had full floating ones (fairly rare tho).
Secondly....
Standard ratio for all diesel wagons and TB42 (with 16" wheels) deluxe manuals is 4.111 ratio.
Standard ratio for all other patrols (except RB 30) is 3.900.
Both RB 30 and diesel cab/chassis are 4.375.
Petrol cab/chassis (TB 42) ratio is 4.111

But I do know that GU TD 2.8 diesel has a 4.6 ratio...and it is probably fairly safe to say that it is the same in later GQs fitted with the same motor.
To tell what your original ratios probably is (or was) lift the bonnet and check the spec. plate that is rivetted to bulkhead on drivers side.On mine it says final drive is HG43...the last 2 numbers give the ratio ...and HG is code for H 233b diff.

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for posting mate, thats some good info. Only thing I picked up on was the ratio for a TB42 with 16 inch wheels...I didn't think they came out with 16 inch wheels till later?

tappn it

Winnie
23rd March 2012, 09:16 PM
My 91 GQ PATROL has disc all round, LSD rear diff, electric mirrors, windows, aerial. Sway bar disconnect handle, aircon. It I'd a Ti tho.
I thought all patrols had rear LSD?

tappn it
My '92 ST has all these options too.

My cousin has a Mav and it has no options at all. Very basic model. No electrics or anything.

97_gq_lwb
23rd March 2012, 09:28 PM
Ah ok i haven't come across a basic maverick did it have disc brake rear or drum.

Winnie
23rd March 2012, 09:31 PM
I've only ever come across basic Mavs... didn't know they came out with electrics.
It has drum rear.

97_gq_lwb
23rd March 2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for posting mate, thats some good info. Only thing I picked up on was the ratio for a TB42 with 16 inch wheels...I didn't think they came out with 16 inch wheels till later?

tappn it

Yeah no idea the td42 my motor come from was a commercial it had an electric aeriel although it wasn't connected lol.
It had the original am radio as well as 16 inch split rims and no flares on the gaurds.
I can confirm that the later gq,s with the rd28 had 4.6 ratio diffs as my 97 gq has them

the ferret
23rd March 2012, 09:42 PM
Just don't buy anything with a Ford badge, I'v had nothing but trouble with Fords, Fix or repair daily, found on rubbish dump, F##ked on race day, lol da da as well as rip off prices for spares.
Maverick is nissan so no probs.
Cheers, the ferret.

growler2058
23rd March 2012, 09:51 PM
My pov pak 1990 gq patrol td42 had 16" steel rims standard kinda looked like a sunraysia without any dish

Tappin N Crappin

taslucas
23rd March 2012, 09:53 PM
So by the sounds of it both patrols and mavericks come out with varying levels of options. We got there in the end! Lol

tappn it

growler2058
23rd March 2012, 09:54 PM
Agree Luke and Fords S!CK hahahahahahahahaha except the troll mav nissan ford hahahaha

Tappin N Crappin

scubaseany
4th April 2012, 08:30 AM
I had to laugh - I was looking for a Patrol - a mate of mine said he saw one for sale - we turned up and it was a Ford Maverick but screamed Nissan Patrol - I looked under the bonnet and it is all Nissan - so I bought it anyway - love it - doesnt need the Ford badges though ?