PDA

View Full Version : dumbie tail lights on a gu

tappethead
31st October 2011, 06:01 AM
hi team just a quick question about the "ol dumbie tail lights" on the gu patrol...
the other day i found myself following another gu and it had the "flea bay" replacment altezza style tail lights, as we got to an intersection i noticed they weren't working no biggie i thought may be they had n't bothered to wire them up or they had blown a fuse or something.
over the past month or so every gu with these style tail lights dont seem to be working bar 1 out of the 5 or so that i have seen.
is there a reason for this? what am i missing guys? we live in qld if that has something to do with it legally?

YNOT
31st October 2011, 06:52 AM
It is for legal reasons. With the spare tyre on the back door the powers that be decided that the RH tail light cannot be seen from some angles. To get around this Nissan fitted tail light in the bumper where they were not obscured. You only need to have one reverse light so that was OK to stay in the LH upper tail light.
You can buy Europeon market upper tail lights (which have indicators, stop/tail, and reverse lights) on EBay and wire them up to work with the lower tail lights if you want, many people have.

Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2452-GU-Christmas-Tree&highlight=christmas+tree

Tony

T0nka
31st October 2011, 08:17 AM
mine work fine, christmas tree baby!

tappethead
31st October 2011, 12:53 PM
hi tony sorry mate i didnt make my question very clear...my bad.... what i was wanting to know was the trolls i had seen with the after market lights like you have mentioned Europeon market upper tail lights fitted were not working i was wanting to know if the powers to be had past some new regulation out lawing this modification?
seemed strange that so many people had retro fitted a set of these lights and not have them working.
thanks for the link mate i knew it was on here somewhere i just couldnt find it lol...

YNOT
31st October 2011, 01:23 PM
You can have the whole Christmas tree working, Holden Jackaroo's and Toyota Prado's etc come from the factory like that so it is legal. Are you sure the cars you were referring to had the indicators in the upper tail lights? I agree it seems pointless to fit the full tail lights but not have them working.

Tony

tappethead
31st October 2011, 03:50 PM
yup yup they were definatley gu patrols cause i made a point of following one to try and show the misses our next modification lol... maybe they just hadn't finish wiring them up as the misses said pretty much the same thing.... whats the point if the new ones dont work either hahaha...but all good if its all legal then thats all i needed to know thanks heaps...

04OFF
31st October 2011, 04:47 PM
I think what you are seeing is actually factory Nissan tail lights not working, not aftermarket ones, i have purchased Altezza tail lamps for my GU series 1, these lamps are a copy of a Nissan lamp that became a factory up-date on the GUs in series 2 or 3 i think (before they changed the tail light shape altogether)

The ebay ones are a copy of a genuine lamp that was released by nissan, and so when fitted from factory ,do not work (apart from reverse light)

tappethead
1st November 2011, 09:16 PM
oh ok right and so the plot thickens... this i did not know a bit of a trivial matter in general but i find it interesting to find out that nissan would release non working replacements/updates only to have the reverse light working...
or have i missed the point completely either way i will be doing this mod in the next couple of weeks or so thanks for your input guys...
christmas tree on...

hekarewe
2nd November 2011, 07:49 PM
i replaced my dummy lights with working lights from www.carsrus.com.au on the sunshine coast cost me including gst and frieght $144.00 approx only issue is when wiring you will need to run a lume from the left side for some of the lights in the right hand unit. left hand unit is plug n play i ran wiring across from the left under the door sil to the right to get everything working on the right once done looks great and very bright

hope this helps

boots
2nd November 2011, 08:40 PM
tappethead my gu series 3 came with clear alteeza style rear lights not working except reverse . got the ebay ones too and all good now .
left side the wiring harness was there ,plug in and all worked . not so for the right side , no loom . looked high and low for it but could not find it
so wired it up myself from the bottom bumper light . I recommend soldering the wires and use heatshrink to seal the joints . looks real neat
when your done. far better than electrical tape . jmo .

satyx
2nd November 2011, 11:30 PM
i replaced my dummy lights with working lights from www.carsrus.com.au on the sunshine coast cost me including gst and frieght $144.00 approx only issue is when wiring you will need to run a lume from the left side for some of the lights in the right hand unit. left hand unit is plug n play i ran wiring across from the left under the door sil to the right to get everything working on the right once done looks great and very bright

hope this helps

Those look good. Do the kits come with regular bulbs? Would it possible to adapt them easily to LED?

Bagheera
3rd November 2011, 09:02 AM
I drilled my factory lights to take bulb holders, ran the loom for the reverse light across the rear sill, and tapped the lower lights for power. Total cost as about $50-60 and ~2 hours of drilling and filing to make the bulb holders fit. The bulb holders and wiring is occasionally sold as kit on eBay.

I then fitted all the lights with LEDs to reduce the current draw, otherwise you would need to increase the fuse amperage due to the extra load of the extra incandescent bulbs.

hekarewe
3rd November 2011, 09:11 PM
Those look good. Do the kits come with regular bulbs? Would it possible to adapt them easily to LED?

the one i got come complete with wireing and globes dont think they can be converted but anything is possible

boots
4th November 2011, 09:28 PM
satyx , mine were not regular type bulbs / globes . they are a '' big size '' wedge type globe . pretty sure from memory the reverse light- left side original is the same . I had not seen this size wedge type globe/s until I changed mine . but so far so good .

Arwon
6th November 2011, 05:13 PM
Mine off eBay, $135 delivered to the door. Fitted well and looks like they were meant to be there.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/11/11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the spelling.

satyx
8th November 2011, 10:39 PM
hmmm ....... i might add these to my christmas wish list to Santa....LOL

Skull
15th November 2011, 09:22 PM
The reason that patrol and many other makes of car in Oz don't have these working is ADR compliancy. It is deemed by the guys on the big bucks that all lights on the rear of the vehichle must be visable from 45 deg each side of the cars axis. With the spare wheel fitted to the back door the drivers side light is obscured from 30 deg. The ARAB release cars had them working. It is NOT illeagle to fit working replacements. I beleive it is madness not as these are the lights which the guy following you has clear in his field of vission. Big red brake light looking thing, not the lil reflector looking thing in the bumper. I think that even though not really ADR compliant it should still function. The only reason not to do this mod would be if you had twin wheel carrier which would obscure this anyway. Easy mod. Pull em out, buy some push in lamp holders, drill with spade bit to receive the holders, wire up parrallel to other lights. Done. One tip use LED bulbs as they will not increase the current and blow fuses like fillament lamps will.

marcelo64
11th August 2019, 04:32 PM
Hi there. I've purchased after market replacements from Sydney as my covers were cracked. as mentioned in your post, they came with the required wiring, but after fitting them, neither indicators or dash flashers work. I've checked all the globes and connections, but to no avail. Tail, stop lamps and revering lights all work. Any suggestions as to where to go from here (other than an auto electrician)?

Dr Gary
25th August 2019, 06:47 PM
My ebay replacement lamps have been working for more than 4 years. Basically need to get the wiring correct off the existing lights. Yes, you do need to make a loom to get side to side, but nothing forward of the lights. I love mine

Cremulator
25th August 2019, 07:45 PM
My ebay replacement lamps have been working for more than 4 years. Basically need to get the wiring correct off the existing lights. Yes, you do need to make a loom to get side to side, but nothing forward of the lights. I love mineHave you been using the old style incandescent bulbs or newer LED style bulbs?