PDA

View Full Version : Touring, what to take...or not !

katwoman
31st October 2011, 12:55 AM
Katrol is almost ready to start a 14-16 day tour over xmas and I've never really done this type before.
I have really only done weekenders and then towing trailer or van.
This time it is just Katrol and a roofrack.
So, how do I cut back on stuff ? Whats an absolute nessecitiy and what is not. I'm wondering how the hell it's all going to fit.
2 tents
3 swags
toolbox, recovery gear, esky and/or fridge, campbox( consisting of tinned food and utensils), cooking gear, chainsaw, shovel, axe, tarps.......
What goes in the car, what goes on the roof?
AND the kids want to come.....
Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.... PLEASE !!

patch697
31st October 2011, 12:57 AM
Yep.... Ditch the kids.....heaps more room & a lot less to take....................hahahahahahaha

You'll thank me later... I promise you..................LMFAO

katwoman
31st October 2011, 01:00 AM
Yep.... Ditch the kids.....heaps more room & a lot less to take....................hahahahahahaha

You'll thank me later... I promise you..................LMFAO

You offering to babysit ????
You're a champion.

patch697
31st October 2011, 01:20 AM
You offering to babysit ????
You're a champion.

No worries mate....... They'll get quite an education I can assure you.................ROFLMFAO

DX grunt
31st October 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Kat

Not sure how many kids you're taking, or where you're going (terrain), but to be honest, I'm not a fan of putting anything on roofracks for extended periods.

Putting lots of stuff on a roof rack changes the centre of gravity and increases the chance of tipping over. Personally, if I was going to take kids and a heap of gear, and I hadn't done it many times before, I'd be hiring an off road trailer for the 2 weeks. Stuff would be much easier to get at and more OSH friendly.

You need to be fully aware of sudden cross winds. Your truck will probably handle differently, too. I sheet myself when my truck gets hit by a sudden cross wind - ya gotta be on your toes.

I've only started serious camping this year, and I'm still learning what to take and what not to take. With practice, I'll refine it.

Just my 2c worth.

Enjoy your hols and don't forget the pics.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Sir Roofy
31st October 2011, 09:51 AM
katrol is almost ready to start a 14-16 day tour over xmas and i've never really done this type before.
I have really only done weekenders and then towing trailer or van.
This time it is just katrol and a roofrack.
So, how do i cut back on stuff ? Whats an absolute nessecitiy and what is not. I'm wondering how the hell it's all going to fit.
2 tents
3 swags
toolbox, recovery gear, esky and/or fridge, campbox( consisting of tinned food and utensils), cooking gear, chainsaw, shovel, axe, tarps.......
What goes in the car, what goes on the roof?
And the kids want to come.....
Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.... Please !!

tents,swags,shovel,axe,tarps up top bieng light,break the chain saw down put in recovery box
and put up top,carefullpacking of clothes will be needed,warm if the weather changes and cool if hot
and not a set for each day hahaha you forgot the most important part the rods?

Good luck mate,with the planning

Sir Roofy
31st October 2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Kat Jane here. I reckon you should hire a camper trailer when you get there. Alot easier to set up and pack up every day
and more room for all the gear (clothes and food) One similar to ABs new one would be perfect. No ropes and pegs!
You can still go bush with it. They usually have an annex or you could take a tarp for shelter. Just a suggestion.

Maxhead
1st November 2011, 05:46 PM
One thing for sure, TAKE THE KIDS! there is nothing better then the experience they will gain doing a trip like this ..unless they're less the 5yrs old, even then its worth it.
Tenst and sleeping bags are small so it shouldn't be an issue.

I take same gear if I go for a day or a week so the common gear you take should do.

You can pack a ship loads on the roof...light stuff only in a waterproof bag.

my 3c

NissanGQ4.2
1st November 2011, 07:05 PM
Don't Take: Kids

Absolute Necessity: Me *L*, I could do with a few weeks away camping :)

Bulbous
2nd November 2011, 07:25 AM
If it's only one vehicle then take the kids - ditch the recovery gear.
When you get stuck and kids start moaning, throw irritating kids under wheels to provide extra traction and drive out. Works every time. :)

If it's more than one vehicle then take the kids - ditch the recovery gear.
When you get stuck and kids start moaning, throw irritating kids under wheels to provide extra traction and drive out. Works every time. :)

More seriously - keep the heavy stuff as low as possible to keep COG low. Also it may be illegal to use kids as traction ladders

Steve