PDA

View Full Version : Flat 2nd battery and recharging

skippy192
29th October 2011, 12:36 PM
I have a 98 2.8L patrol with a dual battery setup. I recently discovered that the aux sockets wouldnt run any accessories. Checked fuses and connections. All good. Put a voltmeter on the battery and I was only getting 1.37 volts.
Q1. How do I recharge it?
Q2. What would make the battery charge drain as I dont use them often, only when we go camping or on day trips?

Thanks

Yendor
29th October 2011, 03:38 PM
If the battery is only showing 1.37 volts I would say it's stuffed.

If you still want to try and charge the battery, you may need to parallel the battery with another good battery while on a battery charger to try and force it to take a charge.

If you have an ammeter you will need to check if something in the vehicle is draining the battery and also check that your dual battery isolator is working correctly.

Cheers Rodney

Sir Roofy
29th October 2011, 03:52 PM
my guess is the battery is stuffed as well wouldnt bother trying to charge,by all means tho check dual batt set up might be loose connections check alternator may not be putting out enough volts

good luck with it

skippy192
29th October 2011, 07:27 PM
thanks for your input guys. The battery in question is an NRMA heavy duty with an indicator window that is displaying "recharge". Would you still call it done? Thanks again

Sir Roofy
29th October 2011, 07:35 PM
thanks for your input guys. The battery in question is an NRMA heavy duty with an indicator window that is displaying "recharge". Would you still call it done? Thanks again

charge it up and see how long it lasts but if you run your fridge of it set it going put a couple of bottles of water in the fridge just to give it
something to work on before you head of any where

Yendor
29th October 2011, 07:39 PM
I would be very surprised if the battery was not stuffed.

But you have nothing to lose by charging it up and then having it tested.

the ferret
29th October 2011, 07:55 PM
Charge it up fer a couple of days and then test the specific gravity on each cell, but I think yendor is right, he usually is!!

bundy4127
25th January 2012, 09:57 AM
Can't imagine how the battery will recover. Yendor is probably right.