PDA

View Full Version : 1995 gq horn plate

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 12:30 AM
Hi All,

Looking for a "Horn Plate" for my 1995 GQ 2.8 Turbo Diesel Patrol. :driving2:

Can anybody help me ? :bowdown: I have searched wreckers here in Perth to no avail. :1087::

I've been driving around without a horn plate for a while and it's bugging me.
It's over $200 for a new one......sheesh !! :animierte-smilies-f

Susan (Mad Max)

patch697
27th October 2011, 12:38 AM
I take it yours has done what most do & warn through in the spot you need it most???

If so you have a few options here:

1, There are a few Nissan's that have the same ring in them.... Can't remember off the top of my head which ones they are but someone on here will im sure.

2, Do what I did & make up a new one. I made up a new ring out of stainless steel & it works a treat.... Its surprisingly not that hard either.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 12:47 AM
Ok...great idea (except that I'm female....make one ??!!) I might look into getting someone to help me out :-) I was surprised to see how many different models of steering wheels there are for Nissan Patrols !!! I had to take a pic and email it to wreckers so they knew which type before I wasted my time driving the Km's to each :-)

patch697
27th October 2011, 12:49 AM
I take it yours has done what most do & warn through in the spot you need it most???

If so you have a few options here:

1, There are a few Nissan's that have the same ring in them.... Can't remember off the top of my head which ones they are but someone on here will im sure.

2, Do what I did & make up a new one. I made up a new ring out of stainless steel & it works a treat.... Its surprisingly not that hard either.

Re your answer to this question in your intro......

What condition is your steering wheel in???..... Most are pretty shot by now & an after market wheel will see the horn problem sorted & give you a flash new wheel while your at it.

Most places will fit it while you wait as well which is a bit of a bonus.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 01:04 AM
What condition is your steering wheel in???..... Most are pretty shot by now & an after market wheel will see the horn problem sorted & give you a flash new wheel while your at it.

Most places will fit it while you wait as well which is a bit of a bonus.

My steering wheel is in good condition. The indicator flicker that clicks the indicator off after you've turned has worn and doesn't click off anymore....so now I have to do it manually....but that's separate isn't it ? I've been told it's fiddly to replace the indicator thingy ??

patch697
27th October 2011, 01:18 AM
My steering wheel is in good condition. The indicator flicker that clicks the indicator off after you've turned has worn and doesn't click off anymore....so now I have to do it manually....but that's separate isn't it ? I've been told it's fiddly to replace the indicator thingy ??

I really couldn't answer that with out seeing whats gone wrong there only to say if its ture to form then its not a big job.

If you willing to have a go at things yourself & you get to know a few of the nenbers here that live over your way then you'll be pretty well set mate for A: info & B a helping hand.....

Your very new here but that don't matter much to us, we just treat everyone that wants to join in part of the family (so to speak) & if you need help with repairs & things you'll find it here.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks once again......I do like to do things myself because I like to learn and I hate relying on mechanics etc. The last time I took her to auto bahn.....they buggered her up.....all I wanted was the timing belt done....they ended up putting a new radiator in her and had her for a couple of weeks.....4 days after getting her back the diff blew......a big dent in my bank balance later and I couldnt prove that they hadn't filled the radiator up. so I was then without my girl for another month. Lesson learned for me. Up til then I'd had no problems with her.

patch697
27th October 2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks once again......I do like to do things myself because I like to learn and I hate relying on mechanics etc. The last time I took her to auto bahn.....they buggered her up.....all I wanted was the timing belt done....they ended up putting a new radiator in her and had her for a couple of weeks.....4 days after getting her back the diff blew......a big dent in my bank balance later and I couldnt prove that they hadn't filled the radiator up. so I was then without my girl for another month. Lesson learned for me. Up til then I'd had no problems with her.

Its all in the gentile touch mate. They know who love them Of this I have no doubt.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 01:35 AM
God I was furious with them. Never again will I take it to that franchise in Mindarie WA. I've had two patrols.....they've both been so reliable. Ness just keeps going and going and never complains......an unusual female she is :-) haha

patch697
27th October 2011, 01:42 AM
God I was furious with them. Never again will I take it to that franchise in Mindarie WA. I've had two patrols.....they've both been so reliable. Ness just keeps going and going and never complains......an unusual female she is :-) haha

There is the odd good female out there......................hahahahahahahahahaha

I like you started off in an MQ then went up to the GQ. I still miss that tough old Rig even to this day.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 01:50 AM
Yer...I had her re-sprayed because she had that problem with the paint when they were experimenting taking the lead out all those years ago and the bonnet was looking a bit dismal after being rubbed back so many times......she was getting down to the metal. Sp we got her re-sprayed (she was red) but the new red was soooooo nice.....and it took a lot to scratch her unlike Ness who shows the slightest rub mark. We also got her air conditioned. Then some silly woman ran into me just after I got her back......got her fixed then realised I was bloody pregnant. Sheesh.....cried when I sold her and my ex husband couldn't believe that I was crying over a vehicle....neither could I. I just blamed it on hormones haha Then we took Ness home and she soon stole my heart haha......jesus....listen to me will ya :-) !!!!!

patch697
27th October 2011, 01:56 AM
Yer...I had her re-sprayed because she had that problem with the paint when they were experimenting taking the lead out all those years ago and the bonnet was looking a bit dismal after being rubbed back so many times......she was getting down to the metal. Sp we got her re-sprayed (she was red) but the new red was soooooo nice.....and it took a lot to scratch her unlike Ness who shows the slightest rub mark. We also got her air conditioned. Then some silly woman ran into me just after I got her back......got her fixed then realised I was bloody pregnant. Sheesh.....cried when I sold her and my ex husband couldn't believe that I was crying over a vehicle....neither could I. I just blamed it on hormones haha Then we took Ness home and she soon stole my heart haha......jesus....listen to me will ya :-) !!!!!

A grown Man will cry over he's Patrol so no explanation needed.

Your gonna fit in just fine around here mate.......................hahashahahahahah

Clunk
27th October 2011, 01:58 AM
awwwwwww you can just feel the love in here that's for sure!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 02:06 AM
Yeah....I miss mine also. I don't miss the suspension though.....man, my ass was so sore after a long trip or a good bout of 4Wdriving haha

patch697
27th October 2011, 02:12 AM
Yeah....I miss mine also. I don't miss the suspension though.....man, my ass was so sore after a long trip or a good bout of 4Wdriving haha

Like you I don't regret moving into the GQ, not by a long shot, its a better Rig all round but I had some sh1thot times in the old Rig. It was bloody good for me & to me.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 02:21 AM
Hahahahaha I too had some GREAT times in my older girl ~wink~ hahahahahahahaha

and thanks for the big welcome here......I'm going to get addicted I can tell......love talking about my Ness.......but then I just love cars in general. I've had offers to buy Ness because they reckon she's been so looked after....but no way hoss'ay......I just couldn't.

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 02:25 AM
Trying to find my way around this site is a bit confusing for me......but I'll just have to come back so that I get used to it. I better get to bed though.....I can hear my pillow calling me !! Thanks so much guys.....I must take a piccy of Ness and post up here instead of everyone looking at my bloody mugshot.
Ness is a Forest Green colour with a metallic fleck.....she's got tinted windows....roo bar...side bars....spotties and the flares and of course the wider tyres....we put them on her before we drove her out of Total Nissan. My god she looked beautiful....coz beforehand she had no tinting...skinny tyres no flares, no fruit.....not even spotties......she looked so lonely....amazing what a bit of spoiling can do.....she purred :-)

Clunk
27th October 2011, 02:30 AM
Trying to find my way around this site is a bit confusing for me......but I'll just have to come back so that I get used to it. I better get to bed though.....I can hear my pillow calling me !! Thanks so much guys.....I must take a piccy of Ness and post up here instead of everyone looking at my bloody mugshot.
Ness is a Forest Green colour with a metallic fleck.....she's got tinted windows....roo bar...side bars....spotties and the flares and of course the wider tyres....we put them on her before we drove her out of Total Nissan. My god she looked beautiful....coz beforehand she had no tinting...skinny tyres no flares, no fruit.....not even spotties......she looked so lonely....amazing what a bit of spoiling can do.....she purred :-)
well if you;re anything like some of us in here and like a good yarn........ head on over the THE NIGHT SHIFT thread, it saves cluttering up your own threads then................. and dont forget those piccies, we like piccies here !!!!! hahahahaha

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 02:42 AM
Ok thanks for the tip......I was starting to think that the scrolling down was getting a bit tedious :-) Piccies....People must get sick of piccies of Patrols here !! ;-) hehe

Clunk
27th October 2011, 02:46 AM
Ok thanks for the tip......I was starting to think that the scrolling down was getting a bit tedious :-) Piccies....People must get sick of piccies of Patrols here !! ;-) hehe

hahaha yeah you'd think that hey!!!!! but no, it's good to see what other have done to their rigs and where they've been etc etc.................... you can usually get good ideas from them

madmaxtechnology
27th October 2011, 02:51 AM
I flicked over but then got lost haha where's that bloody map book.....now turn it upside down for me !!! ;-)) Best I go to bed anyway....nite nite...catcha next time.

Clunk
27th October 2011, 02:53 AM
I flicked over but then got lost haha where's that bloody map book.....now turn it upside down for me !!! ;-)) Best I go to bed anyway....nite nite...catcha next time.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time............... good nite and take it easy

madmaxtechnology
28th October 2011, 03:15 PM
Re your answer to this question in your intro......

What condition is your steering wheel in???..... Most are pretty shot by now & an after market wheel will see the horn problem sorted & give you a flash new wheel while your at it

I figured i'd get another 2nd hand steering wheel & just take the Horn Plate off it & put onto mine. I might take a pic today of my steering wheel so ppl can see what type i have & see my horn.

Clunk
28th October 2011, 03:20 PM
I figured i'd get another 2nd hand steering wheel & just take the Horn Plate off it & put onto mine. I might take a pic today of my steering wheel so ppl can see what type i have & see my horn.

oh you and your horn!!!!!!!! hahahahahahah

would probably help to stick up a pic

madmaxtechnology
28th October 2011, 03:24 PM
oh you and your horn!!!!!!!! hahahahahahah

would probably help to stick up a pic

Yeah, i'll try n do that today coz i'm sick of hitting the horn & it feels soft n empty when it should be hard, just doesnt honk as well either. I feel incomplete without it ;-)

Clunk
28th October 2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, i'll try n do that today coz i'm sick of hitting the horn & it feels soft n empty when it should be hard, just doesnt honk as well either. I feel incomplete without it ;-)

No comment!!!!!!!! hahahaha

madmaxtechnology
28th October 2011, 06:17 PM
Ok.....Took 2 pics today.......Now you can see what I have.

1 Pic of Steering Wheel.....then took cover off & took another Pic to show you my HORN !!!! Notice that the plate is missing. That's what I'm after....or after another steering wheel the same so I can just take the horn plate off and pop onto my horn rather than taking the whole steering wheel off.
Cheers
Susan

NissanGQ4.2
28th October 2011, 06:20 PM
Ok.....Took 2 pics today.......Now you can see what I have.

1 Pic of Steering Wheel.....then took cover off & took another Pic to show you my HORN !!!! Notice that the plate is missing. That's what I'm after....or after another steering wheel the same so I can just take the horn plate off and pop onto my horn rather than taking the whole steering wheel off.
Cheers
Susan

Hi Susan, no pics........try again :)

madmaxtechnology
28th October 2011, 06:28 PM
http://http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/album.php?albumid=231I've worked out how to get them into an Album......hoping I've got this next bit right.........here goes.....

madmaxtechnology
28th October 2011, 06:33 PM
Seems I have no idea as to what I'm doing :-( Help !!

NissanGQ4.2
28th October 2011, 06:45 PM
Seems I have no idea as to what I'm doing :-( Help !!

Susan have a read of this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?666-How-To-Ask-a-Question-or-How-To-Upload-Photos.&highlight=uploading+photos

If you still have trouble just yell out

cheers

Todd

my third 256
29th October 2011, 09:32 AM
hi had the same problem when some idiot cut me off hit the horn hard and the plate shattered i cut the top of a20 litr mayonaze bucket (the ones they sell at some fish and chip shops or supermarkets )and with a bit of trial and error it works very well
hope this helps stephen

madmaxtechnology
30th October 2011, 12:27 PM
hi had the same problem when some idiot cut me off hit the horn hard and the plate shattered i cut the top of a20 litr mayonaze bucket (the ones they sell at some fish and chip shops or supermarkets )and with a bit of trial and error it works very well
hope this helps stephen

Thanks Stephen.....might give that a go. Cool. Thanks. Hey, it was hard to read yr post coz each letter posts on 1 line so yr whole reply looked like a
laddered trail of letters :-) I had to click "Reply with Quote" just so i could read what u had written. Just thought i'd let u know. Cheers 4 that :-)

madmaxtechnology
30th October 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks 4 helping me get those pics up Patch :-)

my third 256
31st October 2011, 02:45 AM
Thanks Stephen.....might give that a go. Cool. Thanks. Hey, it was hard to read yr post coz each letter posts on 1 line so yr whole reply looked like a
laddered trail of letters :-) I had to click "Reply with Quote" just so i could read what u had written. Just thought i'd let u know. Cheers 4 that :-)
dont know what happened there mine is ok

madmaxtechnology
31st October 2011, 03:28 AM
dont know what happened there mine is ok

That's ok.....I think it was me.....I was viewing it via my phone haha !! Ignore it.....sorry.

nowoolies
31st October 2011, 09:39 AM
g`day Susan
have you tried these guys
Perth 4wd centre
ph/9-470-1755
they seem to have just about everything

madmaxtechnology
31st October 2011, 09:07 PM
g`day Susan
have you tried these guys
Perth 4wd centre
ph/9-470-1755
they seem to have just about everything

Yeah...I tried EVERY 4WD place in Perth. No one had the same steering wheel as me whatsoever. Even took pics and emailed them to some.
Haven't looked for a while though....gave up......hence posting it and wondering whether anyone knew of a steering wheel like mine sitting around or had taken off their's and replaced with a new one :-)

So.....my horn remains soft and empty.....no hard plate over it for the time being. I should call them again. Thanks :-)