PDA

View Full Version : Towing lights problem

Madcatter
26th October 2011, 10:36 PM
I recently purchased a Patrol and towed my van only to notice the brake lights do not work. Parking and indicating lights work. The only thing that I can think of is the previous owner removed an electric brake controller. Without having had too much of a look I think he just cut the wires from the controller and that was it. Would that prevent the brake lights from working?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

MC

Yendor
26th October 2011, 10:51 PM
Is it the brake lights on your van only that don't work? or do the brake lights on your Patrol also not work?

Madcatter
26th October 2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry, Good question. Just on the Van.

Yendor
26th October 2011, 11:31 PM
I don't think the removing of the electric brake controller is the cause of your problem, the electric brakes use a separate wire to the brake lights through the trailer plug.

If your van lights and wiring are ok then you problem is more then likely because scotch-locks were used to connect your trailer plug harness into the vehicle harness or a bad or loose connection in the trailer plug or the trailer plug has been wired incorrectly.

Silver
27th October 2011, 12:39 AM
Or it could be that there is a problem in the plug at the tow bar. If the male pins on that plug are split, they can be gently eased a little wider. That often helps make a good connection from plug to plug.

If you had access to a helper on the brake pedal, and a test light or multi meter, you could confirm you are getting power to the socket.

Madcatter
29th October 2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. Silver you were bang on. I just eased them open a little and it worked a treat.

Thanks again to those that replied.

Cheers and beers.

Yendor
29th October 2011, 03:22 PM
Good stuff, I 'm glad you go it sorted.