PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a 111mm holesaw???

BearGUST
26th October 2011, 09:49 PM
Hi All,
I've bought a Safari Snorkel for my 2002 GU ZD30, and looking to do the install.
The instructions specify a 111mm hole to be drilled, I looked at buying the holesaw but thought $60 was a bit steep for something I'd only use once - has anyone bought one and want a payment (possibly in beer) for a loan of it???

AB
26th October 2011, 10:10 PM
You can use my nibbler if you want to mate but for the time and money in fuel to drive a 3 hour round trip I'm not sure it would be worth your while.

Also, the nibbler won't give a perfect circle (depends on how steady your hand is) so not sure if you have much tolerance with the hole either....Never done a Safari snorkel before.

See how you go with this post for a few days anyway...

MudRunnerTD
27th October 2011, 12:36 AM
yeah mate, if you have the template then just mark it up and use a nibbler if you have one. Alternatively, just drill out around the hole with a smaller bit, 6mm or so. it will be a heap of holes but you will save yourself $60 on a hole saw that will likely not do the job due to the panel profile anyway.

Lets face it your only drilling through panel steel, it aint gunna take much drilling. Then clean it up with a dremel or a file. Not a big deal with panel steel. you will get a really tidy job like that too.

Get into it mate. Easy as.

Maxhead
27th October 2011, 06:31 AM
Hi All,
I've bought a Safari Snorkel for my 2002 GU ZD30, and looking to do the install.
The instructions specify a 111mm hole to be drilled, I looked at buying the holesaw but thought $60 was a bit steep for something I'd only use once - has anyone bought one and want a payment (possibly in beer) for a loan of it???

You're a brave man...good luck with it mate...

BearGUST
1st November 2011, 12:55 AM
Well, today was the day. I got a hold of a holesaw but I was cutting the mustard (or the panel)...
I ended up just drilling a series of holes, cutting between them with a hacksaw blade and then hand filing it all. I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to do it that way. So a big thank you for your advice guys!
Other than the hole the job was a bit fiddly but not too bad.

AB
1st November 2011, 08:26 AM
Well, today was the day. I got a hold of a holesaw but I was cutting the mustard (or the panel)...
I ended up just drilling a series of holes, cutting between them with a hacksaw blade and then hand filing it all. I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to do it that way. So a big thank you for your advice guys!
Other than the hole the job was a bit fiddly but not too bad.

Photos????

BearGUST
3rd November 2011, 01:30 PM
Sorry to say... I didn't take camera or phone with me... I don't have a garage at home so I go back to the oldies to do all work on the car, I've been spending plenty of time there lately!