PDA

View Full Version : AB's camper trailer build

AB
24th October 2011, 08:23 PM
Thought I would start a DIY thread on my project camper trailer.

This is an old 7x5 box trailer possibly used for a small pony carter or something like that.

It's full of rust and needs a lot of love but you will eventually see the transformation below...

This is not an offroad camper but more of the family camper for trips on the Murray with minimal offroading to get to the camping spots.

Pics below of the state it is in at the moment. Fairly rusty and neglected...

growler2058
24th October 2011, 08:26 PM
Wheres yer fuel cap door mate??

AB
24th October 2011, 08:28 PM
First step is to get the grinder with wire brush attachments and remove the rust.

This was not the funnest job in the world by no means. In fact I would suggest getting some decent masks as I only had the dodgy paper masks and after doing this I blew my nose afterwards and the stuff that came out was incredible let alone what went into my lungs!

Applied shiploads of rust converter where necessary to hopefully stop the process!!!

AB
24th October 2011, 08:29 PM
Wheres yer fuel cap door mate??

I had to use that to match the paint on the respray I did the other day...lol....Good pick up!

It's back on now...

AB
24th October 2011, 08:30 PM
Ok, all cleaned, bogged, primed and ready for some colour....TBC

Maxhead
24th October 2011, 08:37 PM
Mate, I'm sure your mind wasn't 100% on the job, I can't see any stubbys sitting around the place...that's not like you!...LOLOL

I'm sure the trailer will come up a treat if your other work is any indication...looking good

AB
24th October 2011, 08:42 PM
Mate, I'm sure your mind wasn't 100% on the job, I can't see any stubbys sitting around the place...that's not like you!...LOLOL

I'm sure the trailer will come up a treat if your other work is any indication...looking good

I never drink on the job mate (unless you need precision work done to keep the nerves down...lol).

You gotta earn your beers mate...

Maxhead
24th October 2011, 08:47 PM
Hahahahahahah, I have heard it all now! lol

frenzy
24th October 2011, 09:44 PM
c'mon! what colour? what colour!

AB
24th October 2011, 09:51 PM
c'mon! what colour? what colour!

Well....I really want to spray it Blue like the Patrol but I'm trying so damn hard to save money I'm not sure I should/can buy new paint as I will need to spend the money on accessories inside.

I have loads of paint in the shed and I just found white and Indian Red exterior paint...LMAO

I have to paint it this weekend coming so I'm trying hard to make a decision this week...Any help appreciated...lol

Inside will be white for sure...

Sir Roofy
25th October 2011, 08:49 AM
Well....I really want to spray it Blue like the Patrol but I'm trying so damn hard to save money I'm not sure I should/can buy new paint as I will need to spend the money on accessories inside.

I have loads of paint in the shed and I just found white and Indian Red exterior paint...LMAO

I have to paint it this weekend coming so I'm trying hard to make a decision this week...Any help appreciated...lol

hi andy why not use up all your part full tins and make it a rainbow

will be a batty master peice, mate will be priceless

patch697
25th October 2011, 09:44 AM
hi andy why not use up all your part full tins and make it a rainbow

will be a batty master peice, mate will be priceless

I take it you volunteering to tow it everywhere for him mate..............lol

Sir Roofy
25th October 2011, 12:16 PM
I take it you volunteering to tow it everywhere for him mate..............lol

if he is too shy and puts in the fuel ill tow it for him

MikeM
28th October 2011, 12:52 AM
have you decided on a colour?

MikeM
28th October 2011, 12:55 AM
green. green is nice. :) - does anyone else recall "running on empty" the movie?

Clunk
28th October 2011, 01:13 AM

If ya got the white n red already................ mix it up and hey prestoooooooooooo........... a lovely shde of manly pink!!!!!!! hahahahaha

Or if ya got some black too, do a spot of urban camo

patch697
28th October 2011, 01:19 AM
green. green is nice. :) - does anyone else recall "running on empty" the movie?

Oh yeah mate..... Thats a sweet noise you got there.......................... lol

AB
28th October 2011, 06:41 AM
Ummm I might have surprise to show the forum which will pretty much end this thread...lol

I found something last night on Ebay which I have always dreamed about getting (waiting for the wise cracks now...lol) and I asked the seller if he had a buy it now price and he replied he would be happy to sell it for X....I couldnt believe what the figure he gave me...

I am now waiting on a phone call today, hence the reason I am at 5:30am in the morning as I can't sleep....lol...I replied back saying SOLD SOLD SOLD...lol

Not sure how I am going to get the money for this thing but sometimes in life you just gotta take an opportunity when it comes because I dont think something like this will come again!!!

Anyways, if all goes well then Ill paint this white and sell it again...lol...My god I am hopeless sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DX grunt
28th October 2011, 09:55 AM
Ummm I might have surprise to show the forum which will pretty much end this thread...lol

I found something last night on Ebay which I have always dreamed about getting (waiting for the wise cracks now...lol)

..I replied back saying SOLD SOLD SOLD...lol

1st wise crack - lol

It's an orange VW Kombi that's painted in that many colours we won't be sure if it was painted like that on purpose, or, tagged. lol
We'll see the love beads swinging from the inside mirror, and the peace sign painted on the truck, somewhere amongst the graffiti.

We love pics. We wanna see AB with his sweat soaked bandanna wearing his G banger. lol

Seriously, mate. Well done and all the best for your new acquisition. Before you lock the thread, show us the pics. lol

AB
28th October 2011, 10:42 AM
Well, It's done!

I just scored something I have been after for many many many years!!!

I pick it up on Sunday so I'll show the pics and explain more then.

I'll have to now finish the spray on this trailer and pray that I get good money for it now...LMAO

DX grunt
28th October 2011, 10:47 AM
Well, It's done!

I'll have to now finish the spray on this trailer and pray that I get good money for it now...LMAO

Well done and congrats!!!!

Rossco

nowoolies
28th October 2011, 11:00 AM
you should`nt have any problems selling the old one after a coat of pink paint hahahahahaha

Maxhead
28th October 2011, 11:50 AM
Well, It's done!

Hahaha, that was quick, no mucking around ey!

Mazodude
28th October 2011, 02:42 PM
AB, Does the Handbrake know you are spending more money? :D

Bob
28th October 2011, 02:44 PM
Will we see the new addition on the Craigs Hut trip ????

Maxhead
28th October 2011, 05:23 PM
We want pics NOW!

AB
28th October 2011, 09:29 PM
AB, Does the Handbrake know you are spending more money? :D

The handbrake is all for it mate. She hates camping so the princess is happy. She did say "there goes my engagement ring" though... Lol

AB
28th October 2011, 09:29 PM
Will we see the new addition on the Craigs Hut trip ????

I hope so mate I hope so

AB
28th October 2011, 09:30 PM
We want pics NOW!

2 days mate. Trust me I'm hanging so bad to get my hands on this!!!

AB
31st October 2011, 03:48 PM
I thought I better finish this thread off as I have bought a Windsor camper van and this thread will not be finished now...lol

Anyways, I spent all day today trying to finish it off so I can sell it and get some funds back.

It's hard to work on something that you know your going to sell in a week or two...No passion but I did the job properly and It's pretty much finished apart from a coat of paint on the walls inside and job done!

GUtsy ute
31st October 2011, 03:52 PM
Looks good AB,
That should sell without too much trouble.

AB
31st October 2011, 07:26 PM
Arrrr!!!!

After consuming some well earned beverages I'm having second thoughts selling this...lol

Let's work out some figures....

I paid $400 for this, spent 3 days of labour and $100 worth of materials (rust converter, primer and paint).

Now, 3 days of my time...How much is that worth...lol....Let's just say I'm on a bargain basement day of labour 33% off so I'm only charging $100 for the day...BARGAIN!

So This owes me $800.

I don't think I would even get my money back personally.

This would be a great all round trailer. 2.15m x 1.5m inside. I can get wood and cart things around the property. I can pick up items anywhere in the pouring rain and it will be dry!

I can even cart a pony if I had to...lol

Unless I could sell it for $1000 which I highly doubt then is it really worth selling it to break even minus the 3 days of pain I put into this thing?

All the work is done. Rust is gone and it will last many years now....

Can someone make a decision for me...LMAO

Silver
31st October 2011, 07:41 PM
list it for the price you want and see what happens

Clunk
31st October 2011, 07:42 PM
Sell it sell it sell it...... Lol no harm I'm sticking it up in the free ads to see what sort of interest you get...... Just don't sell it to the first person who shows interest..... Hold out for the full amount and if it doesn't sell, then you've got yourself a handy little trailer.

Finly Owner
31st October 2011, 11:01 PM
Says the man who own a black fully blown 57 chev and is blind as a bat.

Finly Owner
31st October 2011, 11:06 PM
AB a trailer like that up here would get you a grand easy as long as the rims are painted and tyres have decent tread say 50%.

Tim

Dark 1
31st October 2011, 11:46 PM
So where's the photos of the new camper.

Sell it mate........unless your a hoarder.

timbar
1st November 2011, 12:46 AM
So where's the photos of the new camper.

Sell it mate........unless your a hoarder.

yeah comon AB we want Piccies of the New One Now !!!!!

Oh Good job on the trailer looking good mate !!

doesnt hurt to start the price a bit high and then drop it after a couple a weeks to see what happens !! good luck mate

AB
1st November 2011, 08:24 AM
AB a trailer like that up here would get you a grand easy as long as the rims are painted and tyres have decent tread say 50%.

Tim

Hey Timbo, yeah the tyres are almost new. I might just wang it in Ebay for a grand and see what happens....

AB
1st November 2011, 08:25 AM
Here you go boys, photos and info of the new camper below...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1360-Andys-Photos/page8

AB
1st November 2011, 09:08 PM
Well I just put it on Ebay, starting bid $890...lol...Dreaming!

I did a full sob story on hard I worked on it so we'll so how it goes!!!

Sir Roofy
1st November 2011, 09:27 PM
Well I just put it on Ebay, starting bid $890...lol...Dreaming!

I did a full sob story on hard I worked on it so we'll so how it goes!!!

if it dosent sell why not use it as a hire trailer out of your work yard

AB
4th November 2011, 09:52 PM
Well I won't be able to tell you guys how much I ended up selling this for.

My brother's misses needs a box trailer as she is selling horse equipment (rugs, ties, etc) and she is hitting her first market tomorrow and to be honest this trailer is perfect for that.

So I can't sell it to him for a price that I hoped for...Gave it to him for $800...lol

Anyways, for what It's worth I had 16 people watching the item on Ebay and I just saw 5 questions from buyers asking for a buy it now price and other questions so I'm slightly guttered that I could have sold for in excess of $1000...Possibly more by the interest shown...

Anyways, Family first as you all know!!!!!

Maxhead
4th November 2011, 09:58 PM
Well I won't be able to tell you guys how much I ended up selling this for.

My brother's misses needs a box trailer as she is selling horse equipment (rugs, ties, etc) and she is hitting her first market tomorrow and to be honest this trailer is perfect for that.

So I can't sell it to him for a price that I hoped for...Gave it to him for $800...lol

Anyways, for what It's worth I had 16 people watching the item on Ebay and I just saw 5 questions from buyers asking for a buy it now price and other questions so I'm slightly guttered that I could have sold for in excess of $1000...Possibly more by the interest shown...

Anyways, Family first as you all know!!!!!

Oh well mate, its a good deed man!, just a pity you could have got a couple of grand for it :)

AB
4th November 2011, 10:00 PM
Oh well mate, its a good deed man!, just a pity you could have got a couple of grand for it :)

Don't make this harder then it is for me fancy pants...lol

AB
4th November 2011, 10:33 PM
At least 3k i reckon.

LOL!

Don't you start sunshine...LMAO

Clunk
5th November 2011, 01:02 AM
AB, you're a good man, if it was me I would have sold it to my brother for a grand!!!!!! hahahahahahaha joking mate, I would have given it to him roflmao

Richo460
14th May 2012, 11:17 AM

love that movie
"whats ya name" says bay guy, "piss off" says mike, "ok piss-off"
"thats a sweet noise ya got there"
Love it