PDA

View Full Version : Rooftop Tents

Leighw85
23rd October 2011, 10:26 PM
Hi all
i have been looking at some rooftop tents for my trip over east later next year.
i need to get a roof rack to fit this aswell.
i was wanting to get a roofrack where i can store my jerry cans (about 6 of them) aswell as have room for the roof top tent.

Any idea about what rack i need to buy for one of these? i have seen some with Rhino bars, but that will not help me with taking the jerry cans.

anyone have any experience with these tents?
or any ideas?
cheers

the ferret
23rd October 2011, 10:51 PM
Mate, ya should look into a long range tank, carting fuel on the roof is heavy and they often wear a hole in themselves especially off road.
6 jeries is about 170kgs, a lot of weight on the gutter.
Go'n by experience here.
Cheers, the ferret

Leighw85
23rd October 2011, 10:57 PM
never really thought of a long range tank mate.
How many litre long range tank could i fit on a GU?
and any idea where i could look into getting one from?

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2011, 11:11 PM
LRA will do 2 tanks for a GU

A Sub tank upgrade from 35 to 70 lts and a rear tank upgrade from 90 to 145lts. Thats an extra 80lts or 4 jerry cans.

LRA - Long Range Tanks (http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au/)

Or Brown davis for a similar size upgrade but their list is only for the back one

Brown Davis Long Range Tanks (http://www.longrange.com.au/navtankmodels.html#nissan)

And in terms of a Rack to go with your roof top tent, i reckon that is a no brainer mate, I'd have one of these, no question.

Roof Top Tent Rack (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROOF-RACK-SUIT-ROOF-TOP-TENT-NISSAN-PATROL-GU-GQ-/190590147352?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c600edb18#ht_7890wt_1165)

the ferret
23rd October 2011, 11:30 PM
Well strike me pink!! well done MudRunnerTD
I'm head'n off around OZ again soon, me and the missus will be look'n at the ol rooftop>
cheers the ferret.

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2011, 11:40 PM
lol no probs Ferret, they work a treat mate.

Leighw85
23rd October 2011, 11:49 PM
Cheers for that MudRunner.
didnt realise you could get the long range upgrade for the sub tank to.
thats brilliant.
definately the way to go.
And that roof rack is the one i was looking at also.
cheers mate :)

Dark 1
23rd October 2011, 11:52 PM
I totally agree with you guys, we wouldn't go back to a normal tent again, we love our roof topper. Also i have both of the LRA tanks fitted to the Gu & can attest to their quality, sub is a mongrel to fit tho.

Leighw85
23rd October 2011, 11:53 PM
while we are on rooftop tents.
Any ideas which rooftop tent is the easiest to fold up and go?
as when we go away, we will be using the car for cruising around daily, and i have heard there are ones that fold up and thats it pretty much.
A 2 minute job. Some take a while to put away.

Dark 1
24th October 2011, 12:02 AM
I've got a "Hannabil" tent which is pretty heavy canvas & a little fiddly to setup/packup. We have used the "red centa" & "open sky" brands & they are lighter & easier to erect/dismantle.

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 12:16 AM
How do they go in windy conditions?
being so high i thought they might struggle a little. As mostly we will go away down the beach.

the ferret
24th October 2011, 12:42 AM
A bit noisy if ya hav'n a sleep while someones driv'n along the Barklay hwy @ 110 LOL
But they are like all tents, a windy night and they flap a bit, a good woman and a few glasses of red and Bob's yer uncle.
A nice balmy evening in the top end, campfire, bit of barra on the barbie, your favourite music, and ya girl, all good mate, ya won't regret it I promise ya.
just remember ta pull the ladder up before going to sleep, crocs can climb ladders lol.
If ya don't like a bit of flip flap, just fly, motel it and miss out on the wonders of 4 wheel'n Oz.
It won't bother ya, trust me, done it all.
Cheers, the ferret

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 01:17 AM
Hahaha that all sounds so good! Apart from the crocs :P
Nah just thought I'd ask as some of the beaches we go to for weekend get really windy. And we usually set up the cars for wind breaks.
So of my tent was on top of the car it's going to cop the lot.
don't mind the flapping and noises at all, as you said a few drinks will put that to rest. But was just wondering on the strength of these things if it was to get bloody windy :)

the ferret
24th October 2011, 01:30 AM
Put it this way mate, buy good and not cheap Chinese crap, heavy duty with all good zip ups and not just roll downs with a bit of velcro and you won't have a problem.
The car may rock a bit with the wind but it's not gunna blow away and leave ya starkers up on the roof. ha lol.
Anyway you'll probably be the main cause of the rocking, so yeah, buy a good one and it will serve you well.
Cheers, the ferret.

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 01:53 AM
cheers for the advice Ferret :)
i intend on getting a good one. What brand do you have? or what is the best ones to look at?

Any ideas where to look into these long range tanks in Perth?

DX grunt
24th October 2011, 08:14 AM
Hey bro.

I've got an annex set up on my truck and I'm paranoid about the strong winds on the south coast around my camping spots between Albany and Bremer Bay, so, for my guy ropes, I'm using the corner ones for every tie down point. I don't want to get caught with my pants down! lol

I'll find some posts and edit them into this one, so stay tuned.

edit: http://myswag.org/forum/

Take care out there.

Rossco

Edit: Here's my set up
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning037.jpg

twisty
24th October 2011, 09:09 AM
g'day Leigh. We got an Ironman rooftop and annex (http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/rooftop_tent.html) and it sits on a Rhino platform with hoop and rail. Opensky awning. Pics are here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/album.php?albumid=207).

I couldn't justify the extra expence of a Hannibal (over $3k) and prefered the Ironman "verandah" over the entrance to the OpenSky with no "verandah" (http://www.bushranger.com.au/rooftop_tents.php#.TqSUnLJ4DvY).

I chose the Rhino Rack Platform (http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Alloy-Platform-Racks_Page_1_Accessory_Pioneer-Alloy-Platform-Rack_491_68.aspx) with hoop and rail (http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Alloy-Platform-Rail-Options_Page_1_Accessory_Pioneer-Platform-Front-and-Side-Rail-Kit_506_69.aspx) after much research. I considered the "Powerful4x4" rack. It finally came down to convenience for me. Luckily I've found a 4x4 supplier close by that is prepared to look after me :thumbup: They supplied and fitted EVERYTHING. I wasn't happy with the idea of lifting some 50kg steel rack onto Shreq as well as a tent of similar weight.

Hope this helps some ...

edit ... Rossco ... I'm using the solar garden light idea. Consider it stolen. But, what about all the rope ...
:jawdrop: it must get VERY windy ...

the ferret
24th October 2011, 09:52 AM
cheers for the advice Ferret :)
i intend on getting a good one. What brand do you have? or what is the best ones to look at?

Any ideas where to look into these long range tanks in Perth?
I built my own tank, so can't help there.
I copied another tent, using heavy canvas, but you could have it on the roof or on the ground.
Cheers, the ferret.

DX grunt
24th October 2011, 12:31 PM
edit ... Rossco ... I'm using the solar garden light idea. Consider it stolen. But, what about all the rope ...
:jawdrop: it must get VERY windy ...

It does get VERY windy, that's why I'm using heaps. Solar lights are cheap and brilliant - except on overcast days. lol

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 04:01 PM
I think I might end up going with the powerful4x4 rack. But how much weight can be held in one of these tents? By the time you include the rack, tent and people?
If I was to just get the tent for now can you add the awnings and other things later?

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 04:02 PM
Hey DX Grunt at least you know you won't get blown away hahaha that's insane :)

Dark 1
24th October 2011, 05:13 PM
My Hannabil weighs around 67kgs the powerful/red centa/ironman are all a generic badge engineered chinese versions & weigh around 49-55 kgs. We were in a massive windstorm in melbourne a couple of months ago , aprox 130klms/hr winds , no probs except that we were cooking dinner when it hit & dinner ended up in a tree 3 camps over. Was a very interesting experiance.

twisty
24th October 2011, 05:31 PM
I think I might end up going with the powerful4x4 rack. But how much weight can be held in one of these tents? By the time you include the rack, tent and people?

The only weight in the tent is the people and the bedding and that is an unlikely problem while moving. The tent sits on the roof rack so, again, not a weight issue for the tent.

Most car gutters (where the roof racks attach to the car) are rated at 100kg. Stationary loads can, of course, be more. I've heard of demos where about 500kg is loaded on quality racks. That is about four people (Australian) and the tent btw.

If I was to just get the tent for now can you add the awnings and other things later?

Package deals are generally cheaper but I'm sure any supplier would be happy to sell you bits at a time.

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 07:18 PM
so looking at alot of sites about the tents and there are no prices.
Any ideas what sort of price im looking at for the tent and a rack?

flemj
24th October 2011, 08:33 PM
I have been researching this as well, On ebay they start from about $800 up to over $2000. I havent seen any pre made roof top racks under $800.00 A lot of people buy a full size rack then cut the sides down.

John

snicko
24th October 2011, 08:55 PM
In April last year we bought a ARB roof top tent with awning and anex at $1753.00
They also had an ARB demo roof rack at $1000.00
The rack was fitted then the awning and we put the tent on when we need it. (The truck with the tent on doesn't fit in the shed!! - Bugger!!)

We just love it but haven't any strong winds yet so can't comment on that.
We also fitted a rear long range fuel tank. (146L. We didn't fit the sub to keep the weight down.)

Don't have any pics of the awning and anex set up sorry.

WE PUT THE LADDER OUT THE BACK SO WHEN THE WEATHER IS NOT THE BEST
THE TENT OVER THE DOORS IS VERY PROTECTIVE

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/DSC_3744sized.jpg

LONG RANGE FUEL TANK

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/P1010916sized.jpg

INSIDE TENT

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/Second%20lot%20of%20pics%20Googs%20Track%20Jun%202 011/DSC_3682.jpg

SET UP

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/Second%20lot%20of%20pics%20Googs%20Track%20Jun%202 011/DSC_3673sized2-1.jpg

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 09:39 PM
so that ARB tent, does it take up your whole roof rack? Im hoping to have room at the front of the rack to make something for my solar panel.
I love the idea of having it hang of the back instead of the side. Smart idea :)
Love your set up! top stuff.

snicko
24th October 2011, 09:41 PM
so that ARB tent, does it take up your whole roof rack? Im hoping to have room at the front of the rack to make something for my solar panel.
I love the idea of having it hang of the back instead of the side. Smart idea :)
Love your set up! top stuff.

Yes there is room as we have our solar panel there. Will see if I can find a pic.

snicko
24th October 2011, 10:20 PM
Went out into the shed and took some pics.
The mesh on the back is only zip tied on for when we carry wood on the roof rack to stop it falling through the rails. We take it off when the tent is on.
Hope they help.

FROM THE FRONT LOOKING DOWN

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/RIG%20PICS/P1030727sizedx3.jpg

FROM THE FRONT MORE OF A SIDE SHOT

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/RIG%20PICS/P1030726sizedx3.jpg

STANDING ON THE BACK LOOKING FORWARD

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/RIG%20PICS/P1030724sizedx3.jpg

Leighw85
24th October 2011, 10:43 PM
Legend!!!
cheers for the pics. Pretty much exactly what i want to do. But am thinking of building a storage box to sit it on. nothing big. Probably about the same height of the tent when folded away. But that a long way of yet.
Will get bits and pieces over the next 6 months.
The rack will be next for sure. Might go into ARB tomorrow to have a chat.
There are a few rooftop tents on Ebay that are supposed to be the same as the ARB ones, i wonder if they are any good.
I googled them and they are supposed to be from the same factory, could be a load of crap but

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2011, 12:01 AM
Legend!!!
cheers for the pics. Pretty much exactly what i want to do. But am thinking of building a storage box to sit it on. nothing big. Probably about the same height of the tent when folded away. But that a long way of yet.
Will get bits and pieces over the next 6 months.
The rack will be next for sure. Might go into ARB tomorrow to have a chat.
There are a few rooftop tents on Ebay that are supposed to be the same as the ARB ones, i wonder if they are any good.
I googled them and they are supposed to be from the same factory, could be a load of crap but

I have been to Pinnacle Wholesale in Ballarat and now i think they are in Hallam in Melbourne that do the ebay roof top tent. I bought a welder off them a few year ago when they first started bringing in the cheap roof top tents.

The guy tells me that he took an ARB RTT to China to ask the to make it, they basically said "well we already do sir! would you like us to put your label on it?" and that is that. Pinnacle opened the door and it has just gone nuts. They have not got one listed right now which is surprising cause they normally do. But there is a couple of bargains to be had

RRT, Awning, Roof Rack, COMBO BARGAIN!!!!! (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROOF-TOP-TENT-PACKAGE-YEAR-/220868882031?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336ccfae6f#ht_10742wt_1165)

Or this one, not as good as the one above but man i cant believe how cheap this has all got.

Roof Top Tent and Awning Combo deal (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RT02-RIPSTOP-ROOF-TOP-TENT-TRAILER-ROOFTOP-AWNING-ARB-/120796870415?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item1c200df70f#ht_6162wt_1165)

That first one is so cheap i should buy one just because!

Great way to do the Simpson. Better than even an OZ Tent i reckon. I own an Oz tent already though damn it.

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 12:39 AM
Damn! that first one comes with the roof rack aswell.
I wonder if it is any good?
Im a bit worried about weight on top of the car. Im 110kg and the mrs is 70kg will that be ok?

EDIT: just emailed the guy about that first kit. He says it's the same design as arb, but different ladder. Reckons there rack will hold us easy. Sounds to good to be true at that price hmmmmm.

Clunk
25th October 2011, 12:41 AM
blimey MR, looks like a couple of bargains there mate!!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2011, 08:23 AM
blimey MR, looks like a couple of bargains there mate!!!!!!

Crazy Prices there!!! :jawdrop:

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2011, 08:26 AM
Damn! that first one comes with the roof rack aswell.
I wonder if it is any good?
Im a bit worried about weight on top of the car. Im 110kg and the mrs is 70kg will that be ok?

EDIT: just emailed the guy about that first kit. He says it's the same design as arb, but different ladder. Reckons there rack will hold us easy. Sounds to good to be true at that price hmmmmm.

If you find it a bit wobbly up there you might think about putting air bags in the rear springs and just pump them up to 35psi for sleeping and deflate them when driving, This will make a massive difference.

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 10:18 AM
My car came with rear airbags in the springs :) the guy used to tow a caravan a bit!

So you think that roofrack will be good?

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 07:12 PM
Ok so i went into ARB this afternoon as its about 2 minutes away from work.
I could not believe the prices i was given compared to buying online.
Here is the quote

Touring rack was $1180 fitted $1270
Just for the tent with no annexe is $1823 fitted $1848
and for the annexe for the tent is another $195

with those prices i could buy 2 full set ups on ebay.
Why are they priced so much? are they that much better than some of the other brands floating around on ebay for $1000-$1400???

twisty
25th October 2011, 08:00 PM
Ok so i went into ARB this afternoon as its about 2 minutes away from work.
Touring rack was $1180 fitted $1270
Just for the tent with no annexe is $1823 fitted $1848
and for the annexe for the tent is another $195

with those prices i could buy 2 full set ups on ebay.
Why are they priced so much? are they that much better than some of the other brands floating around on ebay for $1000-$1400???

It's all about budget and desire.

Those prices seem about right, although the tent is a bit pricey (and not what I would choose). No, they may not be that much better. But ARB is two minutes from work. They pay rent, insurance and wages. Employing locals who putt money back into the community. If something is wrong with the product or goes wrong later, you have someone to face. If you get on well then you may make friends who add to your 4wd experience.

If you buy online ... well ...

Dark 1
25th October 2011, 09:12 PM

A simple answer YES THEY ARE !!

katwoman
25th October 2011, 09:21 PM
Hey Leigh,
I just picked up my long range sub tank this morning, so will go from 30L to 80L. ( Petrol) Ordered thru a local bloke from brown davis for $920 del.
I found a 90L TJM tank,( $1000) but you can only fit that with a lift.. I decided 80L will do. Will hopefully be fitted soon.

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 09:24 PM
In all honesty mate, im not going to pay an extra $1600 just because they are locals Thats alot of $$$. Although you do have a point about dealing with them face to face.
Im not well of, so i need to stick to a budget :)
I think the price of the tent looking around at others is way to high.
looking at good quality roof racks is about right. But can still get one for about $800. In that ebay pack a roof rack is included in the $1400

Im so undecided its not funny at the moment. I dont have a heap of money, and i want good value for money.

When you say its not what you would get mate, what would you be looking at???

thanks heaps :)

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2011, 09:40 PM
I reckon you cant go past the package deal mate. for $1400 you get the tent, the rack, the awning, the net and enough change to put in a dual battery system of buy a decent fridge. Go make the relationship with the guy from ARB when you buy your fridge or other off road gadgets mate.

You will get warranty support from the Ebay seller, he is in business and wants to feedback. Note also..... It is the same tent as the ARB tent, made in the same factory. If you need a spare part in Far North QLD then go to your local ARB and buy the spare for their tent and it will likely fit!!!

If you were really taking Aussie jobs off the Manufacturing line then fair call but ARB went offshore with these years ago. Feel Free mate.

My 2c

Clunk
25th October 2011, 09:57 PM
In all honesty mate, im not going to pay an extra $1600 just because they are locals Thats alot of $$$. Although you do have a point about dealing with them face to face.
Im not well of, so i need to stick to a budget :)
I think the price of the tent looking around at others is way to high.
looking at good quality roof racks is about right. But can still get one for about $800. In that ebay pack a roof rack is included in the $1400

Im so undecided its not funny at the moment. I dont have a heap of money, and i want good value for money.

thanks heaps :)

keep a good eye out on the 2nd hand market mate, there's some bargains to be had from time to time............. as long as you're not in too much of a hurry that is.

twisty
25th October 2011, 10:08 PM
I dont have a heap of money, and i want good value for money.

Don't we all ...

We got Ironman (http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/rooftop_tent.html). Package deal with annex $1650 fitted.

And MunRunner is right as well. You don't need to get all your gear from the one mob.

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 10:14 PM
Cheers Clunk, im in no hurry so i will keep a good look out :)

MudRunner i am interested in that package thats for sure. i

Im just looking into the roof load of the GU now.When the car is moving i will have about 120kg on there with roof rack,tent and solar panel.
when we set up the tent, there will be aprox 280kg up there........ It has me thinking is that to much???

Clunk
25th October 2011, 10:27 PM
Cheers Clunk, im in no hurry so i will keep a good look out :)

MudRunner i am interested in that package thats for sure. i

Im just looking into the roof load of the GU now.When the car is moving i will have about 120kg on there with roof rack,tent and solar panel.
when we set up the tent, there will be aprox 280kg up there........ It has me thinking is that to much???

I think there's probably heaps of people who are out there who are around your builds and carry the same sort of gear................ tis all about spreading the load.

reason i mention 2nd hand mate, a while ago I picked up full length ally bar for less than $200, ok it's not a steel one but you get the gist........ also picked up a 2nd hand set of OME shocks and springs (almost new) for $400............... I'm always on the look out for stuff because like you, on a very tight budget.

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 10:50 PM
How do you spread the load with a rooftop tent?
Im just very wary now, ive read so many things, and the last thing i need is for the rack and rook to play up lol

a couple of nice buys there mate. I love being on the lookout for a couple of bargains :)

Clunk
25th October 2011, 11:09 PM
How do you spread the load with a rooftop tent?

by laying down in the center like a starfish!!!!!! hahahahahaha

I spend a lot (too much) time late at night scouring the free ads...... gumtree, quokka etc etc.................... oh and have joined a few forums and doesn't hurt to join a club either, there's always someone who knows someone who knows somone else

Leighw85
25th October 2011, 11:34 PM
hahaha ill be one side (110kg) to the mrs on the other side (75kg)
hope thats spread enough.

just hoping that that the roof and rack can hold about 280kg :P

mate i have learnt so much on these forums already its not funny.
Im forever on here reading and looking. Its great

Clunk
25th October 2011, 11:38 PM

well I reckon if you're unsure about the rack and how much of a load it can hold, then maybe the best people to ask would be the likes of ARB or Ironman etc etc.............. they should know what cars their stuff are designed for and I would have thought they should know what payloads the cars are able to withstand when using their products....................... well I would like to think they should anyway. hahahahahaha

It's drives me missus nuts because I spend too much time looking at stuff!!!!! roflmao

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2011, 11:42 PM

You will find the roof load rating is assuming the car is travelling @ 100k/ph with that load. Your adding 180kgs of load while parked and never intend to travel like that. The fact that you basically going to limit the roof load to your RTT, Your Rack and a Solar panel (that is basically irrelevant) i cant imagine your Patrol having a problem with the weight. There are PLENTY of Patrols, Prados, Hiluxes, Pajeros, etc etc,etc that have this setup. Dont worry to much about it mate.

Maybe play your nooky by ear mate, once you start using it if it all feels good let the feeling be good ;) If your not wanting to push the envelope then maybe make a date downstairs hehehehe. But for sleeping they are made to do it. You should have no dramas at all.

Leighw85
26th October 2011, 12:15 AM
thanks fellas i think that is what i needed to hear hahaha just for peace of mind.
I will give a few places a call tomorrow like ARB and see what they say.

What racks do you guys have???

Clunk
26th October 2011, 01:08 AM
Not that I know anything about roof top tents but this one looks interesting.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OASIS-ROOF-TOP-TENT-CAMPER-TRAILER-4WD-ROOFTOP-TENT-/360379908716?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item53e851026c

and then just get one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HEAVY-DUTY-Roof-Cage-FITS-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU-/250914765131?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6baf794b

nowoolies
26th October 2011, 01:27 AM
thanks fellas i think that is what i needed to hear hahaha just for peace of mind.
I will give a few places a call tomorrow like ARB and see what they say.

What racks do you guys have???

g`day Leigh
give the lads a call at Oppisite Lock midland ask for Tim
they have a couple of good ones there
say Paul sent ya hahahahaha you will get charged twice as much hahahahahaha

Leighw85
26th October 2011, 01:44 AM
Oppisite lock hey mate, sounds good might have to check them out, thanks :)

Hey clunk that does look interesting, but not really what I'm after haha see the links on the other pages. That's what I'm after :)

Clunk
26th October 2011, 01:48 AM
Oppisite lock hey mate, sounds good might have to check them out, thanks :)

Hey clunk that does look interesting, but not really what I'm after haha see the links on the other pages. That's what I'm after :)

No worries mate, I was liking the smallness and lightness of it........... nice n easy for overnighters..........

oh and Paul is right about the guys at OL Midland............ should do you a good deal and if you're in need of some new rubber they'll help you out to mate

Dark 1
27th October 2011, 12:16 AM
Im just looking into the roof load of the GU now.

Mate when we did the central australia trip we had the tent, roof bag with all our clothes, solar panel & when we did the oodndatta track we cut up three full size railway sleepers & had them on the roof for almost a week before using them. I'd estimate we had close to 400 kilo's up there while driving [on rough roads too] & 550kg's when we were sleeping up there.
One thing tho she didn't handle the best with all that wait on the roof.

Stumpjumper
7th November 2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Leighw85 I have a great rooftop tent that goes up in about 1 min, I insert a wind handle and something like 30 turns and its up. F/glass top/bottom and I bolted 4 roofracks to it in case the goin gets rough. Been through some wild weather, blowin heaps, rain, hail. Its a Maggolina or something like that. Downside its a bit heavy, first time I put it on I got 4 people tp help. Now I put a 240v hoist in my carport and its a one man job. happy camping. I am tryin to work out how to post a pic???

Stumpjumper
7th November 2011, 11:55 AM
Having a go at posting some pics of my rooftop tent..................

Stumpjumper
7th November 2011, 12:00 PM
Warnings re rooftop tents:-
Getting a bit drunk can be hazarous.
Taking a leak drunk or not.......hazardous
Getting out of half asleep hazarous
Dont leave the wind handle in place or some smart**** will close the lid ....funny for them

nowoolies
7th November 2011, 12:42 PM
Having a go at posting some pics of my rooftop tent..................

see you got it worked out mate,
did you use photobucket like i suggested ?????

top piccies hay

Stumpjumper
7th November 2011, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=nowoolies;160018]see you got it worked out mate,

Havent tried photo bucket yet just been lookin how it works, I got a pm from growlers to try go advance"" then select from browse your computer. I needed to make the pics smaller data but thats no trouble. It did work, I am off to see about photo bucket now. cheers

nowoolies
7th November 2011, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=nowoolies;160018]see you got it worked out mate,

Havent tried photo bucket yet just been lookin how it works, I got a pm from growlers to try go advance"" then select from browse your computer. I needed to make the pics smaller data but thats no trouble. It did work, I am off to see about photo bucket now. cheers

nowoolies mate

DX grunt
7th November 2011, 04:36 PM
Warnings re rooftop tents:-
Getting a bit drunk can be hazarous.
Taking a leak drunk or not.......hazardous
Getting out of half asleep hazarous

X 2 for my ex Telstra truck. First time I fell out, I landed on all fours saying WTF. lol

Did it a second time, but haven't done it since.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning018.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

Stumpjumper
9th November 2011, 05:04 PM
Your doing it in style there Rossco, my lil dog would love to have a nap on your bed, I reckon she could jump up there, she cant get up the ladder to mine.
Truth is I have not yet fell out, saying that could put the mokkers on me........land on my head next time out??
It does look a long way down when you are up there...........it is a long way down.
I take great care
happy camping Marty

Leighw85
11th November 2011, 01:52 AM
Nice set up mate. Looks like home :)

I'm not a fan if those rooftop tents mate. The ones that just prop up. There a big unit, I want a little room up top for a few other things to

Skull
15th November 2011, 07:10 PM
Roof toppers a brilliant. Got two on my trailer on top of a telescopic rack. Good set up. Can fit two kids quads and a tiny under the tents and have it low enough that the tents match the roof line of my truck ( 3 inch lift/ 33's). Works great for over night on long trips. In bed in ten minutes. Takes longer to get the kids to brush their teeth. If you are staying for a couple you can raise the tents upto 2.1m, fold em out, hang the room bellow one of the tents, filck out the foxwing and you are done except for deck chairs and a beer. Tiny and bikes stay underneith. These things are a great way to go I feel. so easy and off the ground (wife is scared of everything) kids love it too. will try for a photo of it set up at boyup brook rodeo.
quick edit.... will see if this works.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/SKULL100982/20062011280.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
16th November 2011, 06:45 PM
Roof toppers a brilliant. Got two on my trailer on top of a telescopic rack. Good set up. Can fit two kids quads and a tiny under the tents and have it low enough that the tents match the roof line of my truck ( 3 inch lift/ 33's). Works great for over night on long trips. In bed in ten minutes. Takes longer to get the kids to brush their teeth. If you are staying for a couple you can raise the tents upto 2.1m, fold em out, hang the room bellow one of the tents, filck out the foxwing and you are done except for deck chairs and a beer. Tiny and bikes stay underneith. These things are a great way to go I feel. so easy and off the ground (wife is scared of everything) kids love it too. will try for a photo of it set up at boyup brook rodeo.

Great setup you have there, more details please.......brand, price.........etc.........

have you got a pic of it closed up?

Skull
17th November 2011, 08:50 PM
Toddrhind
This set up is all my own. Other blokes probably have the same or similar but I made it to suit my needs. Was easy to build. Simple ladder style base for the tents to sit on and "H" frames either end supporting it. I have mine height adjustable so when collapsed it is lower than the roof of my truck and when up is 2.1M to the tent bases (on level ground). The corners of my trailer I had made with box section uprights. This allows me to have to legs slide up and down inside them on gas struts. Just use ratchet straps to hold her down. The trailer I had biult for me as I did not have time before I moved over here and there is still heaps I plan to do ( Tool boxes and kitchens etc). The tents are different brands but exactly the same down to the nuts and bolts. The light coloured one I bought brand new from Flyingfish campers in Inisfail QLD and the other second hand of a mates neighbour. The FFish one was $1500 and comes with a room below the tent which HAS got a FULL PVC FLOOR which allot of others don't ( ARB at nearly twice the money and still exactly the same tent except for the fly). We only use it if we are set up for a week or so or have others with us (mum and dad). It is good for getting changed in otherwise. Most times though we dont bother with it. Will see if I have some better pics for you.

NissanGQ4.2
17th November 2011, 09:38 PM
Toddrhind
This set up is all my own.

If I didn't live so far away from you I would be over in a flash asking how much 2 knock me up one *L* Might have 2 think about one of these for a project

Leighw85
20th November 2011, 09:53 PM
That setup is incredible mate. Top stuff :)

ok so i have found a couple of roof racks for a tent on ebay. They both look exactly the same.
Does anyone have any opinions on them?
Will they do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320797294192&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220891816377&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Clunk
20th November 2011, 11:04 PM
I reckon they would mate, 2nd one looks like its a Tigerz knock off out of the same factory probably

Leighw85
20th November 2011, 11:19 PM
so the Tigerz one is a descent brand.
It looks like they stock them just down the road from where i live at Armadale 4wd.

Clunk
20th November 2011, 11:39 PM
so the Tigerz one is a descent brand.
It looks like they stock them just down the road from where i live at Armadale 4wd.

Ummm thats a question I'm not sure of mate, I have heard of Tigerz but think that was winches,I'm presuming it's the same company................... I'll let someone who knows more about the brand give the answer

Leighw85
20th November 2011, 11:50 PM
well im guessing a good 4wd repairer in Armadale 4wd wouldnt sell them if they were duds :)
I might look into it a little more.
I just cant get over the price of the ARB one the rack itself is about $900 + about $300 for install kit.

i have looked at the Tigers11 website and it all looks ok, they have winches and things also

Skull
21st November 2011, 11:39 PM
Mate I think you will find just like the tents themselves they are all identical. They would be from the same factory for sure. Most of the items now are orderred from china by many differnet company's in the colour of their choice with their own sticker on it. Winch's, tents, racks almost any product out there. I would get the cheaper one, why spend the extra on the same deal. Look at the layout of the mounting bracket photo's. Exactly the same in both company's auctions........

Leighw85
22nd November 2011, 01:11 AM
Yeah mate I've looking I've the 2 all day hahaha I am going with the cheaper one! Will get the job done :)
As you said both are exactly the same, pictures and all!

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 10:06 AM
hey leigh,
just a small thought for ya, what i did is get the full sized rack(cant remember the exact name of model as it was so long ago) instead of having the rails stop short so you can fit a tent on the flat section i have fitted it to the top of the rail so that gives storage under the tent on the rack which is good for chairs,tables, solar panels etc (solar panels-i have not fitted to the car as the sun moves so i have portable ones on a long lead.... works amazing) and the only problem i have with it being over the back is with the drop slide (for 80 liter engel) i have to pull the ladder out on an angle to comfortably pull the fridge out(no biggy, but the only draw back)

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 10:11 AM
Here is what i mean about the solar panels and also the drop slide issue(as i said, not a big deal)

Leighw85
22nd November 2011, 12:46 PM
And it's strong enough sitting on top? I have seen that before but was unsure!

Andy D
22nd November 2011, 12:47 PM
Greetings all,
My name is Andy D from Qld and I am a committed member of QNP4wd Club, today is my 1st occasion to log in to this wonderful site, and I thank Andy B for assisting me with that particular function.
I have been trawling through your site this morning and felt amused, enlightened, uplifted and keen for more. At 64 years of age, I really struggled to place my no longer needed TV set out on the footpath, as I will have no further need of it with this site available.
I digress, the reason I have jumped in here, is that I sport an Oztrail 2.5m x 2.1m side awning on the GQ, and have found any easy way to encompass it with walls, is to use either shade cloth, or the cheapo blue tarps, these are so easy to attach using those spring clips which open easily to encapsulate 25mm tubing, and are available from Crazy Clarks. As you may appreciate, this will deflect a minor shower and is really more a shade and privacy benefit. I have found it to be ideal for an overnighter in the swag. Rain blown in under the top where it is mounted to the roofrack is a nuisance and would need a small tarp to carry over the top of the car to alleviate this problem.
Prior to a VHC trip in April- May at - 6degrees, this year I looked for another option and bought an Ironman Room Cover identical to the photo earlier in this thread. The fully enclosed room slides in under your awning and is attached by pulling a leader rope through the open groove which is on the bottom of the profile of all the awnings on the market. Hadn't noticed?
On the outer side there is a a zipper slide attached to the outer support held up by the upright posts.
When the tent/ room is then fixed to the zip slide then the support clips at each end are clipped to the aluminium spreader tubes. The room is completely flyscreened and has a door and large windows at each ends and with access to your car through the backwall. $400.00 new in Feb.
Regards Andy D.
Sorry so long

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 01:32 PM
Greetings all,
My name is Andy D from Qld and I am a committed member of QNP4wd Club, today is my 1st occasion to log in to this wonderful site, and I thank Andy B for assisting me with that particular function.
I have been trawling through your site this morning and felt amused, enlightened, uplifted and keen for more. At 64 years of age, I really struggled to place my no longer needed TV set out on the footpath, as I will have no further need of it with this site available.
I digress, the reason I have jumped in here, is that I sport an Oztrail 2.5m x 2.1m side awning on the GQ, and have found any easy way to encompass it with walls, is to use either shade cloth, or the cheapo blue tarps, these are so easy to attach using those spring clips which open easily to encapsulate 25mm tubing, and are available from Crazy Clarks. As you may appreciate, this will deflect a minor shower and is really more a shade and privacy benefit. I have found it to be ideal for an overnighter in the swag. Rain blown in under the top where it is mounted to the roofrack is a nuisance and would need a small tarp to carry over the top of the car to alleviate this problem.
Prior to a VHC trip in April- May at - 6degrees, this year I looked for another option and bought an Ironman Room Cover identical to the photo earlier in this thread. The fully enclosed room slides in under your awning and is attached by pulling a leader rope through the open groove which is on the bottom of the profile of all the awnings on the market. Hadn't noticed?
On the outer side there is a a zipper slide attached to the outer support held up by the upright posts.
When the tent/ room is then fixed to the zip slide then the support clips at each end are clipped to the aluminium spreader tubes. The room is completely flyscreened and has a door and large windows at each ends and with access to your car through the backwall. $400.00 new in Feb.
Regards Andy D.
Sorry so long

G'day boss - welcome aboard and feel free to join in and make the most of it mate!!

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 04:49 PM
And it's strong enough sitting on top? I have seen that before but was unsure!

I have had it on for at least 3 years and have had countless nights in it and many many tracks and beach runs and it is still perfect.. Only problem is the extra height with the lift I needed an extra extension on the ladder

Leighw85
22nd November 2011, 09:27 PM
do you think it would be fine to hold about 190kg?
It would definitely be the way to go, because as you said extra storage!

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 09:41 PM
i am about 103 kg,s and my girl is about 60(i huge guess there......she would never tell me) and that is no worries at all!!!! what i have also done is bought a cheap extension ladder ($80) from bunnings, i then pulled the 2 lenghts apart and the narrower one with the hook that sits on the rung of the ladder when extended, i reversed the hook and now i have a perfect ladder that hooks on to the top of the roof rack so i can climb up and down without any problems and it stores perfectly in the roof rack under the tent.

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 09:43 PM
leigh... when i am back in 16 days i am happy to meet up and you can have a look and check it out... i think i am only around the corner from you!!!! my car is fairly well modified for touring so you can have a look at things you might like or not like!!!!

Leighw85
22nd November 2011, 10:11 PM
sounds brilliant mate. Would love to check out the beast you have :)
would be good to get some ideas

rottodiver
22nd November 2011, 10:50 PM
too easy i will be back in a few weeks (well 16 days and counting), will pm you before getting home and arange a time!!!

Leighw85
23rd November 2011, 01:51 AM
While I'm on the roof rack subject anyone know where I can get a ladder done to go from the rack to the car? I think it will be hard getting to the tent without one lol

Skull
23rd November 2011, 02:32 AM
Do you mean a ladder so you can get into your roof cage or into the tent? The tents have there own ladder to suport them when they fold out. I was able to buy the extension when I bought the tent, just slides onto the bottom of the original ladder and clips in. By the way my wife, two kids and I often climb into one of the two tents to watch a movie or whatever. Never looked like falling in mate. 190kg should be easy. Just try to keep most ya weight ( hips up) over the half that is on the roof rack not the half supported by the ladder.

Leighw85
23rd November 2011, 10:16 AM
No worries cheers for the info.

Yeah I meant a ladder to get to the rack itself!

rottodiver
23rd November 2011, 11:03 AM
I made my own as per a couple of posts ago.. the reason i prefer my set up is, all ladders that are connected to the car go either on the barn door or rear side.. considering my tent is at the back i would need to climb over the tent each time and when the tent is open could not use it at all. And mine is only 80 dollars.. not to mention it can be useful for anything else that may require a little extra height!!

twisty
23rd November 2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah I meant a ladder to get to the rack itself!

I bought a step ladder from bunnings ($60) to aid opening the tent. Makes life MUCH easier :clapping: Fits in the back and packs nice and flat.

Leighw85
24th November 2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah I was just thinking of the ones that are there permanently.

But I see your problem about when the tent is open mate. But when it's open will you need to get up the ladder???

DX grunt
24th November 2011, 07:39 AM
Here is what i mean about the solar panels and also the drop slide issue(as i said, not a big deal)

What a fantastic idea for the solar panels. After you slide them out, can you tilt them or do they stay rigid?

I'm impressed to say the least !!! Definately on my 'probably will do' list. Thanks.

Rossco

EDIT: Rottodiver, I can't see your truck in the Member's ride thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Members-Rides

Do you mind starting up your truck's thread? There's a few questions I want to ask, without hyjacking other peoples threads. Thanks.

Rossco

rottodiver
24th November 2011, 07:46 AM
What a fantastic idea for the solar panels. After you slide them out, can you tilt them or do they stay rigid?

I'm impressed to say the least !!! Definately on my 'probably will do' list. Thanks.

Rossco

They have legs so the can be tilted to what ever angle..i get full sun all day
And I will start up a thread tonight when I get back to camp

lamborghinigtr
26th November 2011, 09:52 AM
HEY :)

I have a feather light roof top tent its really quick to set up and you can leave some bedding in there, to save climbing up on the roof we have attached a string to the zipper. you will have to get on the roof unless you have a ladder to close it up. It is a great tent, the only down fall with roof toppers I have found is late night toilet trips and lightening storms.

Oh and its is really light hence the name.

Leighw85
26th November 2011, 05:36 PM
Ok so i picked up an ironman tent today. $900. The bloke has had it but never used it :)

rottodiver
26th November 2011, 06:07 PM
Ok so i picked up an ironman tent today. $900. The bloke has had it but never used it :)

Awesome... Congrats

DX grunt
26th November 2011, 07:04 PM
Awesome... Congrats

X2 Well done.

Leighw85
27th November 2011, 03:11 PM
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/SKULL100982/20062011280.jpg

Hey mate.
How exactly does your framework go? does it all get lowered when driving, so the tents are not sitting up that high when your driving..
Any chance of a few pics of the framework and setup?
thanks mate

Leighw85
1st December 2011, 07:55 PM
OK so im thinking of Rhino racks for my roof top tent.
The more i think about the Rhino racks the more i like the idea. Can get alot of extras later if needed. And just a basket or tray at the front.
Anyone have an opinion on this? ARB say it will be fine to have the tent on 2 rhino bars. Heavy duty ones

rottodiver
1st December 2011, 08:32 PM
OK so im thinking of Rhino racks for my roof top tent.
The more i think about the Rhino racks the more i like the idea. Can get alot of extras later if needed. And just a basket or tray at the front.
Anyone have an opinion on this? ARB say it will be fine to have the tent on 2 rhino bars. Heavy duty ones

i think it is quite common for people to set them up that way.... i have heard of people setting them up with 3 racks across as well to help with the weight transfer, in europe that is how most are fitted considering alot of roof top tents are on small cars and not 4wds.... there is also the fact you will be saving weight by not having a full length rack!!

no matter what, you will be CAMPING

Leighw85
2nd December 2011, 12:51 AM
yeah mate i am undecided if i should go 2 racks or the 3??? i think i will go the 3 for peace of mind hahaha might be a little overkill
they are 20% of at the moment at auto one, so im going to head in there tomorrow.
i think with 20% of i can get 3 racks for about $400 which is bloody good i thought.

Then i can get a couple more racks at the front and a basket if i need to.

Skull
2nd December 2011, 10:17 PM
Leighw85

It all colapses down about 350mm. You can see the cross rail at the front and rear that support my tiny and sturdy the whole thing up. That at driving height would be about 100mm from the top of the trailer. This means the tents are lower than the roof of the truck to reduce drag. Works well. Got a few things left do but for now I use ratchet straps and locking bolts welded in to hold her down. Gas struts to help lift her up. Give us a PM if you wanna have a look. In Baldivis.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/SKULL100982/trailer.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/SKULL100982/trailer1.jpg

Leighw85
2nd December 2011, 11:15 PM
damn mate, didnt realise you were in Perth.
Im thinking about rigging up a 6x4 trailer so for those trips where you need your car everyday i dont have to pack the roof top tent away. I can set mine up on a trailer like yours.
Im not sure i will go all out with the gas struts. At the start anyway hahaha
I was thinking of making the frame and lifting it up for now. with a spring bold when it gets to the right height

Skull
2nd December 2011, 11:42 PM
Not here for long mate. Goin back east for a new job in Sydney. The biggest issue you will find without gas struts is getting it to come up even. This sytem will jam allot as it is inside the box section (am thinking about greasing the whole shit). I have issues when people try to help and they don't understand it has to come out even. The handbrake and I have no troubles though. The gas struts just help to get it out evenly without jaming up, especially considering the tents are off to one side. The spring lock sounds like a good set up. I am a little concerned at how you would go getting it down though without the struts. You will need someone on each corner to hold it up while you undo the spring bolts.. Just a thought mate.

Leighw85
2nd December 2011, 11:47 PM
Ahhh yeah true. Nah it's all ideas for me at the moment won't be starting anything until later next year! Still have to finish the car setup.
What sort of gas struts did you use mate?

Skull
3rd December 2011, 12:12 AM
Eye to eye so you can bolt through them. I beleive they where 700 long extended but you would take your own measurements to optimise the amount of lift. I have mine set to 500N but I need to get them pumped up a bit. 600-700N would be better with the tinny. You can get them made to your spec I:E if you want different ends and pressures they just screw new ends on and change the pressure ( can only INCREASE the pressure though, you go to hard they are fucked). Cant remember what I payed. I remember the anchor thought it was extausion and I thought it was fair ( She's tight as hell.... With money...).

Leighw85
3rd December 2011, 12:21 AM
sweet. I think its definitely something i should be looking into.
A heap easier than lifting the bastard lol.
did you do all the work on the trailer or did you get that made also? im thinking if i got one made. I would get a 4x4 trailer for sure

Skull
3rd December 2011, 12:32 AM
Had the trailer itself made to my specs, Cost $5000. Industrial stregth though. Long draw bar 100x50 with Alco 3T offroad hitch, 2T axle, electric brakes, eye-eye springs with 5/8 U-bolts (spare spring and bolts attatched to draw bar). Super heavy everything with 1600kg capacity. Plus when you design yourself you get the extra's like two gas bottles, two jerry's, captured nuts and ladder rack sections on the corners ( all on when gal dipped). Was gonna build it myself and get it hot dipped but had no time. You would save $1500 doing it yourself. I built the frame for the tents myself in about 16Hrs. Was easy as to do. You can get trailers for a fraction of what I spent but I am the kind of guy who does everything to death. I save for ever to buy only the best. Last thing I need is something cheap getting the kids and I stuck in the nowheres.

Leighw85
3rd December 2011, 12:48 AM
Good attitude to have mate. If your going to do it, do it properly!
Im going to do alot of research over the next 4-6 months before i decide on anything

Oka374
14th December 2011, 01:31 PM
We've had a Shippshape Aussie made rooftop tent for nearly ten years now, has been used extensively for extended outback trips, several for up to three months at a time. Really well made unit and has withstood several huge storms with high wind and rain over the years.
Several reasons for our choice, the biggest being that when it is opened the tonneau acts as a wall or roof and remains dry on the inside, when you close it you are not putting wet canvas onto the tent section. The undercover area is very useful when camped and gives you somewhere to stand and sit in inclement weather as well as always dry access to the sleeping area.

Shaunous
29th December 2011, 12:30 PM
I have been to Pinnacle Wholesale in Ballarat and now i think they are in Hallam in Melbourne that do the ebay roof top tent. I bought a welder off them a few year ago when they first started bringing in the cheap roof top tents.

The guy tells me that he took an ARB RTT to China to ask the to make it, they basically said "well we already do sir! would you like us to put your label on it?" and that is that. Pinnacle opened the door and it has just gone nuts. They have not got one listed right now which is surprising cause they normally do. But there is a couple of bargains to be had

RRT, Awning, Roof Rack, COMBO BARGAIN!!!!! (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROOF-TOP-TENT-PACKAGE-YEAR-/220868882031?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336ccfae6f#ht_10742wt_1165)

Or this one, not as good as the one above but man i cant believe how cheap this has all got.

Roof Top Tent and Awning Combo deal (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RT02-RIPSTOP-ROOF-TOP-TENT-TRAILER-ROOFTOP-AWNING-ARB-/120796870415?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item1c200df70f#ht_6162wt_1165)

That first one is so cheap i should buy one just because!

Great way to do the Simpson. Better than even an OZ Tent i reckon. I own an Oz tent already though damn it.

His got them back up there again for $1350 including everything, RTT, Annexe, Awning, Cage Rack plus some 4x4 DVD. I don't think i cannot buy it, got quotes from TJM yesterday and they were more then double this with a caged rack, only difference was they were 800mm longer.

Again the only pain in the arse I can see is having to take it down if you wanted to go somewhere, but I spose if you carried a couple of pushbikes you could ride most places and leave the car set up.

Leighw85
31st December 2011, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking or rigging up a trailer if I intend to camp for a while. Not as flash as the one above but similar. can leave the camp there and take of in the car, ideal really. Finding the right trailer Is proving harder than I thought. just need to find a trailer and make a frame big enough to connect up the annex aswell. Modify the trailer and all should be sweet :)

Happy new year all, and hope everyone had a fantastic Chrissy :)