PDA

View Full Version : What To Do When Your Starter..

Ade
23rd October 2011, 05:22 AM
..keep on cracking the engine after your engine has started and even after you have turned the key off?

This thing happen to me today and never before. So I was panicking, popped the hood up and tried to disconnect the negative battery terminal (butterfly nut type). But it was too tight, I can't undo it with bare hands. Too late and smoked the stater out!

Mine is auto trans, so no chances to push start the 3 tonner troll. Lucky me, it was by the road side..not in the bush (rainforest to be exact here)..low loader the troll home.

On a sail home with the low loader I was wondering..why in the world I tried to disconnect the battery instead of the fusible link for the stater?! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay much easier...isn't?

Just my 3 tonner worth..

:cheers:

patch697
23rd October 2011, 10:11 AM
..keep on cracking the engine after your engine has started and even after you have turned the key off?

This thing happen to me today and never before. So I was panicking, popped the hood up and tried to disconnect the negative battery terminal (butterfly nut type). But it was too tight, I can't undo it with bare hands. Too late and smoked the stater out!

Mine is auto trans, so no chances to push start the 3 tonner troll. Lucky me, it was by the road side..not in the bush (rainforest to be exact here)..low loader the troll home.

On a sail home with the low loader I was wondering..why in the world I tried to disconnect the battery instead of the fusible link for the stater?! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay much easier...isn't?

Just my 3 tonner worth..

:cheers:

Mate thats real bad luck & not a common fault either.

I think you did or attempted to do the right thing in the first place by going for the battery as you couldn't know at that point whats coursed the problem.

Th fusible link only effects the power to the starter motor solenoid & if its this that has jammed itself in the engaged position for argument sake then removing the fusible link will not cut the power to the starter motor itself therefore not stop it from turning over.

Its a shame you couldn't get the batt terminal undone mate but you headed in the right direction IMO.

Best of luck with sorting it out.

the ferret
23rd October 2011, 11:10 AM
Often when this happens, a few sharp taps with a spanner will cause the solenoid to release.
Cheers, the ferret.

T0nka
23rd October 2011, 07:58 PM
what ferret said

albi
28th October 2011, 10:41 PM
wat tonka said