PDA

View Full Version : UHF radio

BIG RAY
23rd August 2010, 09:54 AM
I need to buy a new UHF. Has anybody got good/bad stories about brands etc. Any recommendations/ suggestions would be great, built in scanner would be great. Don't need top of range only mid price range. My son has a Uniden 40 channel in his Patrol and seems quite happy with it but would appreciate all your feedback.

patch697
23rd August 2010, 10:03 AM
I also have a Uniden in mine & quite like it but the GME is the one that most ppl sort after.

Maxhead
23rd August 2010, 12:30 PM
Yep, I've got a GME TX3420 remote head unit and have been more than happy with it.
I think you can't go wrong with GME and ICOM.

Also if you are looking around make sure the unit has 12.5khz channel spacing as the new 80 channel system is coming in the near future.

http://www.uhfcb.com.au/UHF-CB-Changes.php

NissanGQ4.2
23rd August 2010, 07:30 PM
Ive had for many years the GME TX3400 remote head unit (now superseded with the TX3420 ) this unit has never let me down :) Only downside it had, was only 10 extra programmable channels, and until very recently if i wanted to change the frequency on those extra channels, I had to take it to my local GME dealer :(

RustyNails
23rd August 2010, 10:24 PM
I have a GME (old one so not remote head) and it is great now I have the antenna sorted.
ICOM are great with a tonne of features but is probably more than the average hack needs.

Paul

Finly Owner
23rd August 2010, 10:49 PM
Uniden, GME, and Phillips are all very reliable. Type of unit depends on specific user needs. Remote heads are very handy for easy use while driving. Make sure the unit is at least mid range price as it should put up with offroad bumps etc. Cheaper end of range are light duty chasis & body. Ask your dealer for one with built in scanner.

One piece of advice I will give you speak tpo someone who knows CBs & UHFs when shopping for one, not just a floor salesman who reads the box.

Dick smith used to be a good place to buy them and you could trust it's own brand once. But I wouldn't go near the store to buy one now. AUTOBARN seem to have staff who know certain areas in the store and sort of train in what they are selling in that area. So I will go there for info.

If you know what you want EBAY does have some good deals on sets @ times. It does help to know RRP when looking though.

All sets need a good aerial. So decide what you need with that too. I personally find the stainless aerial 3 stage(9db from memory) works well. Bends under trees etc and get good transceive and receive.

I am not up to speed with particular models, as my Uniden works very well & I am happy with it.

Best of luck with your purchase Ray

Maxcom
26th August 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Big Ray

Most UHF are much of a muchness. The important thing is to have a good (read Excellent) antenna system. The higher the gain, the better the antenna and the better the overall performance. Also use high grade antenna cable especially if you have along run.

Finly Owner
27th August 2010, 10:20 PM
Ray
Maxcom is correct with the aerials and gain. But take from a person who can tune "cans" in "radios", solder joints and other fittings can differ signifigantly in some brands and models of radios. Go for a sturdy looking, reliable brand. Pearce-simpson are mostly crap CB's but very rarely they made a worthwile model that was sought after.

Umm yes I did a lot of playing and learning about citizen band radios inc. AM/SSB/UHF years ago.
I was interested in them and got sick of so called technicians stuffing up the frequency on my sets. So I did some reading and hands on learning. Got involved with some respected old timers(ex lic holders) and listened to their recommendations.

So I can only offer what I do know and damn know, I have room to expand my knowledge in this area still, especially when it comes to what's available today. So Maxcom maybe on the ball with it's much of a muchness these days.

lambo
3rd September 2010, 10:43 AM
I also have a GME (without the remote head) and it is great. A mate has a newer GME (with remote head) and its not quite so user freindly.

Maxhead
3rd September 2010, 07:35 PM
I would have to agree with Plasnart
Here's similar pics you were talking about:

Maxhead
3rd September 2010, 07:55 PM
That's why lot of people carry a couple aerials on trips and swap in different terrains

Finly Owner
3rd September 2010, 09:31 PM
Hey Plassy & NP. Thanx I haven't seen that stuff b4. All I had heard was the more db the further you get. Never heard the rest of the story. Explains why a lot of people go 6db, getting the happy medium. I also understood rule of land of sight/signal unlike am bounce over objects/landscape.

Foreverdiesel
2nd October 2010, 09:56 PM
I have an old GME UHF (non remote head). I carry a couple of antenna's also, the 9db is on the bar all the time. The 3db is kept in the glove box. I must admitt I have never had the need to use the 3db antenna. For remote area comms I also have a Codan HF radio.

Cheers,
Rob.

cyanobacteria
9th November 2010, 05:44 PM
x 2 for Uniden.

DX grunt
9th November 2010, 11:02 PM
Hey Big Ray

Don't forget that the new 80 channel CB's are supposed to be coming out shortly. You might want to either wait, or buy a 2ND hand one and get a newbie when they roll out. Not sure how much they'll be price wise.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Wotan81
17th November 2010, 01:50 AM
Does anybody still use CB radio these days or am I just showing my age?

Wotan81
17th November 2010, 01:52 AM
And how much range do they have, compared with HF radios if I'm outback somewhere? Ie, should I go for the 'Convoy' glamour or take something which'll actually save my ass?

Bellos
25th November 2010, 09:09 PM
In terms of where to buy your new UHF, from someone who works in a store that sells UHFs, if you want to pay the best price go to http://www.prestigecom.net.au/ . Those guys sell on our cost every single time, to the dollar.

But only buy from them if you already know what you want, please don't do what everyone does to me and fish out information then buy it where they can find it the cheapest!

Leighw85
21st November 2011, 07:50 PM
Im going to hijack this old thread.
I have a GME TX3200 that came in the car when i got it.
it has the spring mount and everything on the bullbar, but has no whip on it.
So im wondering what sort of whip should i be getting? pretty much want a good all round aerial, spending most of the time on the beach.
Also doing a trip across Australia next year.

Clunk
21st November 2011, 08:42 PM
Im going to hijack this old thread.
I have a GME TX3200 that came in the car when i got it.
it has the spring mount and everything on the bullbar, but has no whip on it.
So im wondering what sort of whip should i be getting? pretty much want a good all round aerial, spending most of the time on the beach.
Also doing a trip across Australia next year.

I've got a benelec on mine came with interchangeable whips, 1 long 6db and a short 3db (i think), was around $100.

04OFF
21st November 2011, 09:04 PM
I've got a benelec on mine came with interchangeable whips, 1 long 6db and a short 3db (i think), was around $100.

Ive got exactly the same set, ive been very impressed, i was at Calamvale maccas talking to Big rig on my UHF (NON repeater ch), i thought he was also in the same carpark, but he was about 65ks away (line of sight) at scenic rim.

Both high locations, but i only had the 3db antenna on (only 6 inch long), so i don't bother with the long one much now.