PDA

View Full Version : Steering vibration after 2inch lift

popup
23rd October 2011, 12:09 AM
Hi all i just installed a 2 inch lift & a tough dog steering damper in my gq wagon on Friday night.
Went for a drive today & got the shock of my life. I was doing 115 kms on the hwy when i drove through a rut in the road, made from trucks when the hole front of the gq started to shake \, as i slowed down then the steering wheel shook to the shit house so i slowed to a stop got out checked that nothing Had come loose. It all seamed OK. So i drove on then when i hit some potholes it did it again. Could this be that i need to change the caster angles?

patch697
23rd October 2011, 02:56 AM
Hi all i just installed a 2 inch lift & a tough dog steering damper in my gq wagon on Friday night.
Went for a drive today & got the shock of my life. I was doing 115 kms on the hwy when i drove through a rut in the road, made from trucks when the hole front of the gq started to shake \, as i slowed down then the steering wheel shook to the shit house so i slowed to a stop got out checked that nothing Had come loose. It all seamed OK. So i drove on then when i hit some potholes it did it again. Could this be that i need to change the caster angles?

It might be time to check your pan hard rod bushes mate, I've not known of a 2" lift requiring castor correction.

It may also pay to swap our old damper back in & see if it still dose it as well. Not that its likely to be the cause but its easy enough to do just to eliminate it out of the equation.

popup
23rd October 2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks mate i have changed the steering damper back & also changed the shocks back. It still did it. Will change the pan hard bar bushes and see if that fix it. Cheers Russell

patch697
23rd October 2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks mate i have changed the steering damper back & also changed the shocks back. It still did it. Will change the pan hard bar bushes and see if that fix it. Cheers Russell

Go genuine with the pan hard rod bushes too mate, the after market ones don't seem to last to well.

Try this bloke & tell him your from the forum.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?915-Nizzbits-(vic)

popup
30th October 2011, 05:30 PM
Well got it worked out it was the pan hard bushes. All good now. thanks for your help.

Woof
30th October 2011, 07:36 PM
Great news there mate..

T0nka
30th October 2011, 08:17 PM
ahh the gold ol wobblies :)

patch697
30th October 2011, 09:12 PM
Well got it worked out it was the pan hard bushes. All good now. thanks for your help.

Great news mate & thanks for the feedback, im glad we were able to help.

rottodiver
11th November 2011, 09:03 PM
That sort of info would have cost 200 dollars at a shop!!! Great forum!!

Dozer
15th November 2011, 06:55 PM
have the same prob with my rig at the moment, scares the crap outa ya when it happens, funny thing is the bolt had actually become so loose ya could tighten it with ya fingers.

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 10:31 PM
think I'll check in to that also..I don't get wobbling, but it shackes a little...what about the aftermarket poly??

Dozer
16th November 2011, 11:15 PM
just thought i would let you know got my panhard bushes changed and a ballance done this arvo and the rig is like driving a new truck. Bushes are about $30.00 each X2 direct from nissan, wouldnt go the poly gear man, genuine is much better from what i have found when it comes to suspension kit.

Def worth a go bud.

Dan

Toha
23rd May 2012, 07:39 AM
haha thats right rottodiver,, but in some cases even if u spend lots money though u wont get that mate .. you know what i mean :)
\
That sort of info would have cost 200 dollars at a shop!!! Great forum!!

Robo
20th October 2012, 10:39 AM
Best Idea to know how much caster correction you need is.
Get a wheel alignment, and ask up front for a complete printed report.
Or at least they write it down for you.
including caster info is on alignment report.
Then compare this info with genuine specifications for your vehicle.

The norm/average is, 1 deg correction per 1 inch of lift.
My Wife's GQ Maverick actually needed 3 deg for 2 inch lift.
must of been in the chassie or diff or both.

Not every vehicle plays by the rules,
(1 deg correction per 1 inch of lift) when it comes to alignment.
An Alignment report goes a long way.
Cheers