PDA

View Full Version : strange noise front hub/axle?

j man 69
22nd October 2011, 10:00 PM
G'day fellas , I have a noise coming from the front of my 98 GU. patrol. could it be an auto hub not engaging? It's an intermittent metallic sound normally on accelerating in second or third gear. But yesterday i heard it on the highway at about 80k's on an incline. any ideas please?

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2011, 10:06 PM
More like a Wheel bearing i reckon,

If it was a Hub or CV you would need to be in 4WD and likely turning to make the noise.

teleman
24th October 2011, 05:15 PM
Nissan told me that my bearings needed replacing last service (180,000 on all four wheels)
There was a noticeable difference in the car after. Mine wernt making noises but i recon Mud runner is right.

j man 69
27th October 2011, 08:31 PM
Ok fellas, thanks for the advice. I will check out the bearings.

Jamie
31st January 2012, 12:21 AM
I went to the high country and did a lot of water crossings including getting horribly stuck in mud. When I got out and proceeded up the next hill climb I noted a clicking noise coming from the front wheels increasing with speed. At the top of the hill I went back to 2 wheel drive and after a couple of k's the noise disappeared. Not sure what it was and what caused it but it hasn't returned since. I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced similar?
Next service I'm going to check the bearing although they don't seem to be making any noise and the noise I heard didn't sound like bearings anyway?

MudRunnerTD
31st January 2012, 06:35 PM
I went to the high country and did a lot of water crossings including getting horribly stuck in mud. When I got out and proceeded up the next hill climb I noted a clicking noise coming from the front wheels increasing with speed. At the top of the hill I went back to 2 wheel drive and after a couple of k's the noise disappeared. Not sure what it was and what caused it but it hasn't returned since. I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced similar?
Next service I'm going to check the bearing although they don't seem to be making any noise and the noise I heard didn't sound like bearings anyway?

Hey Jamie

Almost certainly 100% a stone in your front disk guard. will drive you nuts for a little while then dislodge and disappear. Sounds like your down to metal on metal. This is fairly common if you have spent some time in good mud or a bog hole. No big deal and No longer a problem for you ;)

Cheers MR

Jamie
1st February 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks MR, a relieve to know that's all it probably was. I check the brake pads out next time I've got the wheels up. I met a bloke on the weekend who tells me that Bendix make a specific 4 wheel drive pad so when they need changing I swap over to these.

Cheers.