PDA

View Full Version : New Cooper ST Maxx AT

Pete's GU3
22nd October 2011, 08:51 PM
Well G'day all , after much research and reading reviews on various forums re tyres , and considering that i will use my patrol largely on the black top with the occasional weekend getaway, i decided not to go for a mud tyre .
So i narrowed it down to Mickey Thomsons ATZ 4 rib i thought these would be good for what i need and they looked the goods re tread pattern and off road capabilities , so i went into Widetread tyre shop here in melb to get a good price on these and got talking to the dealer and ended up getting the cooper st maxx new tread pattern and more agressive AT . i liked the look of them and the new techno thats gone into them so i said give me a deal for 5 x 285/75/16 straight on the GU, no lift ....

got them $355 each , he says normally retail for $390. told him a was a member of the NP club.com.au and he looked after me ..
gotta say so far so good on the road, looks smick, very little road noise , have not yet been off road but want to catch up in the next melb outing with the group if poss.
I will try and post up some picks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Clunk
22nd October 2011, 09:04 PM
they look very tidy indeed mate, nice one

ben101
10th January 2012, 10:34 AM
Mate, you sure you got 285/75/R16's? They kinda look more like 265/75R16s from the side shots.

Pete's GU3
21st January 2012, 08:41 AM
Hey boys the shot of the 265 is the old duellers i had on before...the new st maxx are definetly 285/75/16 ...and i am still very pleased with , give em a go they are a great all round

bastardo
21st January 2012, 04:53 PM
did you need a rear tire spacer to fit the spare ? just got a set in 285/70/17 and can't fit.. gotta find a spacer now

Clunk
21st January 2012, 04:57 PM
did you need a rear tire spacer to fit the spare ? just got a set in 285/70/17 and can't fit.. gotta find a spacer now

you'll definitely need the spacer mate, some of us have the ones to fit rear work lights as well................... take a look at XLR8's and Ferrets in the vendors section mate, both top quality stuff

Pete's GU3
25th January 2012, 02:50 PM
yeah , i just made up some spacers using 20 x 20 mm tubular steel , made up 2 lengths to go top and bottom, drilled some holes in them ,got some longer bolts and put on the tyre carrier to that

ben101
16th February 2012, 01:47 PM
So thanks to this thread I went and got me a set of these bad boys for the GUIV. Ended up with 285/70r17 (I already have a 2" tjm lift) and they look great! Strangely enough, the rear went on fine without a spacer tho it is definitely firmly pressed against the edges of the tire cutout on the back door I dont think its doing any damage as the edge of the tyre seems to cut away at the exact same point.

Thanks for sharing and helping me decide on which tyre to go for. For me it was this or the KM2 so I came from the Mud Terrain end of the decision process and have no regrets. The voids on the outer lugs on these things are huge and i have no doubt they will shed mud much faster than the usual all terrain tyres but at the same time they are silent on the roads and ok in the wet from what I can tell so far. Almost as if they are the holy grail of tyre construction but I haven't had a chance to really hammer them offroad yet so will let you know how it goes.

davejones
22nd February 2012, 11:49 PM
It won't take much vibration, & a little trapped dust, for that tyre to rub your duco to the steel. I'd rethink the spacers if I were you. it's not hard to do.

Dave

davejones
23rd February 2012, 12:02 AM
Incidently I've just ordered the 265/75 16's in the ST Maxx. I'll be interested to see how they go. I've had 5 sets of ST's now and been really happy with them.

I stick to the standard diameter instead of the 285's as the difference in diameter is negligible from a clearance point of view - approx 1/2 inch, but I can't afford the reduction in fuel range. I'm about to try to mod the fuel pick up to eek out another 4-5 litres from the sub tank. The 3.5% difference would pretty much take me back to where I am now.

Doesn't sound like much but on the next trip I'm doing 1000km between fuel stops and 40km might make the difference between getting back to the roadhouse on the Nullabor or not.

I'm guessing it's not an issue for you but thought I'd mention it in case it is for someone else who's contemplating a change.

Be interesting to see what the new tyres are like anyhow.

DJ

matus368
28th February 2012, 07:59 AM
Does anybody know if is this tyre good for a snow drive and how reliable is it in snow covered roads? i am looking for really good all season tyre

PattyWgnOwen
3rd March 2012, 02:52 PM
if you look at the usa cooper tires site they have a specific tyre for snow?
not sure what the differences is but looks like wider radial grooves?

bastardo
5th March 2012, 03:15 PM
Ive had mine for a couple weeks now. Im absolutely loving them. I went for the 285/70/17. Paid what I think is a bit much. Got 5 for 2k and thats after giving my old tires to them. they were Duelers with 90% tread. Price was gonna be 440 each i think. I had to get spacer from arb. thought that was great price for 60. made well but not pre drilled for light bars. easy enough though.

took the patrol to the ormeau tracks the other day in QLD and she was definitely expressing me. was with 2 discos and 2 cruisers . I was the only one with the coopers and i think they were great compared to the others on the rock walls and boulders. mud clearing was no issue at all.

and on a side note i was cutoff on the third day i had them and in the wet and basically had to swerve hard right at 100k and they gripped like holding a loaf of bread. very impressed