PDA

View Full Version : sun roof

pirate
22nd October 2011, 06:06 PM
Just wondering how difficult it would be to install a sunroof into a car, i realise it would be slightly different for each different model, but is it doable or just a pain in the A@#.?
And i guess for any mods u have to take the vehicle over the pits again too
Cheers

english lad
23rd October 2011, 02:03 PM
Of course it's doable. I put two in my MB Sprinter. Got them from the scrap yard. Found the ones out of a Disco fitted perfectly. Added Bonus: Disco got two of them, so I didn't need to look around to find two matching ones.
What you got to take care of is that you find one that has got the same curvature as the roof on your wagon. Otherwise it won't seal.(or look horrible)
Secondly you need to have a look at your roof and see where the reinforcement bars are. You need to find a flat piece of roof skin without braces to get a perfect job.
So you need to take down the roof lining and have a measure how big the sun roof can be at the max. Stay away about a inch from any seems and braces.(at least)
When you've found the right sun roof lay it on the roof and check that curvature. It's got to be be spot on.
Measure out where you want the sun roof and tape up the area where you gonna cut with masking tape. Take a marker pen and draw the outline of the sun roof frame on it. Now measure how much overlap you've got on the sunroof frame.(the flat lip which sits on the skin)
Hold a ruler or something with the precise measurement against the line you drew and draw now another line inside the existing one which is going to be the one you gonna cut.
Drill a 10mm hole into the skin you want to remove and insert an air nibbler or a jigsaw (with very fine toothed blade) into the hole and slowly cut along the inner line.
The masking tape will prevent scratching the paint work.(Don't use any sort of shears, that will buckle and distort the roof skin!)
Check if the sun roof frame fits. You should have a little space all around. (2-3mm) otherwise you run the danger that the roof will distort when it jams while you tighten the screws.
Clean the cut with a file, remove the masking tape and all residue and prime. You don't want no rust to start.
The rest is very simple.
Get some commercial vehicle grade bonding sealant (like Silkaflex) They use this stuff nowadays to fit body panels instead of welding.
This is gonna seal in the same time.
Before you apply the glue make sure you've wiped the area with some thinners to get rid of any grease.
Run a nice bead al round (enough for it to squeeze out once you fitted the sun roof)
Don't be skimpish, you gotta through the stuff away anyway afterwards. It will go off within a week or so.
Press home the sun roof frame, make sure it's straight and fit the counterpart from inside.
Screw it down evenly, bit at a time till all screws are tight.
Moisten your finger with some thinners and run it along the inside of the roof to smooth off the excess. No need to remove
Take a bit of cardboard and remove the excess glue from the roof. Finish off with rag and thinners till you have removed all excess.
Now you can install the roof lining and cut it slowly to size and fit the trim which will hide the edge of the roof lining.(make sure you don't cut to much off)
Insert the glass and check for fit. You have usually got a bit of adjustment on the hinge screws.
Finished, as easy as that!