PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Snatch Strap - Need Help with Ebay Seller

MudRunnerTD
22nd October 2011, 05:37 PM
Gday guys,

I saw this on ebay a few days ago and contacted the seller asking him to take it off and had no response. Basically he is selling an ARB snatch strap that is FARKED!! Completely and absolutely. It has served him well and he should retire it.

I have asked him to be an honest seller and take it down as it is worthless and a safety hazard and will be brought by a new, uneducated 4wdriver that may find it breaks and kills someone.

I really need to everyone with an ebay account to send this guy a message today and see if we can get it taken down before it sells.

Disgraceful.

Here is the link, 22 hours to go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200664741630&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123#ht_500wt_1248

I sent this message a few days ago with no response at all,

Dear lsbr119,

Hi Mate, Please note that your snatch strap is no longer serviceable. you obviously know that because you have replaced it. This item should NOT be listed for an unknowing newbie to offroading to buy. Your snatch strap should be thrown out and thanked for its service and you should be happy with that. Not sure if you want to be the guy that sells a worn out snatch strap with a bow shackle to some poor bloke that does not know any better and he tries to use it on Fraser Island in the sand on a hard recovery and that shackle ends up going through the back window of a car and kills a kid. do you want that liability? Snatch Straps Break. Yours is Rooted. It should be Retired not sold to some unsuspecting. I beg you to remove from sale. there is really no dollars in it, lets face it. Your strap has done its job and it is no longer suitable for vehicle recovery. do the watchers and potential buyers a good service. Thanks in advance

I'd really appreciate your help fellas, i will be watching and will send the buyer a message once they leave feedback if they do.

Feel free to cut and paste my message to him if you need too, but speak up PLEASE

Cheers for your help

Darren

patch697
22nd October 2011, 05:58 PM
Done mate....

snicko
22nd October 2011, 06:42 PM
How do you send a message to this w@nker???

the ferret
22nd October 2011, 06:56 PM
Only if you are an Ebay member Snicko, go to " ask seller a question"
Cheers, the ferret.

Mark S
22nd October 2011, 07:07 PM
Done mate......

Yendor
22nd October 2011, 07:14 PM
It makes you wonder about some people.

snicko
22nd October 2011, 07:36 PM
Only if you are an Ebay member Snicko, go to " ask seller a question"
Cheers, the ferret.

Thanks....Done!!

Woof
22nd October 2011, 07:36 PM
Done, what a w@nker

HippoNZ
22nd October 2011, 09:33 PM
Mate I had a strap snap on me today so I definitely feel your frustrations, all the best with this. Sorry I don't have an ebay account.

Clunk
23rd October 2011, 02:08 AM
all done mate!!!!!!!............ let's hope they listed hey

hekarewe
23rd October 2011, 09:31 AM
done have reported it to ebay as unsafe hazardous and dangeris

Maxhead
23rd October 2011, 10:21 AM
Just sent him/her a very polite message :)

Yendor
23rd October 2011, 11:06 AM
Has anyone got a reply back from him?

Maxhead
23rd October 2011, 12:48 PM
Has anyone got a reply back from him?

Nope, I would expect one either...

Yendor
23rd October 2011, 12:51 PM
Nope, I would expect one either...

That's disappointing, I see its still listed.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2011, 12:58 PM
Forget sending the seller a polite message, done the same as hekarewe and reported it 2 Ebay as a dangerous listing.

They should be responsable as a company and not sell second hand recovery equipment like that. That is an accident waiting 2 happen

Yendor
23rd October 2011, 01:07 PM
Forget sending the seller a polite message, done the same as hekarewe and reported it 2 Ebay as a dangerous listing.

They should be responsable as a company and not sell second hand recovery equipment like that. That is an accident waiting 2 happen

I looked into that, but it came up with this message,

"The item in the listing is identified as a possible danger to health, safety, or property while being transported."

So i didn't think ebay would care, because it is not dangerous during shipping.

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2011, 01:15 PM
yeah i did the report to ebay thing too but the sytem is pretty basic. If you cant tick the box they deem dangerous then it gets a little vague. I did report it as a hazardous item though non the less. That was days ago??

Thanks to all that have posted so far, appreciate it. the sell er remains silent and obviously does not give a crap. Please keep sending him messages though and report it to ebay too if you can.

Cheers guys.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2011, 01:18 PM
I looked into that, but it came up with this message,

"The item in the listing is identified as a possible danger to health, safety, or property while being transported."

So i didn't think ebay would care, because it is not dangerous during shipping.

I put it under

Report Category: Listing practices
Reason for report: Other listing practices
Detailed reason: Null

Then it gives the the option 2 write a message, so I just said it was unsafe 2 sell second hand snatch straps as it could be a death waiting 2 happen

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2011, 01:20 PM
and ebay probable don't give a cr!p but hey u can only try and get it removed

Yendor
23rd October 2011, 01:25 PM
I put it under

Then it gives the the option 2 write a message, so I just said it was unsafe 2 sell second hand snatch straps as it could be a death waiting 2 happen

OK, thanks for that.

I did submit the complaint under hazardous materials.

I will do another one.

Cheers Rodney

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2011, 01:26 PM
I put it under

huh i'll go have a look at Null!

Perfect will be done.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2011, 01:34 PM
huh i'll go have a look at Null!

Perfect will be done.

yeh huh is what i thought 2 myself, wtf is Null, but it comes up with a place to write a message so thought that's good enough for me :)

beansathome
23rd October 2011, 02:15 PM
i did the same reported the page. if enough people do it the will listen

Clunk
23rd October 2011, 03:08 PM
also submitted to ebay, but with under 1hr and 20 minutes to go, not sure if anything will happen..................... is there anyway the bidders can be contacted ??????

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2011, 03:15 PM
also submitted to ebay, but with under 1hr and 20 minutes to go, not sure if anything will happen..................... is there anyway the bidders can be contacted ??????

u can send them a message, use the ask a question link on the right hand side under seller info, but i don't think they care

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2011, 03:22 PM
u can send them a message, use the ask a question link on the right hand side under seller info, but i don't think they care

I think Clunk was chasing the Bidders and not the seller. Send the seller a message but as Todd says i dont think they care. Dogs.

I will lookout for feedback that will identify the buyer and post a warning to them, that is the best that can be done short of buying the bloody thing myself and risking my feedback score.

snicko
23rd October 2011, 03:35 PM
I think Clunk was chasing the Bidders and not the seller. Send the seller a message but as Todd says i dont think they care. Dogs.

I will lookout for feedback that will identify the buyer and post a warning to them, that is the best that can be done short of buying the bloody thing myself and risking my feedback score.

I also sent through a report.

Maybe the best thing to do is like you said and send the buyer a message and let him give the seller bad feedback. ( That will fix his 100% )

NissanGQ4.2
23rd October 2011, 03:36 PM

I was actually thinking the same thing Darren, bidding on it myself then not paying for it, but yeh would be risking feedback score..... and then the seller would just re-list it anyway

beansathome
23rd October 2011, 05:05 PM
Here's a pic of his truck. Pity the plate is just out of picture.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/10/29.jpg

had 2 be a toyota driver to not care about safty like that

Mazodude
24th October 2011, 04:27 PM
Here's a pic of his truck. Pity the plate is just out of picture.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/10/29.jpg
Well from the colour of the plate, it is a QLD plate

Finly Owner
26th October 2011, 11:29 PM
Well item sold and you cant see who won, Goes to show he dont care nor does ebay!

Tim

Grizzly
28th October 2011, 03:54 PM
What an idiot. Real shame you cant contact the buyer and warn them about the dangers of using this.

YNOT
28th October 2011, 04:07 PM
Maybe one of us should have bought it just to get rid of it safely.

Tony

Maxhead
28th October 2011, 04:39 PM
Maybe one of us should have bought it just to get rid of it safely.

Tony

Yeah Tony, that is exactly what I was going to do but missed out as I wasn't here to bid. I thought about putting a bid early but I thought I might get out bid and some poor bastard will be stuck with an expensive useless strap.
I can not believe eBay didn't do anything about it...typical

frenzy
28th October 2011, 08:22 PM
The buyers info is there. Look under the feedback left as a seller tab.

MudRunnerTD
28th October 2011, 08:24 PM
i have been waiting for the feedback to appear, i check an hour ago and they had not left feedback yet.

MudRunnerTD
28th October 2011, 08:41 PM
Here is the link to the buyer, i have just messaged them

The Buyer or the dodgy strap (http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sirlezzz&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true)

Here is what i just sent them

Dear sirlezzz,

G'day mate, My name is Darren and i contact you as a Very Concerned 4WD Trainer. The ARB Snatch Strap that you have purchased recently is beyond its service life. IT IS A DEATH TRAP. It will kill someone. It will Break if used. I begged the seller to remove from auction and got silence. I posted the item on a forum and many members also messaged him to remove it, He did nothing and remained silent. It was reported to Ebay countless times and should have been removed. I BEG YOU NEVER TO USE IT. This is NOT A JOKE! Please feel free to call me any time to discuss this 0414 375 XXX. That snatch strap has been very heavily used, it should have been thanked and retired. The seller obviously knew that because he replaced it?? Please leave him Negative Feed back and throw the item in the bin for the sake of your friends and family. If it breaks and that shackle comes through your back window at 200km/h someone will die. Also remember never to Snatch off a Tow ball. I BEG YOU, BIN IT!

- 77gnomes

NissanGQ4.2
28th October 2011, 08:48 PM
well said mate, hope they have the sense to throw it in the bin

YNOT
28th October 2011, 08:49 PM
On page 130 of the current issue (No.172) of 4WD Action they worked out that if a towball broke off during a 15km/h snatch recovery the speed of the towball would be close to 670km/h!!!

Tony

Maxhead
28th October 2011, 08:58 PM
Here is the link to the buyer, i have just messaged them

The Buyer or the dodgy strap (http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sirlezzz&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true)

Here is what i just sent them

I would like to see a response from the buyer, obviously they can't leave a negative feedback but the least they can do is burn the bloody thing!

Maxhead
28th October 2011, 09:00 PM
On page 130 of the current issue (No.172) of 4WD Action they worked out that if a towball broke off during a 15km/h snatch recovery the speed of the towball would be close to 670km/h!!!

Tony

That is just unbelievable and just proves the point.

MudRunnerTD
29th October 2011, 04:53 PM
Well I heard back from the Buyer of the Dodgy strap.

Dear sirlezzz,

G'day mate, My name is Darren and i contact you as a Very Concerned 4WD Trainer. The ARB Snatch Strap that you have purchased recently is beyond its service life. IT IS A DEATH TRAP. It will kill someone. It will Break if used. I begged the seller to remove from auction and got silence. I posted the item on a forum and many members also messaged him to remove it, He did nothing and remained silent. It was reported to Ebay countless times and should have been removed. I BEG YOU NEVER TO USE IT. This is NOT A JOKE! Please feel free to call me any time to discuss this 0414 375 XXX. That snatch strap has been very heavily used, it should have been thanked and retired. The seller obviously knew that because he replaced it?? Please leave him Negative Feed back and throw the item in the bin for the sake of your friends and family. If it breaks and that shackle comes through your back window at 200km/h someone will die. Also remember never to Snatch off a Tow ball. I BEG YOU, BIN IT!

- 77gnomes

Well i got a good response from the Buyer and here it is

Dear 77gnomes,

Hi Darren thanks for the email

well after buying I feel like a mug who should have known better
it did have the marks showing it had been used
but not until you get up close do you realise just how compromised the strap is
appreciate your candour and sense of responsibility for passing on the warning
he was scottish I wonder if that is why he wanted the money for something that is useless for its purpose
rest assured it will not be used for snatching in any way - not even going in the truck
might be good for hold down straps on the boat/trailer if I cut it up
But again many thanks for taking the time to send an email
appreciate it
Les
PS do you really have 77 gnomes??
must be some front yard

- sirlezzz

Good result.

NissanGQ4.2
29th October 2011, 04:57 PM
Great work mate, good 2 hear :)

GUtsy ute
29th October 2011, 04:59 PM
Good to see he listened to you Darren, well done for all the effort you put in and being concerned enough to do
what you did.
Good on you!!

Yendor
29th October 2011, 04:59 PM
That is a great outcome.

beansathome
29th October 2011, 05:02 PM
Well I heard back from the Buyer of the Dodgy strap.

Well i got a good response from the Buyer and here it is

Good result.

did u answer the question about the gnomes lol

Maxhead
29th October 2011, 06:00 PM
Mate well done. The result you wanted!!!!

the ferret
29th October 2011, 06:26 PM
Well done Mudrunner, very happy with the outcome.
Cheers, the ferret.

Silver
29th October 2011, 07:01 PM
I guess if the strap broke, no one would wear a shackle that attached the end of the strap to a recovery point. The shackle would just stay attached to the recovery point.

Whether it was weak enough to protect a tow ball by breaking before the tow ball would remain to be seen I guess.

In any case even just the end of a broken strap sounds like something you wouldn't want to be standing in the way of.

Certainly not something I'd buy :-)

YNOT
29th October 2011, 07:21 PM
Well done MR.

Tony

Clunk
29th October 2011, 07:26 PM
Fantastic result MR, nice work mate

snicko
29th October 2011, 07:42 PM
Well done MR. You have saved a life no doubt.

Thank you for caring for a total stranger. I feel privileged to know you even if its only through the forum. Well done mate.

Sir Roofy
29th October 2011, 07:49 PM
well done MR who knows what might have happened

Grizzly
29th October 2011, 10:55 PM
Nice work mate!

katwoman
29th October 2011, 11:37 PM

x2.. The most important question.....
DO YOU have 77 gnomes ??????

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2011, 04:00 AM
Cheers Guys, i am pleased with how it turned out, was just really poor form.

x2.. The most important question.....
DO YOU have 77 gnomes ??????

LMAO i did get a laugh out of that when i read it, i had a chuckle.

I have been on ebay for nearly 10 years but when i joined back then i was not into 4wding, i was into collecting gnomes............

nah! giggle giggle giggle.

My wife's name is Naomi and i call her Nomes, she is Much younger than me and was born in 1977. So 77gnomes it is, and i added the 'g' for a laugh........lol it took 10 years to get that laugh but it was worth it ;)

Thanks for all your support guys, really appreciate everyone getting behind this.

Cheers

beansathome
30th October 2011, 12:31 PM
Cheers Guys, i am pleased with how it turned out, was just really poor form.

LMAO i did get a laugh out of that when i read it, i had a chuckle.

I have been on ebay for nearly 10 years but when i joined back then i was not into 4wding, i was into collecting gnomes............

nah! giggle giggle giggle.

My wife's name is Naomi and i call her Nomes, she is Much younger than me and was born in 1977. So 77gnomes it is, and i added the 'g' for a laugh........lol it took 10 years to get that laugh but it was worth it ;)

Thanks for all your support guys, really appreciate everyone getting behind this.

Cheers

hahaha thats gold.
good work

Woof
30th October 2011, 02:45 PM
Great job there Darren, well done mate

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2011, 04:31 PM
Cheers guys,

I just checked the sellers feedback and bugger it the buy still gave him good feedback, damn! Oh well. Still a great result, would have liked the seller to get a Neg though damn it.

macca
30th October 2011, 06:03 PM
Fantastic work Daz. You have done that guy a huge favour and its good to see he took it on board.

x2

Great result there mate

frenzy
30th October 2011, 07:52 PM
nice work MR.

Finly Owner
31st October 2011, 11:43 PM
Well done on your persistence Darren.

Tim