PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Lighter Sockets

holden4th
22nd October 2011, 07:36 AM
Another query: On my GU IV DX I can only find one lighter socket for a power source and when I head off to the west in April next year I will need a lot more than that to run my fridge etc. I am really surprised that Nissan appears to have inserted only one power supply source in a vehicle that is definitely for serious off road work. So my questions are:

Is there another power source that I have missed? (I could survive on two)

Can I run a double socket from the socket in the front or will this be too much?

What set up do you have to overcome this issue?

Many thanks

flemj
22nd October 2011, 07:41 AM
Hi Wal,

It will depend on how big your fridge is and do you have a second battery. Have a look in DIY

John

my third 256
22nd October 2011, 09:13 AM
have a look at this on e bay if you dont want to make your own . there are a lot more types also GU PATROL REAR PANEL POWER METER AND SOCKETS COMPLETE
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Car-Truck-Parts-/6030/i.html?_kw=gu&_kw=patrol&_kw=socket&_dmpt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories

Maxhead
22nd October 2011, 09:28 AM
It must be a DX think. The ST comes with 3 as standard. 2 at front and 1 at the back. I also mounted another 2 running from the second battery to run my fridge,etc.
eBay is your friend here mate...lol

DX grunt
22nd October 2011, 10:32 AM
Just a question on this subject..........

I've been told it's better to install a 2 pin plug and have a ciggy lighter hanging off that. Apparently it causes less heat build up/burn out.

I don't know how true this is. Can anybody shed some light on this (figure of speech). lol

Rossco

patch697
22nd October 2011, 12:21 PM

I've been told it's better to install a 2 pin plug and have a ciggy lighter hanging off that. Apparently it causes less heat build up/burn out.

I don't know how true this is. Can anybody shed some light on this (figure of speech). lol

Rossco

Nah....... If the power draw is that grate it courses this sort of situation, The small amount of extra air created around the plug by not having it mounted will be of little benefit im tipping Bro as a plug to suit this purpose will housed anyway.

Yendor
22nd October 2011, 12:30 PM
Another query: On my GU IV DX I can only find one lighter socket for a power source and when I head off to the west in April next year I will need a lot more than that to run my fridge etc. I am really surprised that Nissan appears to have inserted only one power supply source in a vehicle that is definitely for serious off road work. So my questions are:

Is there another power source that I have missed? (I could survive on two)

Can I run a double socket from the socket in the front or will this be too much?

What set up do you have to overcome this issue?

Many thanks

Cigarett lighter sockets are not really designed to run appliances such as fridges, there good for lighting your smoke or charging your mobile phone.

You will be better off running wires from your second battery to your fridge and use a good quality connector.

I personally like the Hella 2 pole connectors, but there are many other connectors suitable.

http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=946

http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=947

Yendor
22nd October 2011, 12:36 PM

Rossco

With any electrical circuit the less connectors/joins you have the better, less places for potential problems.

You would be better off using a better quality plug then the cig lighter socket.

teleman
24th October 2011, 05:17 PM
My DX has 3. 2 in front and 1 in the back. surely they would be there...
Dual battery would be good then as well. keep checking.

holden4th
25th October 2011, 01:29 PM
My DX has 3. 2 in front and 1 in the back. surely they would be there...
Dual battery would be good then as well. keep checking.

Thanks for that. Could you tell me approximately where those other two sockets are?

teleman
25th October 2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for that. Could you tell me approximately where those other two sockets are?

Right. Well, one is on the centre dash, opposite side of the sub tank and demister buttons. The second is at the bottom of the center dash, (gray area in front of the gear stick)
The third is a 12 volt socket in the back left of the boot. This one is not after market. Im sure of it. At the most, is was an added option when the car was ordered.
good hinting.

holden4th
26th October 2011, 08:37 PM
Right. Well, one is on the centre dash, opposite side of the sub tank and demister buttons. The second is at the bottom of the center dash, (gray area in front of the gear stick)
The third is a 12 volt socket in the back left of the boot. This one is not after market. Im sure of it. At the most, is was an added option when the car was ordered.
good hinting.

OK, thank you for the reply and it explains why I don't have a second socket in the front because maybe the previous owner had the circuitry for a second battery installed instead. I'd say that this is the way I'll have to go. As far as the one in the back of your DX goes, I would also have expected one there but can't find it. You don't have a couple of pix by any chance? I am hoping that if there was a second battery in the Patrol that the wiring is still there - one can only hope.

teleman
29th October 2011, 09:42 PM
OK, thank you for the reply and it explains why I don't have a second socket in the front because maybe the previous owner had the circuitry for a second battery installed instead. I'd say that this is the way I'll have to go. As far as the one in the back of your DX goes, I would also have expected one there but can't find it. You don't have a couple of pix by any chance? I am hoping that if there was a second battery in the Patrol that the wiring is still there - one can only hope.

Ill put some pics up in a couple of days. :)