PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank vibration/rattle

Heals61
19th October 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi all,
I have an annoying rattle/vibration noise coming from the rear of the car, sounds like it's coming from the fuel tank area. More noticeable on blue metal roads at low speed. I've had it up on a hoist and can't see any thing loose so I removed the fuel tank bash guard to see if it was that but there is no real difference. Doesn't seem to matter whether the tank is full or empty, It has the normal gearbox growl at low speed/revs so I know it's not that, anybody else had this issue?
It's a 2003 ST wagon

patch697
19th October 2011, 02:20 PM
There is a plate on the R/H side at the rear that covers up you filler & hoses running to your tank..... Check that as the grip check they use to seal it goes hard & comes away resulting in the plate vibrating almost to the point of a hum.

my third 256
19th October 2011, 05:00 PM
check the tow bar hitch pin might be loose / also if you leve d shackles on the back they can rattle / it happened to me

Heals61
26th December 2011, 09:08 PM
Finally found the problem after sitting in the back of the car whilst my missus drove over the very corrugated road into the gorges at Kalbarri. The noise was coming from the roof area and was very hard to pinpoint. I have pulled out the headlining in the car and the glue that holds the bracing to the roof skin has broken away and allows the roof to vibrate against the bracing. I have just reglued the skin so I will see tomorrow if it works!

Heals61
28th December 2011, 12:40 AM
yep, that was it. An annoying problem that has bugged me for the last 4 months is sorted. yehaaaa!

patch697
28th December 2011, 12:42 AM
yep, that was it. An annoying problem that has bugged me for the last 4 months is sorted. yehaaaa!

Brilliant........ Thanks for the follow ups as well.

Cheers
Paul

teleman
28th December 2011, 04:37 PM
I have a rattle in the back of mine. I know its the left sway bar joint. It has some give in it so that whats makes the rattle wehn goin over bumps or rough roads. Maybe yours has the same issue???\

Ahh wait, just read the rest of the thread. lol. Good work on the fix.