PDA

View Full Version : mud tyres

pirate
17th October 2011, 07:39 PM
Hi i was wondering whether it is worth getting mud tyres just for the looks, because i only get a chance togo bush maybe once a month, so most of the driving is on road but just love the look of the muddies, i have heard they are a softer rubber is that true, how long would they last compared to an A/T?
Cheers

AB
17th October 2011, 07:44 PM
I think you would be surprised how long a good set will last though mate.

A set of BF muddies will last a long time. Once a month going off road is quite regular so it would be a good investment I think.

Bigrig
17th October 2011, 07:46 PM
I think you would be surprised how long a good set will last though mate.

A set of BF muddies will last a long time. Once a month going off road is quite regular so it would be a good investment I think.

X2 mate - you should still get a solid 50-60000 out of a set depending on how you drive it, and the benefits off road are well worth the compromise.

growler2058
17th October 2011, 09:40 PM
Get 5 muddies and rotate every 10,000. I do mine every 5,000

taslucas
17th October 2011, 10:52 PM
A few mates (including myself) use the Cooper STT's. They are a fairly hard and long lasting tyre but are really good in the mud. A mate put his on a bit before me and has done 16000 k's and worn 2mm off the front and 4mm off the rear. This is with about 60% black top, 5% gravel roads and 35% flooring it in the mud/rocks/gravel pits. The Cooper STT's should see you into the 60,000k's mark. There is a fine line between the BFG's and the Cooper STT's and usually comes down to personal preference. Keeping the correct tyre pressure will help get the most out of your tyres.
An off road tyre will do both jobs better than an on road tyre.
Good luck:)

Ade
18th October 2011, 02:34 AM
x2 of all above..go for the muddies mate.

Maxhead
18th October 2011, 06:51 AM
Hey Pirate, I run muddies on mine and haven't had too much off-road in the last couple of months but as said before benefits are worth it.
I rotates every 5000 as well and wear is really good. I have Maxxis Bighorns and hardly got any wear in them after about 15k kms

GreaseMonkee
18th October 2011, 09:50 PM
What is the onroad traction like in the wet with the muddies?

Warnie
19th October 2011, 02:53 PM
Onroad is ok, you just have to remember that you are driving with mud tyres on and that they can be a bit more slippery in the wet. All comes down to a bit of common sense

Mrowka
20th October 2011, 03:50 AM
What is the onroad traction like in the wet with the muddies?

Depends on the tire. I have KM2s on my Patrol and so far it brakes fine on wet roads, including panic stops. (I have not done a panic stop from highway speed in the rain but there are not many places to drive at highway speed where I live.) It helps if you drive like an old man. At least that is how I justify it.

I also hear good things about Kumho KL71s on wet tarmac. Whatever you do, if you have to ask "do I need muddies?" do NOT buy tires that get sloppy on wet asphalt. No point in getting someone hurt because you bought more tire than you need.

pirate
22nd October 2011, 05:41 PM
Yeh thats a good point Mrowka, well id say the amount of rain driving i do is minimal as i dont drive to work, and i only drive when i feel like it so that should be fine but yeh good point i didnt think about that.
And im guessing mud tyres will be great in sand too? , probably sounds like a stupid question but ive never used em before and im assuming they would be better for sand then a/t's.
Thanks for all the replys u guys are great!

Warnie
23rd October 2011, 09:55 AM
Well not really, agressive mud tyres will dig in sand and you can get potentially stuck in it. Wide tyres at low pressures are what want in sand, greater surface area in contact with the sand. So AT's are good on sand due to the lack of large spacings between the lugs. A more mild mud tyre will still be good on sand also. Your choice of tyre generally only accounts for 10% of your success rate, ability is generally the key factor so just be smart in what your doing with whatever equipment you choose and you should be fine.

nowoolies
23rd October 2011, 11:36 AM
i have Mickey Thompsons A T Z BAJA lt305/65/17 havent had them long enough to make a big comment
but so far
tried them out breaking in the rain last night, stopped the bus dead ( pity about all the crap in the back of the bus ,hahahahahahah)
took the bus out for a little 4x4ing last weekend , the tracks i went on that i usually need to be in 4x4 ....i did`nt need to put it in 4x4
as far as road noise, good only get a little whine about 80klm. before and after that sweet as.

BUT they look fanfriggingtastic on the bus and thats the best part, hahahahahahahahah

taslucas
25th October 2011, 01:14 PM
Good point paul, Looks are also very important haha.

Not %100 sold on the idea of aggresive tyres being bad in the sand though..... Check out what the arabs are using for their sand dune hill climbs. They use sand paddles similar to the ones you get for a dirt bike.
http://youtu.be/V61yRtKVaqs

Warnie
25th October 2011, 09:40 PM
Good point paul, Looks are also very important haha.

Not %100 sold on the idea of aggresive tyres being bad in the sand though..... Check out what the arabs are using for their sand dune hill climbs. They use sand paddles similar to the ones you get for a dirt bike.
http://youtu.be/V61yRtKVaqs

Yeah but that is mainly for aggressive hill climbs at ridiculously high rpms. Pick appropriate tyres for their desired task.

katwoman
26th October 2011, 04:05 AM
And dont forget, depending on what you drive, big muddies will suck the power out of your engine and make steering heavier.. It does in the 'other' 4x4.

Sir Roofy
26th October 2011, 07:32 AM
Hey Pirate, I run muddies on mine and haven't had too much off-road in the last couple of months but as said before benefits are worth it.
I rotates every 5000 as well and wear is really good. I have Maxxis Bighorns and hardly got any wear in them after about 15k kms

x2 on the bighorns

Grizzly
28th October 2011, 03:07 PM
The Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib are not quite muddies, but they are pretty aggressive looking for an all terrain. You'll probably get a bit more life out of them too!

twinotter600
12th November 2011, 12:45 PM
I really wanted the Silverstone MT Xtreme but not available here in Canada.

Mrowka
17th November 2011, 05:09 AM
Yeh thats a good point Mrowka, well id say the amount of rain driving i do is minimal as i dont drive to work, and i only drive when i feel like it so that should be fine but yeh good point i didnt think about that.

You never know when the rain may come up. At least where I live we sometimes get showers from out of nowhere as it were. Also, do not get muddies if you are going to drive like a hoon. They are fine if you drive like a grandpa but they were not made for sudden turns, repeated panic stops or extended high-speed driving.

So better safe than sorry.

There are several schools of thought regarding what tires are best in sand, and I do not know enough to give an informed opinion.

WaxFraq
18th November 2011, 07:38 PM
I run with Baja MTZ on my Patrol Y60. And they are OK onroad. What size are you looking for? I'm running 38x15,5x15. And they make some noise...but not more than expected! And not like Baja Claw anyways.. =P

On my other car, a 2003 Landcruiser 120...(I know, it's for sale..), I'm running 35x12,5,17 ProComp A/T. They're fine, but not anything I would use in the deep mud..they will just fill up I think...! But anything goes with speed.. =P

Good look finding the tires you're lloking for..!!

Oka374
14th December 2011, 09:56 PM
Toyo muddies, very tough tyre, wear well and don't seem as noisy as some, bit dearer than most though

Gruntgu
31st December 2011, 09:40 PM
I ran Hankook Dynapro M/T on an old 60 series for about 3 years was daily driven for 1/2 that time no complaints on or off road 18psi would go just about anywhere with open diffs. Rocks, mud and sandy stuff performed well for a cheaper tire. If they fitted the GU they would be on there.

whitey
1st January 2012, 07:20 AM
I'am running Cooper stt's (60,000 km so far) are fairly ok in the rain, just need to be mindful though.
Really good on the sand, Fraser and Stockton, It all comes back to the right Boot.

matus368
29th February 2012, 07:30 AM
I donīt see a problem using M/T tires on road but you should be wery wery careful in winter it wonīt breake anythink

ozzymalone
5th April 2012, 03:35 PM
Running Maxxis Bighorns 285/75 and love em'....although they were on the vehicle when purchased @ around 55%tread they still handle predictably on road and prove themselves bigtime on the rocky stuff.....haven't run them on low enough pressures t give
them a good rating on mud though....but thats what they are made for so i'm sure they do well. ;)
Little noisy on road but I don't use mt's to produce "look @ me noise" on the blacktop........they are there for a reason.

iansmqshotyy
6th April 2012, 12:50 AM
even maxxis 762 buckshot, while chaep perfor
m well and deliver good k's , but me geo 001 yokos all the way (: