PDA

View Full Version : Phil's NADS

philws
17th October 2011, 11:12 AM
G'day peeps,

Have just started the NADS adventure, got my catch can on over the weekend (ProVent 200). Bloody pain in the arse to get in there though, the 25mm ID pipe that I got from pirtek is very thick and doesn't bend easily. Next will be the boost gauge, I just need to take the pipe to someone to braze on a connection then I'll fit it up myself.

Sir Roofy
17th October 2011, 11:23 AM
And now to the next step good pics mate

snicko
17th October 2011, 11:39 AM
Great pics. Good luck with the rest. Keep up dating as you go along.

teleman
17th October 2011, 09:49 PM
Great stuff phill. Keep us posted.

T0nka
19th October 2011, 02:51 PM
Sorry phil but i had to laugh at the thread title

philws
19th October 2011, 03:32 PM
just a quick question before I get the boost gauge on.
Is this the right spot for the bung (arrow and circle in pic)?

Cheers

Phil

boots
19th October 2011, 06:39 PM
I reckon there would be fine . most guys put them just on the outlet pipe of the intercooler or the pipe between the two hoses on the outlet,
the one under your pcv hose. from that photo youve shown , looks like your intercooler is leaking too . bottom right - the reason I mention it
is mine done the same , same spot . nice oil residue and dirt / dust . jmo .

philws
19th October 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the pickup boots, I will have to investigate further. I assume that where I put the probe for the gauge i.e. pre or post intercooler will change the reading I get. I want to put it in the most common place so that I can compare readings with other people?

Cheers

Phil

snicko
19th October 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi Phil

This is where my mechanic put ours

Hope this helps

boots
19th October 2011, 11:04 PM
Here is some happy snaps I found on this site . Hope I dont offend anyone by using them and hope it helps you philws .

philws
19th October 2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks boots, is that 2 pre and 2 post intercooler? do you think it makes much difference to readings?

Cheers

Phil

satyx
20th October 2011, 12:01 AM
From what i understand there is a small loss of boost through the IC, so post IC would probably be most accurate.
I will be installing mine post IC in the coming weeks.....

boots
20th October 2011, 05:02 PM
Mine is post ic and has been in two weeks , so far so good .

Chaz
20th October 2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks boots, is that 2 pre and 2 post intercooler? do you think it makes much difference to readings?

Cheers

Phil

The 3rd picture that Boots posted is one of mine, but I have since moved the gauge to the front of the cooler and it made absolutely no difference to the readings.
I think if there was any noticeable difference, you would have a problem with the cooler.

Rather than being concerned where the best place to fit it for an accurate reading, I'd be more concerned about the sensitivity of the gauge. Many people even fit restrictors into the gauge line to dampen the signal so that the gauge doesn't generate an annoying rattle. Personally, I like to keep the line as short as possible, but it may also be wise to consider the temperature of the inlet/outlet of the cooler if using plastic fittings.

cambo
27th October 2011, 11:33 AM
Just looking at that pipe - overkill comes to mind , i sourced some 25mm id hose from the uk , racing fuel hose i believe works great and looks the part ,if anyone wants some hose for further crankcase filters send me a message i have 3 meters left over , u need no more than 1.5 for the job, cheers cambo

philws
7th November 2011, 10:38 AM
Update, unfortunately I have been flat chat so haven't had time to do much with the nads, I just got the gauge mounted in the cab over the weekend and have the hose in the engine bay waiting for a fitting to be put on the IC pipe. I was wondering though if anyone out there with a GUIII who has a boost gauge can recommend what power to connect into that is easily accessible? it is just for the lights so I suppose the preference would be for something that is on that circuit?

Cheers

Phil

boots
7th November 2011, 05:39 PM
Hi philws got my power supply from the back of dimmer switch and earth direct to body . In your question you mention the words " easily
accessible " cant say its that sorry , bit fiddly . maybe someone else may have an easier spot .

philws
28th November 2011, 10:50 AM
Ha Ha FINALLY got the boost gauge hooked up, it amazes me how hard it is to find someone to weld a nut to a pipe, I would've called ten exhaust/auto shops trying to find someone to do it. in the end I just pulled the pipe and went round to different auto shops till I found one to do it. The bastard charged me 50 bucks though which I thought was a bit steep. any way I now have my little boost gauge bouncing away, it is amazing I haven't had an accident between the pyro readings and the boost gauge i barely have time to look at the road :).

Flash Gordon
5th September 2012, 11:06 PM
Here is some happy snaps I found on this site . Hope I dont offend anyone by using them and hope it helps you philws .

Dear Boots, please share the link - I will not be offended. Any and all info appreciated

thanks
mark

boots
6th September 2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry Flash Gordon , at one stage I was having grief uploading pics so I deleted all previous pics posted up. my blew as I was trying to upload pics that were to large and have learnt about photo editing since . will try find again and put them up .

hunter64
15th September 2012, 10:23 PM
hey mate
great picys the more i follow the links the more easy it's going to
be to do the nads on mine so keep up the good work.