PDA

View Full Version : Washing your cars

Maxhead
21st August 2010, 12:56 PM
I've just used dish washing liquid to wash my truck and it looks sparkly clean...hahah ...
I just used a broom to wash and a karcher to wash off

What do you reckon good or bad?

I have heard somwhere along the line it is no good but not sure.

Otherwise what do you use and why?

Cheers
Kris

patch697
21st August 2010, 01:11 PM
CT18 Truck wash for me, Its good stuff for getting off grime & its easy to use just spray it on & hose it off (good for cleaning engine bays & under body to).

I have also heard that dish wash is a no, no but I had a mate who was the head of BMW pre delivery center in Melb & he said if you polish & wax your car regular then dish wash was the best thing to use as it strips away the old wax & prevents wax build up (he used a mix of dish wash & mag wheel cleaner to de-wax BMW's so go figure).

Who knows these days, theirs so many things on the shelf to choose from & then you have one person says one thing an another person says another, I say use what your happy using.

Finly Owner
21st August 2010, 09:27 PM
After much testing in my job. I beleive it's how much you use and how long you leave it on. But pPaul I do cherish CT18 as it seems to do avery good job @ getting through grime and leaving no streaks, or paint bleaching. And it's affordable as well as obtainable everywhere.

YNOT
21st August 2010, 09:50 PM
I use CT18 as well.
Dish wash liquid should be OK, just don't use the kitchen sponge with the green scourer pad on the back, like my mum did! It took Dad days to polish out all the scratches.

Tony

AB
21st August 2010, 09:57 PM
I use CT18 as well.
Dish wash liquid should be OK, just don't use the kitchen sponge with the green scourer pad on the back, like my mum did! It took Dad days to polish out all the scratches.

Tony
When my brother and I were little kids we washed dad's VN commodore for father's day.

We used an old buffer that was hooked up to a 240v drill. The buffer was old and shabby. The water we used had grit and dirt and we ended up leaving circular scratches over his entire car.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY DAD!!!!

Finly Owner
21st August 2010, 09:57 PM
Hmm Tony Sister-in-law was being nice to me and washed my VS commodore when I owned it. Did same. What do you say?

timmy
21st August 2010, 11:37 PM
had some kids come to my door a couple of years ago asking for money as they had washed my car, went out and had a look, nice job for 10 year olds shame about when it had dried, had to go find their mum to put a hold on their pocket money for next 6 months to pay for a full respray!!!

Maxhead
22nd August 2010, 08:57 AM
Haha, the horror stories.

I reckon the dishwashing liquid came out sensational but I don't wax my cars so it might be a no no... I think I'll give the CT18 truck was a go.
I;ll check out prices today.

I suppose just your local car shop like Repco, Supercrap etc should stock it.

patch697
22nd August 2010, 09:24 PM
If you can't find it there try Truck bits or a truck dealership (maybe).

patch697
22nd August 2010, 09:26 PM
Double post,,,, bump

AB
22nd August 2010, 09:26 PM
Repco should have CT18. Bought some there couple of years back now but should still stock it.

Maxhead
22nd August 2010, 09:28 PM
hkhekk,jhjsuhue.....will do , thanks lol

Finly Owner
22nd August 2010, 09:51 PM
As I said NissPat readily available at auto shops. Autobarn is a def.

Maxhead
22nd August 2010, 09:56 PM
As I said NissPat readily available at auto shops. Autobarn is a def.
Cheers mate,,,what's the stuff worth??

Finly Owner
22nd August 2010, 10:06 PM
I think about $30/4L amybe bit more. Must admit have got so much, haven't bought any for a while.

RustyNails
22nd August 2010, 10:47 PM
Just need to be careful with dishwashing liquid as it needs to be really well rinsed off as it tends to stay wet promoting rust.
The good quality car washes breakdown quicker so are less likely to stick in those hard to get places.
Truck washes are a little more acidic so not real good if you are washing your cars often.

For the panels I use Armour All Car Wash as it suds really well or Kitten Glo-Wash. Kitten s real good but a bit dearer and not always around.
These are no good for cleaning under the car as they are too "soft"and the truck washes would be better here.

Paul

MudRunnerTD
23rd August 2010, 06:21 PM
You will get CT18 from any servo that has a HiFlow pump just about too. If the trucks fill up there then they will sell it mate.

"Put it on the fuel card please miss" (maybe not that polite) and then they go out and clean the thing while they "rest" off their log books.

I see CT18 on the shelf all the time.

locks
23rd August 2010, 08:00 PM
Bit of a funny question but has anyone here taken their 4wd through an automatic car wash after a big day out when she's fully caked with mud top to toe?
Ive always wanted to do this just to see what kind of job the auto ones do. Or would it just scratch the bajesus outa your duco and do nothing. hahaha

Finly Owner
23rd August 2010, 10:31 PM
Laser water washes are best. Avoid the brush ones. Especially witha erials and roof spotties.