PDA

View Full Version : Oil for 1998 4.2D GU with aftermarket Turbo

benno_84
21st August 2010, 10:12 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanting some advice regarding oil for the 1998 4.2D GU that I just bought. It has an aftermarket turbo on it and I was wondering if I needed to put different oil through it because of the turbo?

My local shop recommended a Valvoline XLD Plus, but i think they just looked that up on their computer system, I have already put this in with a few new filters but I don't mind going for a different oil if necessary??

Lloyd

patch697
21st August 2010, 11:22 AM
Have a look at this thread Lloyd its a discussion on oils.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?264-What-Oil-Do-You-Use-for-Diesel-Engines

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
21st August 2010, 12:03 PM
You should be OK with pretty much any good quality diesel specific oil. Diesels need additional detergents not found in oils designed for petrol engines.
A 15W40 grade oil should be OK, but if you find your oil pressure a bit low with that grade, then you may need to step up to something a bit thicker. I think I remember reading that your Patrol has about 350,000km on it, so the engine may have some wear depending on how well the previous owners have looked after it.

TD42's are not particurlaly sensitive to oil grade and condition compared to a lot of modern engines, I remember servicing one of my previous service managers TD42 farm truck. I put it up on the hoist, pulled out the sump plug, and waited! A few seconds later the first glob of black gunk fell out of the sump. I let it drain for 2 hours with both oil filters draining seperately. I spent the next 6 hours filling the sump with new oil, running the engine until it was hot before draining the oil and filters again. I must have done it at least 6 or 7 times before I was happy with it, and filled it for the final time with new filters. The cooling system was no better, so I had been draining and refilling it at the same time. Even with that rubbish that had passed for oil and coolant running through the engine, it had never missed a beat.

Tony

Finly Owner
21st August 2010, 09:36 PM
YUK ughh gross