PDA

View Full Version : AVM free wheeling hubs?

grimace
12th October 2011, 08:07 PM
g'day guys need to know about strength and reliabilty of the AVM brand manual free wheeling hubs so any info you can give me would be great cheers....

YNOT
12th October 2011, 11:31 PM
I've never had AVM's myself but I know a number of people who have had them and broken them. Personally I would rather have second hand genuine Nissan manual hubs than brand new aftermarket hubs.

Tony

teleman
13th October 2011, 10:08 PM
Im with Tony. Simplicity is the way to go. who cares if you to get out of the car to look the hubs. No biggie. Stay true blue Nissan and stay manual. (less electronics to go wrong)
Happy Patrol-ing

teleman
13th October 2011, 10:09 PM
Im with Tony. Simplicity is the way to go. who cares if you to get out of the car to look the hubs. No biggie. Stay true blue Nissan and stay manual. (less electronics to go wrong)
Happy Patrol-ing

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 10:15 PM
Only have to take a walk beside Camp Road track at Landcruiser Park to see the outcome of AVM hubs ... dhuck and I walked it last time, and there was no shortage of fractured hubs (AVM) beside the track ... they are cheap no doubt, but seems as though you get what you pay for ...

grimace
13th October 2011, 11:20 PM
the other day my wife was driving the patrol when a truck driving next to her on a sharp bend lost its load of scaffold. it was only that the misses swerved just in time that my truck only sustained minor damage which included the passenger side free wheeling hub being hit and causing a flat spot so the dial can't be turned. i was going to pull it down and grind the flat spot out then put it back together, do you think this would work? would there be an issue with crap getting in?

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 11:33 PM
the other day my wife was driving the patrol when a truck driving next to her on a sharp bend lost its load of scaffold. it was only that the misses swerved just in time that my truck only sustained minor damage which included the passenger side free wheeling hub being hit and causing a flat spot so the dial can't be turned. i was going to pull it down and grind the flat spot out then put it back together, do you think this would work? would there be an issue with crap getting in?

Crap gets in anyway mate - hubs are not the best "crud avoiders" when it comes to water and the like, so as long as it's not a large hole we're talking about, go for it .. Maybe use some instant gasket to seal it up?

portal pat
15th October 2011, 10:01 PM
The newer AVMs with a red centre instead of black are the ones to go for. Much stronger. You won't break then unless you drive crazy.