PDA

View Full Version : Ventilation for a Service Body

thepunter1
10th October 2011, 04:54 PM
Hi All,

I have noticed that there is always some water on the floor of my service body / pod when I have not been using it and it has been sitting for a while.

I think that there is a small leak but I also suspect that some of it due to condensation.

I was looking at putting in something like this.
Solar Fan (http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3370)

Or this as a more expensive option:
Fantastic Fan/Cooling (http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3360)

One thing that I also need to consider is that at some time I will probably put some unistrut type roof racks on the top to carry some solar panels, so I don't want it to stick up too high.

I was also looking at putting in some louver vents down the bottom to allow the air to flow through at night when I sleep in the back. However during the day I would like to close it off to allow for positive airflow to keep the dust out.

I was wondering if anybody else with the service body has put in some sort of ventilation? Also, do I need to worry about dust?

David.

PS. Mine has an Obeico (Tamworth) service body generally found in NSW & QLD from what I can gather.

macca
10th October 2011, 08:01 PM
Mate I found all the leaks in mine and have had no trouble since, used sikaflex it seems to be holding up well for a year now.
Not sure about ventilation, dont want dust to get in so I havn't bothered with them yet.
Macca

GUtsy ute
10th October 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi,
I have one of the Obeico pods on my ute and dust is not an issue if all the door rubbers are in good nick.
I have done lots of outback touring and never get any dust in the pod.
Places to check for leaks are around the perspex windows rubbers (especially the join at the bottom).
Where the unistrut bolts through the roof and look for holes in the floor above the wheels where Telstra
mounted tie down points and shelving etc.
I don't seem to get any condensation inside the pod at any time.
Originally I was going to get a tent type wall made to attach to the inside of the big door
and drop it down at night for ventilation.
It was going to go to ground level with a door and window in it giving you somewhere to
get dressed etc.
I chose a tent to sleep in instead, giving heaps of room in the pod for a kitchen, fridge and storage.

Hope you find where the water is getting in.
Also I don't have any ventilation on my pod, I find they stay cool inside even when they are sitting in the sun.
If you have any other queries I'll be happy to help out if I can.

Cheers Gavin

thepunter1
11th October 2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys for the replies and advice. I will have a go with the sikaflex. I do know that there is a small hole in the black rubber strip on top of one of the doors.

David.