PDA

View Full Version : Engine changeover

Pete's GU3
20th August 2010, 01:41 PM
Guys just wondering if my 03 3lt TD Patrol ever shits itself, can i put in a 4.2lt TD and will it fit straight in without too much fuss, and how much would i might pick one up for ????
Has anyone done it ???

YNOT
20th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Not quite a straight fit. Engine mount bracket on chassis needs to be moved, I think the bell housing on the gearbox may be different, and different wiring loom. There may be other small mods like changing fuel system hoses, filters etc, power steer and air conditioner hoses.
3l and 4.2 use the same manual gearbox (maybe minor ratio differences-nothing to worry about), very few TD42's ever came to Australia with an auto behind them, so if your 3l is auto, you may have trouble finding parts to get the auto to work with the TD42.

Being an '03 model I'm fairly sure you need to get a TD42 with an electronic injector pump to get it approved (emission laws), a low K motor may cost $4-6,000.

It's been done many times.

I was at a Jap import wrecker last week, they had at least 4 1HD-FTE (6 cylinder 4.2 DOHC Turbo diesel) Toyota motors in stock. I hate to say it being a passionate Nissan man, but that would be a nice conversion. And it has been done.

Tony

Maxhead
20th August 2010, 08:52 PM
I was at a Jap import wrecker last week, they had at least 4 1HD-FTE (6 cylinder 4.2 DOHC Turbo diesel) Toyota motors in stock. I hate to say it being a passionate Nissan man, but that would be a nice conversion. And it has been done.

Tony

Yes I agree, that would be a ideal combination
It was called the TONI project ...check it out- http://www.nomadiclife.com.au/4x4repair.htm

YNOT
20th August 2010, 10:02 PM
I've looked at the threads for project TONI ("TOyota NIssan" for thoses who haven't heard of it) in the past. Personally I think it would have been better to adapt the Nissan transfer case (to the rear of the cruiser gearbox) with it's centred rear output shaft, than use the offset output cruiser transfer.

Tony

Pete's GU3
21st August 2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah i just read most of that story , great if you have a spare car for a while and the cash ...might be an option until my ZD30 dies , until now so far so good ...
.Anyway why don't Nissan just bring out something like a 3 lt TD V6....or a 5lt TD V8..........to good size engines that work ....if they do i will be straight down to see my bank manager..........

Pete's GU3
21st August 2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah i just read most of that story , great if you have a spare car for a while and the cash ...might be an option until my ZD30 dies , until now so far so good ...
.Anyway why don't Nissan just bring out something like a 3 lt TD V6....or a 5lt TD V8..........to good size engines that work ....if they do i will be straight down to see my bank manager..........

YNOT
21st August 2010, 06:07 PM
Check post 28 in this thread, you may be in luck.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?109-Are-Nissan-Bring-Out-V8-s/page3

Tony