PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge problem

Twomey
8th October 2011, 04:07 PM
Hi, can anyone help me?

I have purchased a second hand 2005 patrol ti. Love it and all the features.

However, it did have log which damaged the engine previously that is now fixed. The gas tank at back was disconnected and removed also before I brought it. However, the fuel gauge does not work and always says full when turn engine on. I looked under car next to sub tank and found wires unplugged, but different size fittings and nothing matching to plug into.

I also randomly have the entire dashboard go black on me while driving.

I took it to my closest dealer and they were unable to identify the problem and didn't really want to help. And as luck should have it the dash worked fine while in their possession.

Does anyone have any ideas on the problem or how to fix it?

Thank you.

Adam

Twomey
8th October 2011, 04:08 PM
I wrote it had log, but I meant LPG. Silly spell check.

Adam

-ET 4wd-
16th October 2011, 10:58 PM
So you have removed the LPG and put a normal fuel tank in its place?
The wire colour you are lookin for to the sender in the tank and to the gauge on ya dash is a solid yellow wire.
If the gauge is showing full all the time i would say that someone has wired it to a earth.
The dash dying could be a offshoot of the above as the gauge is meant to work on degrees of resistance and havin it going to a dead short might be makin it have a hearty.

Have fun bloke,

Steve.

Robo
2nd January 2012, 09:49 PM
Is it efi.
The plug on car harness caters for efi also .
Which means extra conection for in tank fuel pump.
If yours is carby 4.2 then the extra wires are simply not hooked up on this set up.
The 4.2 efi model, the mechanical fuel pump is ommitted and blanked off with a plate
Good chance it's simply wired incorectly.
FYI , If your sender unit is knackered, but it doesn't sound like it, good news someone on ebay selling for $125 new genuine. dont bother with nissan to expensive.
Good luck