PDA

View Full Version : Maxxis Mudzilla? Or Bighorn?

neet_wagon
4th October 2011, 12:27 PM
Tried using the search function both on the forum, and within the Maxxis feedback thread - couldn't find a single post on the mudzilla.
Anyone used them?

I'm also interested in something like this: Bighorns on black 15" sunnies (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-inch-Sunraisia-Wheels-Maxxis-Bighorn-Tyres-BNew-/330619510670?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfa755f8e) However should I be looking at 15" or 16" wheels?

A set of 4 Mudzilla's is around the $1400 mark, about the same for a set of Bighorns with wheels it looks like.

Driving will be anywhere and everywhere I can. Will be daily driver to work (10k's dirt, and 15k's bitumen @ 80km/h), and the new house we are building (out of town/acreage :thumbup) is on a dry-weather-road, so mud tyres are going to come in handy through the winter months.

What would you guys suggest?

Ben-e-boy
4th October 2011, 12:56 PM
I suggest trepadores I love em

lg 91
4th October 2011, 04:01 PM
i run bighorns on my gu everyday car and think there great on the road,wet, and mud. but iam looking into the trepadores for my next play tyre.

i thought mudzillas only came in bias ply

neet_wagon
4th October 2011, 06:07 PM
i run bighorns on my gu everyday car and think there great on the road,wet, and mud. but iam looking into the trepadores for my next play tyre.

i thought mudzillas only came in bias ply

See, I have no idea what "BIAS PLY" means.....

Trepadores look good, how noisy are they? They look noisy standing still, lol.

lg 91
4th October 2011, 06:20 PM
bias means they have no steel belt and are a offroad tyre.
you can get trepadors in bias as well here are a pic off the radial they are a great looking tyre but i cant commet on noise.
they are looking to be my next choice of tyre

MudRunnerTD
4th October 2011, 07:46 PM
Running Treps every day will get expensive, especially if you go for the Stickies which is what guys are chasing. For your daily all rounder I'd be thinking the Big horns mate for something that ticks all teh boxes for you and will see 40 to 70,000kms... the Treps will likely see 10k or less.

Sir Roofy
4th October 2011, 07:53 PM
I like the bighorns as an all round tyre they seem to be wearing ok had them on for 12months
and go most places of road ok

neet_wagon
4th October 2011, 07:57 PM
Liking the sound of the k's you can get out of the bighorns. I have an XH XR6 ute that I can alternate daily duties with too. Was going to sell it as well, thinking I might hang onto it for awhile longer though.

Ben-e-boy
5th October 2011, 02:16 AM
I have 10.000 km on my treps and the tread depth has hardly changed I have just ripped the odd chunk out of a lug or three and thats not from on road use

yes mudrunner they can get expensive but a proper maxxis dealer do them quite cheap I picked mine up for $346 35-12.5/15 each in southport qld
there are some people i know who have paid more for 33 inch mickys

MudRunnerTD
5th October 2011, 08:44 AM
I have 10.000 km on my treps and the tread depth has hardly changed I have just ripped the odd chunk out of a lug or three and thats not from on road use

yes mudrunner they can get expensive but a proper maxxis dealer do them quite cheap I picked mine up for $346 35-12.5/15 each in southport qld
there are some people i know who have paid more for 33 inch mickys

Is that for Radial Treps Bene? and Hard compound or Stickies? that is cheap!

Ben-e-boy
5th October 2011, 11:43 AM
Is that for Radial Treps Bene? and Hard compound or Stickies? that is cheap!

They are the radials and they arnt stickies, but in saying that they arnt a hard compund either you can easily twist and mash the lugs.

I was recommended to go to this bloke for maxxis, the next cheapest quote was $440. he came up with $346 and near fell over
this guy is a mazzis dealer and is sponsored by maxxis for his comp rig. he runs in tuff trucks etc

aaron
5th October 2011, 06:27 PM
hi i just put Mickey tomson CLAWS on my rig on 16in rims tyer noise not to bad at all tho they are new still with only 600km on them they are unreal in mud rock sand loose gravel so much grip i love them. tho dont know how long they wuld last on the road gues ill find out soon enough...

Maxhead
5th October 2011, 09:17 PM
For what is't worth I've been running Bighorns for about 15k and they still look about 70%.
About 70% dirt/rock and 30% black top.

I have not had any issues at all, except the noise .... especially when they wear in

Bigrig
5th October 2011, 10:07 PM
My bighorns have only done 6000 klms since I bought them second hand with about 90% tread, and appear to be wearing well - they're pretty chopped up considering the driving I do, but coping pretty well all considered.

bordertech
13th March 2012, 09:55 PM
Mudzilla's were MT Claw copies and AFAIK aren't available in Oz anymore unless they're old stock or spmeone specifically buys them in.

I've been running Bighorns for a while now and they're holding up well (35 x 12.5 x 15) Did a 5000km round trip to the middle of the outback on them last year Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, Finke etc (gibber, sand, general rough'ish tracks) Had no punctures or chipping. Not bad considering the Patrol was over 4 ton but I think running 24-26psi off the black top helped prevent fractures etc from rocks and stones. I rate the Bighorns up there as a good tough all rounder. I think they're around the $360 mark now for 35's

Cheers, Bordertrek

nissannewby
14th March 2012, 12:39 AM
I thought you could only get mudzilla in a bias ply and they had no speed rating. I would stick with the bighorn they seem to be a proven budget all round tyre. You would be hard pushed getting a sticky trep for less than 500 a tyre and thats if you know someone the radials seem good to start with but a mate of mine had them and had major balancing issues once they started to wear.