PDA

View Full Version : EFI conversion

dirty_dog
3rd October 2011, 11:15 PM
would like to know what would be invloved in converting a carbied TB42 to EFI. what parts would be needed (the names) how difficult it would be. was thinking this would be a good upgrade, but would like to hear what others think, so it would be great to hear from ppl that have done this. I'm not that experianced with this sort of stuff be i reckon i can do anything i put my mind to it,plus i got me old man to help he's good at this stuff

patch697
3rd October 2011, 11:23 PM
For the minimal power & economy increase the jobs not worth the money involved IMO.

dirty_dog
4th October 2011, 12:05 AM
oh really. not worth it. how much would it cost,ya reckon. what would be a good upgrade for the Q. I just got a company car so i can take her off the road for a while and i'm looking for something cool to sink me teeth into. I just love working on me car and want to learn more.

patch697
4th October 2011, 02:34 AM
Costing???.... Well I'd be starting with a downer Q for one as you will need wiring loon ECU fuel tank manifold injectors distributor.... The list just goes on & on. Its a big job to undertake for a mechanic & not something I'd even go close to recommending for someone with a reasonable mechanical knowledge.

There are far cheaper & more achievable ways to get a bit more out of a TB42s then going up the road of fuel injection.

Now whats it had done so far?

dirty_dog
5th October 2011, 07:13 PM
nothing been done so far.i've just finished fixin all the problems i bought her with.

patch697
5th October 2011, 07:37 PM
First thing is getting it to breath better by installing some extractors (theirs a member on here with a near new set for sale) & a good quality hi flow exhausts. (if you don't have or know of a good local mob give Scott's Rods a call)

This will improve power & economy, just don't expect it to turn into a V8 is all.

Bigrig
5th October 2011, 09:43 PM
First thing is getting it to breath better by installing some extractors (theirs a member on here with a near new set for sale) & a good quality hi flow exhausts. (if you don't have or know of a good local mob give Scott's Rods a call)

This will improve power & economy, just don't expect it to turn into a V8 is all.

I've got a set of pacemaker extractors mate as per Patch's post - if keen, shoot me a PM.

photodave
12th October 2011, 03:05 PM
So much cheaper to do a full motor swap surely? purchase an efi variant from a wrecker, but evern then fuel tank etc etc as has been said.
if you are going to go down that sort of $$$ road, why not look at an engine conversion to something with a bit more.... oomf as is were?

-ET 4wd-
17th October 2011, 12:19 AM
Geez it would be cheaper to V8 it!
I looked into this and even the head on the EFI engines is different, so you would need one of them as well.
It's a massive job, if ya want more grunt and ya have some coin to burn LS-1 it!.....then they go good!!

Steve.

yakumo
18th October 2011, 02:54 AM
Well that answered my question, patch, you mentioned other things to do to her? Im running a carby tb42 myself, I have extractors and exhaust, at the moment im doing extended rotor button and a pertronix kit, any other suggestions?