PDA

View Full Version : Sub Tank on my GU

Leighw85
2nd October 2011, 06:18 PM
Hi all

ok so my GU came with Gas/Diesel injection and the bloke at the car yard said "the sub tank has been taken out to fit the gas tank". Well this isnt the case.
The Sub fuel tank is under the drivers side of the car and the gas tank is on the passengers side.

So today, i went down and put $20 of fuel in the sub tank and now is has a reading, as it must of been dead empty.
My main tank is full also.

So what do i do to swith to the sub tank? because when i push the button absolutely nothing happens. No lights come on the dash or the switch.

Does the main tank have to be empty for it to work?
Or was the car bloke right in saying the sub tank has been disconnected, for what reason i dont know.

cheers all
appreciating all the help im getting and learning about my new bus.
:)

boots
2nd October 2011, 07:04 PM
When you press the sub tank switch in/on a light comes on at the switch ( bright green ) It transfers fuel from sub tank to main tank . I
wait until the main tank is below 1/4 but more often than not the low fuel light on the fuel guage ( bright orange ) comes on to remind me to do
it - just lazy .

Leighw85
2nd October 2011, 07:27 PM
yeah at the moment nothing happens at all! no light on the switch or the dash. but as i said my main tank is full. But i thought something should at least happen....

guterra
2nd October 2011, 10:01 PM
Try checking fuses to start with. Make sure one hasn't been pulled. Off memory, it runs off an acc line... Cant remember if it has its own fuse or is integrated into the main acc fuse. Thats where I would start. Failing that, jump under her and see if any wiring has been disconnected.

Leighw85
2nd October 2011, 10:43 PM
well it has its own fuse, and thats fine.
cant see any disconnected wored around the sub tank. I cant see why the tank would be disconnected if the tank is still in the car???

GUtsy ute
2nd October 2011, 10:46 PM
See what happens when your main tank gets down a bit.

Leighw85
2nd October 2011, 10:59 PM
might have to mate. I just thought at least something will happen when i flicked the switch....

beansathome
3rd October 2011, 12:04 AM
i thought my pump on subtank was broken as no light came on when i hit the switch but shen the tank got down a bit it worked so if its full give it time.

Leighw85
3rd October 2011, 10:38 AM
All is good and in working order. Once the main tank went down a bit i pressed the button the light and pump came on and started pumping the fuel over. You beauty!!!

Does anyone know how many liters of fuel the stock tanks held?

molongmick
3rd October 2011, 11:41 AM
Hi there, I think the sub tank is supposed to hold about 30L, while the main holds about 95L.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sir Roofy
3rd October 2011, 12:16 PM
Hi there, I think the sub tank is supposed to hold about 30L, while the main holds about 95L.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

i dont think this is far of the mark 30/95

beansathome
3rd October 2011, 12:17 PM
All is good and in working order. Once the main tank went down a bit i pressed the button the light and pump came on and started pumping the fuel over. You beauty!!!

Does anyone know how many liters of fuel the stock tanks held?

nice thought u might need to use some fuel to see if it worked. and the tank is ment to hold 25L but when u include the spout it goes u 2 round 30L

-ET 4wd-
4th October 2011, 01:39 AM
Yep sub is about 30-35 litres on the wagon and about 80-85 litres in the utes.
Main should be around the 90-ish mark on both.
I have to wait till mine gets to 3/4 before the pump on the sub will work then it will pump the main back to full and switch off.

Steve.

belzi82
4th October 2011, 06:41 PM
yeah at the moment nothing happens at all! no light on the switch or the dash. but as i said my main tank is full. But i thought something should at least happen....

When my main tank is full - nothing happens with the sub tank button, maybe try again when you've used a little fuel!

macca86
4th October 2011, 09:23 PM
for the first 30 seconds after you start the motor in a diesel and 10 seconds on the petrol the sub tank transfers fuel to the main tank. as above post have mentioned fuel capacities accurately. The sub tank will manually pump fuel over one you have used a 1/4 tank otherwise it faults. If there is a fault in your sub tank the orange sub tank light will stay on after ignition.
run your fuel down and try it at 3/4 full.

Leighw85
4th October 2011, 09:39 PM
yeah my sub tank works fine now.
had to run it down a bit.
thanks for everyones input :)

the ferret
5th October 2011, 01:08 AM
I thought the main tank was 100 litres, but you are probably right, either way, it costs a fortune ta fill em both!!
Cheers, the ferret.

RoBoCoP
22nd March 2012, 12:12 AM
for the first 30 seconds after you start the motor in a diesel and 10 seconds on the petrol the sub tank transfers fuel to the main tank. as above post have mentioned fuel capacities accurately. The sub tank will manually pump fuel over one you have used a 1/4 tank otherwise it faults. If there is a fault in your sub tank the orange sub tank light will stay on after ignition.
run your fuel down and try it at 3/4 full.

Thanks for that macca86. I just bought my first patrol 2.8TD and wondered why my subtank was slowly going down.

On another note i now have a problem with my subtank not working and the dash light being on. I replaced some of the instruement cluster lights with new dimmable LED lights. When I did this the Subtank light came on and has been on ever since. I also noticed that the subtank gauge has not moved since either. Would replacing the instruement lights with LEDs cause this?

Boofa
22nd March 2012, 09:25 PM
yea all sounds about right, from what i understand there is a level switch which will not allow you to overfill your main tank

Ben81C
23rd March 2012, 06:05 PM
My sub tank had similar problem after a solid thump to the rear bar going up a nasty little hill climb. I tried everything i could think of. A week later i took it for a swim and it went into limp mode (water somewhere it didn't like) after i dried the electrics under the door seals (which mind you are useless at stopping water) I reset the ECU and presto my sub tank worked again. Stuffed if i could work out why but it worked. Give it a go, worst case scenario you have the same prob and have to reset your radio.