PDA

View Full Version : Jump Start from second Battery

Maarten
30th September 2011, 08:23 PM
G'd Day everyone,

Although I cannot see a problem doing this I would just like to ask if there is a good reason stopping one to jump start a Patrol from the second battery without disconnecting any other peripherals from the second battery. I use a 1314 Sure Power Battery Separator in the system.

Thank you for your time

patch697
30th September 2011, 08:49 PM
This really depends on what type of battery you run as a secondary....

ie: standard crank type, duel cycle or a deep cycle?

Yendor
30th September 2011, 09:17 PM
I can't see a problem with it, as long as you know why you needed to do a jump start , eg left lights on.

I would just leave it running on a fast idle for a little while to bring the charge up in your main battery, before disconnecting your jumper lead??

If need (stuck somewhere) I would also try and jump start from a deep cycle battery, just my opinion, beats walking.

patch697
30th September 2011, 09:21 PM
I can't see a problem with it, as long as you know why you needed to do a jump start , eg left lights on.

I would just leave it running on a fast idle for a little while to bring the charge up in your main battery, before disconnecting your jumper lead??

If need (stuck somewhere) I would also try and jump start from a deep cycle battery, just my opinion, beats walking.

I've jumped from a deep cycle & they well give you one go at it before dropping there lunch but there all but knackered after it.

Maarten
30th September 2011, 09:32 PM
Thank you, Patch. It is marked as extreme starting and cycling but it is also called hybrid.

Yendor
30th September 2011, 09:32 PM
I've jumped from a deep cycle & they well give you one go at it before dropping there lunch but there all but knackered after it.

I guess that all depends on how discharged the main cranking battery is.

Like I said, thats what I would do, if I had to.

Maarten
30th September 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks, mate. I agree with you. Anything beats walking...

patch697
30th September 2011, 09:44 PM
Thank you, Patch. It is marked as extreme starting and cycling but it is also called hybrid.

Thats something similar to what I run & I can jump start & have jump started myself before today so you should be fine.

I have whats called a duel start system. Its made up from a 300amp soft start solenoid a temporary push button switch on the dash.

This will link the 2x batteries together at the push of a button & effectively im jump starting myself & as soon as I take my finger off the button all is back the way it was....

Simple as & no mucking around.

Yendor
30th September 2011, 09:47 PM

I agree with Paul, you should have no problem jump starting from this battery.

Maarten
30th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you very much for all the informative replies. Hope you have a great weekend.