PDA

View Full Version : Michelle's MQ Resto

Pages : [1] 2

MudRunnerTD
30th September 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi all, Im new at this :)

Hi, my name is Michelle, I am after some info on an old nissan and it has been recomended that i join up and see if some one can help me out.
My hubby and I are I are looking in to getting an old Nissan Patrol MQ swb on the road, (well thats what we think it is) to use as a camping /fishing weekender, it has been sitting in a farm shed for years after having a new engin put in, and apart from a few minor details should be easy to get back on the road.

The main thing we are wanting to know is can we legally/safley put our small kids in the back seat that it has in it with their booster seats? have been trying to find out via the internet but had no luck so far and i am wondering if the back seat that is in it is even legal?

Thankyou Michelle

Here she is

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8528&thumb=1&d=1317356886

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8525&thumb=1&d=1317356539

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8526&thumb=1&d=1317356539

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8527&thumb=1&d=1317356539

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8520&thumb=1&d=1317356246

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8521&thumb=1&d=1317356246

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8522&thumb=1&d=1317356246

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8523&thumb=1&d=1317356246

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8524&thumb=1&d=1317356246

Michelle
30th September 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks Mudrunner, any comments and advice is apreciated :) I was hoping maybe some new rear panels and a tailgate would get the big parts of the rust taken care of if I can get them, the front panels are all good with just a little rust in the bottem of the doors, we would be doing most of the work our selves if we can, I inherrted this mq after my grandad died but she has been sitting there untouched for a lot of years :(

Up dated

Just thought I'd do an update since the piccis out of the first post have mostly dissapeared and we now know she runs :thumbup: but the clutch is a little dodgy, so may need a replacement master cylinder and slave cylinder.
But over all happy with the progress allthogh we still havent got her home yet she is now back in a shed feeling loved again :smile:

Some updated pics

katwoman
30th September 2011, 06:23 PM
You've certaily got a bit of work ahead of you there..
I'm sure it'll come up a treat !

growler2058
30th September 2011, 07:01 PM
Be a great project I reckon :-)

the ferret
30th September 2011, 07:16 PM
She looks to be an 81 or 82 MQ swb, with an SD33 NA 24v and she will have a 4 spd gearbox
I used to cart my kids around in one just like it, as long as it has seatbelts factory, I can't see a problem other than that the radiator is probably rotten.
Keep an eye out for a 5 speed box from an MK, they fit with just a bit of mucking around, I have done this and can help with info on fitting.
Cheers, the ferret.

AB
30th September 2011, 07:34 PM
I love project cars, keep the questions and updates for us Michelle and good luck with it.

I would certainly utilize the knowledge here for this restoration project mate.

Yendor
30th September 2011, 07:42 PM
If it is the factory seats and seat belts I can't see a problem using a booster seat.

If you are using a capsule then you will need to get an anchor mount fitted.

I would have a good look around the seat mounting points and seat belt mounting points for rust.

Looks like it will be a good project.

Cheers Rodney

the ferret
30th September 2011, 08:03 PM
Feel free ta pump me on this one Michelle, I have had about 5 and each one was a challenge to make and build and change things,
I also have the workshop manual so if there is anything you want to know, feel free to PM me.
Cheers, the ferret.

Finly Owner
1st October 2011, 11:19 PM
I have some parts available up her Michelle, just need to work out transport for anything big otherwise we can use Aust.post.

Tim

the ferret
1st October 2011, 11:36 PM
Got a 24v starter if ya need one.
Cheers, the ferret.

chester
2nd October 2011, 12:06 AM
Looks like a good project you got there i have a soft spot for the old MQ's,just an idea for you,with the rust in the rear wheel arch could you cut it out out then get some factory fibreglass flares?
or even just use the flexi rubber ones.

Michelle
3rd October 2011, 11:14 AM
I have some parts available up her Michelle, just need to work out transport for anything big otherwise we can use Aust.post.

Tim

Thanks Tim will keep you in mind Cheers :)

Michelle
3rd October 2011, 11:16 AM
Looks like a good project you got there i have a soft spot for the old MQ's,just an idea for you,with the rust in the rear wheel arch could you cut it out out then get some factory fibreglass flares?
or even just use the flexi rubber ones.

Thanks Chester, we have thought about this option and is most likely that it well be the way we go :)
Cheers Michelle

Michelle
3rd October 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi, so has any one ever coverted a 24 volt back to a 12 votl?? My hubby is a qualified auto elec and is thinking about it.
My dad is also a retired mechanic and is going to take a look at her for me give her the once over, and hopfully get her running again :) he was the mechanic that did the engin up in the first place and I found out that he knows alot more about its history than I knew, also found that it has been started up not so long ago after all :D just after 2 flat tyres no one botherd to fix them. She was used as a paddock rig for checking the cows in calving season, and ran really well.
Now im gettig keen to see her going again :D

the ferret
3rd October 2011, 11:55 AM
You would need to swap all the 24v stuff fer 12v, Starter, alternator, edic motor on injector pump, lights, wiring, glo plugs, relays, modules, all sorts of stuff.
I think you would be better off leaving it at 24v, after all, it's only an extra battery and 24v has more cranking power than 12v.
Cheers, the ferret.

MQ MAD
3rd October 2011, 12:25 PM
Theres nothin at all wrong with the 24 V versions,just ensure that when replacing batteries you buy 2
Most of the wiring will be fine , even some of the 24V gear is only 12 V,like ignition barrells
Ferretts , pritty much sumed up whats needed, plus the dash cluster
The 5 speed conversions arent hard to do, getting the 5 speed tailshafts for a SWB are getting near impossible, as they are different lengths from 4 to 5 speed
The wide fibreglass flares are rarer than rocking horse poo,new around the $700-$800 a set
Factory steel flares are around, fronts are getting hard to get and sets get split as fronts flares fit utes
Any bolt up panels,like doors ,front guards ,tailgate,bonnet ect,if buggered look for the best 2nd hand stuff you can find
Even GQ front doors fit, albeit minus the 1/4 windows

Michelle
3rd October 2011, 03:43 PM
lets see if this works :smile:

Michelle
3rd October 2011, 03:48 PM
Oh just a few more now that I have it working :D

chester
3rd October 2011, 08:31 PM
Even GQ front doors fit, albeit minus the 1/4 windowsFront guards aswell i had some on my old MQ wagon.

Finly Owner
3rd October 2011, 11:46 PM
I have some good blue sun visors and some good cond blue dash parts(plastic bits)

Tim

Michelle
4th October 2011, 10:19 AM
I have some good blue sun visors and some good cond blue dash parts(plastic bits)

Tim
Thanks Tim I have to get back over to her soon and give the interior a good bolw out and see what is under all that dust, then I wil know more of what I need, I think the console us missing out of her but freight to vic may be expecive? but will keep you in mind

MQ MAD
5th October 2011, 12:15 PM
Dont be too warry of frieght
Aussie post charge $10.50 for 3 KG parcel from anywhere in australia to anywhere in australia

IF you can find most things from 1 person,plus frieght it works out alot cheaper than ringing every wrecker known to man (Most dont have em anymore)
Or driving all over the country lookin
As i mentioned in your other thread, alot of bits for these oldies dont hit evilbay,alot is sold amongst various forums
In the years and years ive had these ive never advertised on evilbay

Finly Owner
5th October 2011, 10:45 PM
Between MQ Mad and I, you should be able to get a lot of what you want.

Tim

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2011, 12:20 AM
So Michelle, It looks like your enjoying this forum. You can see by the interest from our members there is a great bunch of folk here. This is teh best place you could have come for info on such a resto. Good luck with it mate.

Michelle
6th October 2011, 10:55 AM
So Michelle, It looks like your enjoying this forum. You can see by the interest from our members there is a great bunch of folk here. This is teh best place you could have come for info on such a resto. Good luck with it mate.

Thanks, :) I seem to be learning alot considering I knew next to nothing lol but it has inspired me to really get moving on this, My dad (a retired machanic) is coming over from Tas in a few weeks and has promisd me he will take a look at the engin and see about getting her fired up and rolling again :D I know I'm bighting off alot with this one but really think I could get into this.
On another note can anyone tell me if the rear quarter gards bold on and off or is there some cutting and welding involved?
Cheers Michelle

patch697
6th October 2011, 10:58 AM
Its cutting & welding for the rear quarters

MQ MAD
7th October 2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks, :) I seem to be learning alot considering I knew next to nothing lol but it has inspired me to really get moving on this, My dad (a retired machanic) is coming over from Tas in a few weeks and has promisd me he will take a look at the engin and see about getting her fired up and rolling again :D I know I'm bighting off alot with this one but really think I could get into this.
On another note can anyone tell me if the rear quarter gards bold on and off or is there some cutting and welding involved?
Cheers Michelle

These ol rigs arent too bad , and great for a learner, really
No computers or all that rubbish
Just good ole,industrial,reliable stuff
(These SD33 motors were in forklifts and trucks,so they must be good)
The rear 1/4 panels dont unbolt unfortunately,but most of that section is the same as a wagon

The main thing to watch with the SWB is the edges of the rear wheel archs
They not only rust out bad at the bodies edge, but in the front corners of the wheel arch,where the body and floor meet

I think theres a thread on here ???, that notes all the major rust areas in these oldies
If ya cant find it,ill post up what they are

Just dont overstress IF things turn for the worse,cover it up and walk away from it
Then get back to it ,later
Dont do what i do , and injure yourself trying to do too much , then nothin happens for months

Michelle
7th October 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks Mad, I am really looking forward to bringing her home now and having a reall good look at it , may have a lead on an old swb shell not too far from me too :D will see how that turns out over the next few days.

Finly Owner
7th October 2011, 11:16 PM
When you get it home we expect a pic of you hugging your passion (the patrol, not you man) LOL!

Tim

Michelle
10th October 2011, 12:35 PM
Haha @ Tim :p So managed to score a swb hard top shell with a few useful parts on it, Tailgate, flares, sunnies, console, side mirrors, ect and maybe some spares, :) hope to get the ol blue girl running this coming week end and give her a bloody good clean out then see if it will be a trailer job or if we can get away with a permit and drive her home.:thumbup:

Finly Owner
11th October 2011, 12:24 AM
AHH a parts donor. that's always a help.

Tim

MQ MAD
13th October 2011, 09:48 AM
Oh no !!!
The bug has biten
Got 1
Now 2

Lookout , theyll start growing, theyll be everywhere soon

MQ MAD
13th October 2011, 09:50 AM
So managed to score a swb hard top shell with a few useful parts on it, Tailgate, flares, sunnies, console, side mirrors, ect and maybe some spares,

Was that the one on evilbay ,that had the black wide flares ???

Michelle
13th October 2011, 01:41 PM
Was that the one on evilbay ,that had the black wide flares ???

Yeah the grey one got my brother to pick it up for me so I havent seen it yet but he tells me I will get alot of parts of it for the money :)

Michelle
14th October 2011, 12:40 PM
Well this weekend is the weekend :D we will drag her out and get the her running, (fingers crossed) give her a bloody good clean out, and maybe put the replacement tailgate on, (if all goes well) :) got a small army of helpers organised so we should be able to make a good start :cheers:

Clunk
14th October 2011, 12:56 PM
great stuff....... looking forward to this, love a good build up thread

BenGood
15th October 2011, 09:27 AM
Shameless selling opportunity! Michelle, if it turns out that your motor is knackered, I have a turbo diesel motor here in Newcastle that you can have for $500. :)

nowoolies
15th October 2011, 10:31 AM
Well this weekend is the weekend :D we will drag her out and get the her running, (fingers crossed) give her a bloody good clean out, and maybe put the replacement tailgate on, (if all goes well) :) got a small army of helpers organised so we should be able to make a good start :cheers:

and dont forget before and after piccies...................we luv piccies hahahahaha

Michelle
18th October 2011, 02:35 PM
:thumbup: Well I'm back from a long weekend of playing around in the dust and the cob webbs :p So after messing around with oil levles and checking a few things we rounded up a couple of batteries and hooked em up, Started no probs at all :D Dad said she sounded great considering she hadent been touched for so many years, (you know cos I wouldent know ;P) has a bit of a dicky clutch but we worked around that for now, Dad said after pulling the master cylinder apart that I may need a replacement there and possibley the slave as well.
Any way after fixing the brakes we took her for a spin around the paddok she loved it!!
We then replaced the tailgate and chucked the sunnys I got off the parts car on, looks good so far I think, we then got out the angle grinder ... Well I let the pics that are coming explain what we started, please note tho that we havent finished we ran out of time and putty this time round, the flares will cover any putty we poke in there, we still have to sand it back again and add some more putty to sooth it up some more :cheers:
P.S. Pics are coming :hpfredgeorge1::hpfredgeorge1:

Michelle
18th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Piccies :)

Michelle
18th October 2011, 03:17 PM
More piccies :)

Michelle
18th October 2011, 03:22 PM
All tucked in till next time

Michelle
18th October 2011, 03:24 PM
Now if I can work out how to post a movie I have some vidio of her runing just after we started her up

rkinsey
18th October 2011, 04:06 PM
Now if I can work out how to post a movie I have some vidio of her runing just after we started her up

Post it up to Youtube and then post the link to it here

Cheers,

Rob

Michelle
19th October 2011, 02:05 PM
Well vid will have to wait puter is running way to slow at the moment lol ...
Any way have a few small items I will be on the hunt for if any one can help PM me with a price and aprox postage to Horshan Vic 3400 that would be greatly appreciated

:Side mirror heads x2 in good cond (the ones on the parts car ended up being stuffed)

:Top tailgate outside handle in good cond (the plastic bit, both mine are broken) Inpossibale?

: 2 working gas struts for top tailgate To hard basket

:Working clutch master cylinder and maybe slave cylinder Orderd a master off ebay

No rush tho just thought Id put it out there and see whats about Cheers
Michelle

Michelle
20th October 2011, 11:18 AM
Does any one have any good tips on sticker removal?
Cheers

Finly Owner
21st October 2011, 12:08 AM
Any way have a few small items I will be on the hunt for if any one can help PM me with a price and aprox postage to Horshan Vic 3400 that would be greatly appreciated

:Side mirror heads x2 in good cond (the ones on the parts car ended up being stuffed) I'll see what I have

:Top tailgate outside handle in good cond (the plastic bit, both mine are broken) Good luck with that one, they are always broken

: 2 working gas struts for top tailgate I can get them I think $35 each

:Working clutch master cylinder and maybe slave cylinder -I have them

Michelle
Postage will be the killer, because of weight but I can quote it once I get it all together.

Tim

Michelle
21st October 2011, 11:50 AM
Postage will be the killer, because of weight but I can quote it once I get it all together.

Tim

Cheers Tim, Don't stress to much about the struts at tthis stage I should be able to get them later on, don't think a road worthy would get knocked back on that, I'm interested in the clutch cyilnders tho and will need mirror heads.
Thanks Michelle

patch697
21st October 2011, 06:00 PM

:Side mirror heads x2 in good cond (the ones on the parts car ended up being stuffed)

:Top tailgate outside handle in good cond (the plastic bit, both mine are broken)

: 2 working gas struts for top tailgate

:Working clutch master cylinder and maybe slave cylinder

Michelle

I know of one being wrecked out in Jeparit, I'll look into it & PM you if your interested.

patch697
21st October 2011, 06:03 PM
Cheers Tim, Don't stress to much about the struts at tthis stage I should be able to get them later on, don't think a road worthy would get knocked back on that, I'm interested in the clutch cyilnders tho and will need mirror heads.
Thanks Michelle

Depending on how well there stuck, I'd try leaving it in the sun on a hottish day & try peeling them off when the sun heats them up "or" you can try a heat gun. Just be careful not to burn the paint though.

Michelle
22nd October 2011, 12:24 AM
ok guys out at lonsdale camping so will reply or a pm when i get home to see how things are working out would love to deal local of possibale but dont wanna leave Tim hanging either

patch697
22nd October 2011, 12:36 AM
ok guys out at lonsdale camping so will reply o a pm when i get home to see how things are working out woyldd love to deal local of possibale but dont wanna leave Tim hanging either

They fixed the wall yet????

The Yabs ain't quite on the go yet but you should get a few good ones out of there & there pretty big too.

MQ MAD
22nd October 2011, 07:58 PM
Top rear tailgate struts are rarer than , well top tailgate struts
Hard to get goodies and probably just as cheap to get regassed
The plastic rear window handles, rarer than a 40 year old virgin
Clutch master cylinder $40-$50 on evilbay for a newie, why stuff around with a 2nd handie ???
Clutch slave cylinders arent much dearer , again buy new
Im surprised the ol diesel went , being so long not started, did you replace the fuel filters ???
If ya didnt , it would be high on the priority list
The old diesel can be a stinker if a tad of age ???

Michelle
24th October 2011, 08:44 AM
Back from camping got loads of yabbies and a great feed of reddies :D Paul dont know about the wall I mostly stay at camp with the kiddies and cook the yabbs are only going at night at the moment. Mad yes before we go any were to far in her there will be a new fuel filter go in along with new oil and oil filter and flush out the raidiator ect, will def check out ebay for clutch cyilenders if I can pick em up that cheap new lol thanks :) Heading back over on the weekend to do a little more work on the rust so I'll keep the updates coming. Cheers

Michelle
26th October 2011, 05:06 PM
Just picked up a new master clutch cylinder of ebay for $45 deliverd Cheep! :) I see there are mirror heads on there too that I'm looking for $40 new in black or chrome havent got those yet tho thought Id get the clutch soughted, change filters and oil, and flush out the cooling system first, but first things first I need to get rid of some bloody rust! (well just the major rust anyway for now) Then after all that maybe hopfully I can bring her home on a permit.

Finly Owner
26th October 2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry was bit busy last weekend. but can have a look this weekend for mirrors.

Tim

Michelle
27th October 2011, 11:23 AM
Cheers Tim, let me know if you do and what you might be wanting for them, I dont mind waiting Thanks.

Michelle
28th October 2011, 08:01 PM
Things you find under paint once you starting grinding :\

growler2058
28th October 2011, 08:04 PM
Ahhh the dreaded tin worm strikes again

Michelle
29th October 2011, 08:57 PM
After todays efforts

growler2058
29th October 2011, 08:59 PM
Well done Michelle comin along nicely

Michelle
31st October 2011, 07:55 AM
after yesterday, one side almost rust free :049:

nowoolies
31st October 2011, 10:05 AM
looking sweet Michelle
keep them piccies a comming

Michelle
31st October 2011, 01:22 PM
More piccies when I get home to my PC :-)

Michelle
1st November 2011, 02:27 PM
Piccies!! :) all this work done last weekend, by my self to the best of my abilaty and my first attemt at body work so some things may not be by the book but I'm happy with the outcome so far.

Michelle
1st November 2011, 02:33 PM
Just thougt I'd add the before and after shots so far :D

Mark S
1st November 2011, 02:52 PM
Looking good Michelle.....well done.

Michelle
1st November 2011, 05:01 PM
Has anyone got any good tips on corecting some slop in a drivers side door top hinge? All bolts are tight
Cheers

nowoolies
2nd November 2011, 05:56 AM
Just thougt I'd add the before and after shots so far :D

WOW it hardly looks the same bus ....well done
proberly best to get a new set of hinges ,not a great deal can be done with them when there worn out
and it`s the most used door on the bus

Michelle
2nd November 2011, 05:08 PM
Lets if this works

http://youtu.be/JWmOj_Esua8

and this one

Finly Owner
2nd November 2011, 11:22 PM
Has anyone got any good tips on corecting some slop in a drivers side door top hinge? All bolts are tight
CheersPM Ferret and ask him if he can try to improve your old one, but, he has ssaid to me that it can be hard if they have to much wear.

Tim
I'll add this to the list of thing to check for in my spares.

Silver
3rd November 2011, 12:07 AM
Nice work Michelle.

Finly Owner
3rd November 2011, 12:15 AM
yep sounds like a deisel! Looks like you got slave cylinder on.

Tim

Clunk
3rd November 2011, 12:17 AM
restoration job is coming along nicely there Michelle, great stuff

Michelle
3rd November 2011, 10:15 AM
yep sounds like a deisel! Looks like you got slave cylinder on.

Tim

The vid was taken a few weeks back Im still waiting for my cylinder to arrive in the post, have given the engin bay a good clean since the vid was taken and hope to get the new master cylinder fitted next trip to the farm :)

Michelle
3rd November 2011, 10:19 AM
PM Ferret and ask him if he can try to improve your old one, but, he has ssaid to me that it can be hard if they have to much wear.

Tim
I'll add this to the list of thing to check for in my spares.

Thanks Tim I have already been in contact with Ferret and got a quote, will be something to add to the list I think got some more things to get thru first, but if I can get a second hand one in better nick that would be a help Cheers

Michelle
3rd November 2011, 10:57 AM
Well after just 2 long weekends of work Im already getting keen to get back over to the farm for a 3rd :) really wanna get stuck into the other side now, but with the 2 little kiddlets down sick with the flu prob wont be this weekend :(

timbar
3rd November 2011, 02:23 PM
coming along nicely Michelle looking good

Michelle
7th November 2011, 10:10 AM
Thinking of heading back to the farm this weekend coming, and doing some more on the old troll :) better make my self a shopping list lol :D

nowoolies
7th November 2011, 10:15 AM
wont be long before the bus looks like a new one

Michelle
7th November 2011, 11:15 AM
Lol dunno about new but maybe pass a road worthy and I'll be able to take her camping toeing the camper :D I'v seen some nice looking resto's since i started to reserch for this, mine won't even get close to some of those, but was never my intention to make a show pony out of her, just make her look respectable and feel a little loved again :D .I have to say tho I'm really enjoying the chalange of it all even if things are only done to the best of my limeted knolage
Cheers

the ferret
7th November 2011, 12:26 PM
Well I take my hat off to you Michelle, ya doin a great job and you are passionate, that's the important bit.
Cheers, the ferret.

Michelle
7th November 2011, 02:58 PM
Yay! My master cylinder just arived now I just hope I orderd the right one lol and I hope I can fit it my self with out too much troubles

YNOT
7th November 2011, 03:18 PM
Fitting it will be easy (assuming it's the right one) but bleeding it will be difficult on your own.
You will need a good quality pipe spanner (like a ring spanner with a small section cut out so it can fit over a pipe) or a set of vice grips.

The car's coming along nicely, you're doing a great job so far.

Tony

the ferret
7th November 2011, 03:37 PM
Michelle, when you are bleeding the clutch, only push it in halfway mate, no need to go to the floor with the pedal.
Try and bleed the master cylinder on the bench before fitting, best with two people too and don't let it run low on fluid while bleeding.
Cheers, the ferret.

Michelle
14th November 2011, 07:35 PM
More piccies to come, just got home :D time for a beer :trink13: Think I earned it lol

Silver
14th November 2011, 08:02 PM
very impressive, you've made a big difference!

YNOT
14th November 2011, 08:31 PM
I think you deserve more than one beer, you're doing a great job Michelle.

Tony

Michelle
15th November 2011, 11:26 AM
Ok here come the piccies ther are a few so could take a while lol

Michelle
15th November 2011, 11:47 AM
Got the console in tho it needs a paint, and got the back seat folding again with the help of WD40 :)
Then made a start on the body work again

Michelle
15th November 2011, 12:10 PM
more piccies, You will notice with the door that I have only done what I can. it was way too far gone and I will replace this one when I can

Michelle
15th November 2011, 12:19 PM
this is the before shot from early in the thed

growler2058
15th November 2011, 01:05 PM
Coming up a treat michelle good onya

Mazodude
15th November 2011, 01:58 PM
It's starting to look like one mean truck :D

Michelle
17th November 2011, 09:43 PM
Again thanks for all the positive feed back I know now I may have made a few mistakes, but hey I will learn for next time and if I have to do a few things again after the RW check then so be it, or evan after well, gives me something to do other than chace kids around all day lol and i'm still enjoying it :D. Cheers
Michelle

Michelle
17th November 2011, 10:03 PM
So last time I was at the farm I took a lot more notice since readind some of the manual, any way found this as I looked thru the grill on the passanger side of the radeator, cut and weld or grind and weld advice please Cheers
Michelle

Finly Owner
17th November 2011, 11:13 PM
Grind and weld Michelle, It doesn't need totally removal. And if you haven't already, buy some chemical rust converter, once ground and welded, paint on some converter to nuetralise the rust. Ready to paint once dry.

Tim

Michelle
18th November 2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks Tim got plenty of converter going thru it by the bucket full lol :)

Michelle
23rd November 2011, 02:23 PM
So thinking of heading to the farm on the weekend weather pending, might finnish off some of the smaller unfinnished body work, then pull off the rear wheels, wire brush of all the peeling paint under the wheel arches, re prime and paint under there. While I have the rims of might even clean them up and give them a fresh coat of paint too :)

growler2058
23rd November 2011, 04:18 PM
Sounds good just go harder and faster so we can see more piccies ahahahhahahahahahaa ;-)

Michelle
23rd November 2011, 05:57 PM
Lol would love to go faster but she is in a shed 2 hours from me :( hope to bring her home soon just gotta do a bit more yet while she's still in a shed, I won't have her in a shed once she gets here so I wanna leave her there as long as possibale

Michelle
25th November 2011, 12:31 AM
So got the lil VT cut and pollished today cos it was feeling neglected, :) but I got a Feeling it will rain this weekend just cos I don't want it to... Then I can't go viset the patrol cos Nana Fay would kick my butt if i cut up her drive getting to her :(

Silver
25th November 2011, 01:05 AM
Nannas can be tolerant, but they do have their limits!

Papayankee
1st December 2011, 04:11 PM
Hello Michelle..I just got connected and came across this restoration thread...your MQ is coming very nicely..I just got the same MQ but still in a poor state..I'm amazed at he speed you are restoring it..Can't wait to see more pics of your restoration to the end..may be by then I'll give me a kickstart to follow...

Michelle
6th December 2011, 01:07 PM
Well Things have come to a bit of a stand still with christmas just aroun the corner, but I did get over to Bendigo on the weekend to my brothers, where the parts car is and we striped off any thing I didnt have or that was in better cond than mine, decided that the bonnet was better than mine so we ripped that off, the doors had same rust to mine, pulled out an air con just dont ave a copresser for it yet but maybe down the track I'll pick one up, got some interior parts and a few rubbers that looked in no to bad cond.
So not a bad weekend oh and drank plenty of beer lol :D

growler2058
6th December 2011, 09:21 PM
Beer is the most important ingredient of any resto from house to car well done:-)

Michelle
7th December 2011, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know the color code and name to my smurf blue trol my compliance plate with those detailes is a little hard to read, or any thing close to that Cheers

patch697
7th December 2011, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know the color code and name to my smurf blue trol my compliance plate with those detailes is a little hard to read, or any thing close to that Cheers

Take something painted & removable from the inside into Repco in Horshom, they can colour match.

Michelle
14th December 2011, 12:33 PM
Thought I'd add some piccies of the parts truck just cos I have'nt done mutch lately, I will strip every thing I need then she will be up for grabbs for any one that might want whats left :)

Finly Owner
14th December 2011, 11:28 PM
If you weren.t so far away those original wheels I would put my hand up for

Tim

Michelle
20th December 2011, 01:14 PM
If you weren.t so far away those original wheels I would put my hand up for

Tim

lol I didn't even realise they were anything special apart from being split rims, what do you think they would be worth with out the rubber on em Tim? Any extra cash I can make off the left overs will come in handy, just sold the gear knobs to someone who was excited to find a set in good cond lol

Sir Roofy
22nd December 2011, 07:59 AM
Your little project is comming along nicely

wildgu6
22nd December 2011, 09:52 AM
The little beast is comming up a treat Michelle, Nice work.
Cant wait for the finnished product, You should be happy with the progress, well done

Michelle
22nd December 2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah I can't wait to drive her around and test out what she can do, allready looking forward to the day I can toe our camper out to the lake and set up on a friday before hubby knocks off work, cos ya gotta get the good camp sights ;) oh yeah and setting up in the dark can suck lol.
Cheers Guys, and hope every one has a great Chrissy! Stay safe
Michelle

Michelle
10th January 2012, 10:57 AM
Well the weather is at a nice cool temp for the rest of the week might just go over to the farm tomorrow and pick up were i left off, :) wanna get the oil and filter changes done, flush and coolant change and have a go at the master clutch cylinder myself (got sick of waiting for the hubbys help, so I will do it my self lol) and He is getting his new toy this week (Quintrex boat with all the bells and whistles) so my little troll will be not on his mind at the min :( Well maybe since he is spending so much money on a boat he can splash out and buy me a couple of batterys ;) Haha

Michelle
16th January 2012, 10:26 AM
Well been at the farm since wednsday arvo, and chucked some batterys in and canged oil, filters, fulshed radiator and new coolant, Fitted new master cluch cylinder (under the supervision of my brother) and went for a drive clutch prob now fixed :D Then I replaced the top tailgate latch (works like a new one ;) Attatched mirror arms and new heads, Pulled off the wheels and wire brushed wheel arches and rims and gave the wheel arches a coat of sealer and the rims a fresh coat of paint, also fixed any rust as I went except for the great big bloody hole in the drivers floor :( Grrrr.... Cut of the ugly bent up toe bar and finnishe of my touch ups. Piccies to follow :D
P.S any advice on this drivers sid floor would be welcome too Cheers

Michelle
16th January 2012, 10:36 AM
Piccies...

Michelle
16th January 2012, 10:43 AM
So found a few more jobs to do while I was going, need to fix the rust hole in floor, Chassies were the toe bar mounts needs bending back and welding, and i am also on the look out for a replacement thermo housing (I think that is what it is called) Mine is badly caroded at the end where the hose atatches tho it is sealing for now I will replace it if I can

growler2058
16th January 2012, 11:42 AM
Good job its comin on reeeeel nice ay. With ol holdens and the like ya can buy replacement floor pans from rare spares dunno if someone does em for patrols

GUtsy ute
16th January 2012, 11:44 AM
Coming along nicely, Michelle,
You've done a top job!!

It's the twin of the one my brother had, he bought it new.

Michelle
17th January 2012, 10:06 AM
Well finaly convinced my hubby that I not messing around with this project, and I will see it thru to the end and he has agreed to organise a car trailer and we are going to pick her up this weekend!! Woop Woop!! Sorry just a tad excided I better clear a spot in the back yard lol :icon_victory:

growler2058
17th January 2012, 11:27 AM
Good onya Michelle

Mazodude
17th January 2012, 12:21 PM
finally coming home :D

Michelle
20th January 2012, 09:44 AM
What I'v got done this week inbetween kids and the heat,

growler2058
20th January 2012, 09:49 AM
Well done can't wait to see it in action and all muddy :-)

rusty_nail
20th January 2012, 10:31 AM
What I'v got done this week inbetween kids and the heat,

are you coming to the loveday meetup? would be good to check out your rig, it will be unstoppable when finished!

Michelle
20th January 2012, 11:19 AM
Lol havent even thought about that stuff yet gotta get her on the road first, a few things to cross off the list first the biggest 2 are the rust in drivers side floor and money ;)

rusty_nail
20th January 2012, 11:26 AM
Lol havent even thought about that stuff yet gotta get her on the road first, a few things to cross off the list first the biggest 2 are the rust in drivers side floor and money ;)

lol yup i know exactly what u mean. damm money! haha, im in the process of painting my car and money is the only thing stopping me doing it nowand im getting it done cheap by a mate, prob gonna cost 2k all up =D

Michelle
20th January 2012, 11:40 AM
So I thought I'd sit down and make a rough list of jobs I have yet to do:

Strip out interior and find and fix any remaining rust, then refit
Fit replacement bonnett,
New shock rubbers and spring bushes,
Get wiring soughted and all lights ect working
Replace thermo housing and new thermostat,
Fix /replace window washer motor,
Fix hole in d side floor,
Fix toe bar mounts and fit replacement bar,
Replace grease nipples, ect ect
Replase windscreen and rubber,
Get second hand tyres fitted,
get a jack
Hopfully at this point I can get the RWC,
Bullbar,
Tyre carrier
Respray
Well tats all i can think of at the min I's sure I'll find more as I go lol

rusty_nail
20th January 2012, 11:51 AM
So I thought I'd sit down and make a rough list of jobs I have yet to do:

Strip out interior and find and fix any remaining rust, then refit
Fit replacement bonnett,
New shock rubbers and spring bushes,
Get wiring soughted and all lights ect working
Replace thermo housing and new thermostat,
Fix /replace window washer motor,
Fix hole in d side floor,
Fix toe bar mounts and fit replacement bar,
Replace grease nipples, ect ect
Replase windscreen and rubber,
Get second hand tyres fitted,
get a jack
Hopfully at this point I can get the RWC,
Bullbar,
Tyre carrier
Respray
Well tats all i can think of at the min I's sure I'll find more as I go lol

well at least alotta those things are not very expensive, all the rubbers, seals and nipples shouldnt cost too much, they are just time consuming. all that rust is gonna be a pain for you tho, but hey you knew what you were getting yourself into before you started. the elec stuff shouldnt be hard, fairly old car, fairly simple system, if you need any ideas, or help with the process, im sure i can lend some knowledge, just give us a bell!

Michelle
21st January 2012, 10:33 PM
Well at last she is home, first time of the farm on 20 years!! lol altho on a trailer, so first thing on the list to do was som contemplating wich required some heavy dutie contemplation fluid :Yahoo!::1062:

Michelle
22nd January 2012, 12:57 PM
Well today I have started removing seats and floor coverings cleaning out half a paddock of dirt and looking for rust found a few small spots and a larger one (will post piccies later) and found a few stubourm bolts that just wont come out but we will work around that for now

growler2058
22nd January 2012, 01:24 PM
Well today I have started removing seats and floor coverings cleaning out half a paddock of dirt and looking for rust found a few small spots and a larger one (will post piccies later) and found a few stubourm bolts that just wont come out but we will work around that for now

Soak em in wd40 rp7 lanosil or diesel Michelle that should free em up. Glad ya got the ol troll home she'll be up n about in no time now

Michelle
22nd January 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah soaked em over night some look like they have been cross threded or something cos they are stuffed but will run a tap die thingy thru the nut and get new bolts I think.
Got some piccis will start with the flap wheel when it cools down

Sir Roofy
22nd January 2012, 06:23 PM
wont be long now mate be able to cut back and spray paint

Michelle
22nd January 2012, 06:42 PM
Hmmm looks like the replacement seat belts I got are not the same as the ones already fitted :eek: might have to look into that more when Im puttin her back together that would be my booboo :frown:

Michelle
23rd January 2012, 11:39 AM
got some grinding done this morning before it gets too hot, slow but getting the jobs done,

growler2058
23rd January 2012, 12:02 PM
Howd ya go with the bolts Michelle? Another way if you got oxy aceteylene if not a good butane torch from bunnings etc. Heat the bolt up and then either quench with cold water or you can get a freeze spray from auto shops, some times this will crack em just enough

Michelle
23rd January 2012, 12:17 PM
Got the ones I needed to get out, the two in the front seats I ended up pulling the seats apart and left the ones there one side spins but doesnt go any were and the other side one some one has had a go at it before with a cole chisle and hammer by the looks and totally buggerd the top lol but its all good im working around it for now :)

Michelle
23rd January 2012, 01:39 PM
Got some covers from super crap for $5 so made em fit my dickie seat, and now I am going inside cos its bloody hot in that sun lol :p

Finly Owner
29th January 2012, 02:08 AM
coming along Michelle

Tim

Michelle
30th January 2012, 12:11 PM
Well taking advantage of the cooler weather and finnishing a few jobs off, got the sound deadener painted on in the back and readt to refit the seats once I tap out the bolt holes, man that body deadener is thick sticky crap, I painted the wheel arches thick then thined it up abit using turps

Sir Roofy
30th January 2012, 12:41 PM
looking good mate what you reckon xmas time be on the road

Michelle
30th January 2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah hope so lol :D

Blackjack
30th January 2012, 03:19 PM
Good stuff Michelle, I just found this thread and had a ball reading right thru' it,
I admire you're tenacity,
I have an 84 MQ/MK and just love it to death, My wife tried to talk me into buying something newer but I stuck to my guns and am glad I did. All the blood sweat and beers you have put into her will only make you love her more. I know a lot of blokes who when confronted with what you have would throw their hands in the air and walk away. Good luck with the last of it.
cheers Blackjack

Michelle
31st January 2012, 05:48 PM
got vinal back in and seats with new covers on, I hope to one day put some marine carpet in but for now the old stuff goes back in, next I hope to get some new ply board or sorts and make new side pannels for inside the tub, just to tidy it up a bit more :)

rusty_nail
31st January 2012, 06:11 PM
looking amazing!

Michelle
2nd February 2012, 03:27 PM
Well been a little bussy making tomato sause for the hubby thease last few days, but I have given the console a light sand, prime and a paint, kinda looks a little too shiny for the old girl but I'm sure the kids can scuff it up for me lol
Also sat the kiddies seats in and had a think about ankor points

Silver
2nd February 2012, 09:38 PM
Wow! what a transformation!

Michelle
3rd February 2012, 10:10 PM
After todays efforts

growler2058
3rd February 2012, 10:51 PM
Very nice Michelle good job

Clunk
4th February 2012, 12:19 AM
fantastic effort Michelle, coming along very nicely

Blackjack
4th February 2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Michelle I see you have the same "option" that I have for holding up the tailgate, A stick is a good thing:)

Michelle
5th February 2012, 12:32 PM
Lol an old broom handle works a treat ;)

Michelle
6th February 2012, 04:54 PM
Some piccies of todays work, and the last one is a pic of what happens when a stubourn, impatient woman has to put the bonet on by her self!! :oops: Well that can be first on tomorrows job list : Fix my f*@k ups!

Sir Roofy
6th February 2012, 04:58 PM
Stress less mate its comming together fine

rusty_nail
6th February 2012, 04:58 PM
looks like you got a bitta rust to cut out there! looking great! are you keeping the original colours? i wish i had as much time as you do to fiddle with toys!

taslucas
6th February 2012, 04:59 PM
Coming along really well Michelle, nice work. Not a light bonnet to be putting on solo either!

Michelle
6th February 2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys, yeah will give the whole car will get a respray in the origanl smurfe blue when I get the $$, for now untill then she will stay 2 tone blue lol, rust is almost done take a look at what I started with hehe, the rust is under that little ledge thingy whats on top was red dirt the air compresser soughted that out in a jiffy :) then I just got out the little grinder with the wire brush on and got rid of some old bog, wasnt as bad as it looked once I got all that bog out.

rusty_nail
6th February 2012, 06:52 PM
nice one keep up the awesome work!!!

Michelle
7th February 2012, 03:53 PM
Just had a tidy up loose ends day today, got yesterdays booboo soughted, lined up the bonet fixed bonet catch, fixed kockeyed drivers side door, did a final sand and paint on some bog in the door and a little pinstripe removal

growler2058
7th February 2012, 06:12 PM
Foters??? :-) ehhehehehe

Michelle
8th February 2012, 12:39 PM
piccies of drivers door, decided to just respray the whole door since alot of paint came off with the pinstripes, not 100% happy with the result but since one day she will get a whole respray (and maybe a few new doors... one day :rolleyes: ) I will live with it for now lol

Sir Roofy
8th February 2012, 02:11 PM
piccies of drivers door, decided to just respray the whole door since alot of paint came off with the pinstripes, not 100% happy with the result but since one day she will get a whole respray (and maybe a few new doors... one day :rolleyes: ) I will live with it for now lol

yep xmas time i reckon comming along nicely

Michelle
8th February 2012, 06:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got brave and started to cut a hole in the floor but then Bam! The little grinda shat its self so this is all i got done

growler2058
8th February 2012, 10:15 PM
Bumma down to the hardware tomorrow ay ;-)

tinkerer
9th February 2012, 01:19 AM
Michelle,
I have read the entire thread and am very very impressed with the way you have tackled everything on the jeep with enthusiasm and gusto. I have some rust on my GQ and I have been scratching my head thinking about starting but after reading the thread, I am ready to roll my sleeves up and get cutting this weekend.... Thanks Michelle.. Good luck with the Smurf, I'll be watching with interest..
Stephen.

Michelle
11th February 2012, 05:59 PM
Got the hubby to take a look at a few wireing probs today, fixed the horn, and found out I need replacement front indercators, (ebay) flasher cans and i need to replace washer bottle and pump hope to rob those of my parts car, we also need to find a fault i the rear pas side wireing somewere as the new tail lights dont work

Silver
11th February 2012, 06:03 PM
very impressive progress!

Michelle
12th February 2012, 03:20 PM
Just finishing off some smaller jobs

Woof
12th February 2012, 04:03 PM
Coming along very nicely indeed, well done

thomas.h
17th February 2012, 03:55 PM
when i got mine registered they are legal to seat 4 in qld so the rear seat can be used with the booster seats with no problems they come with factory fitted seatbelts in the seat and aftermarket retractable arent hard to install, good luck with it

Michelle
20th February 2012, 02:37 PM
well things have slowed dowen due to the $$ issue and the fact that I need to make a trip to Bendigo to get some parts of the parts truck but hopfully over the next few weeks i'll get moving again :)

Sir Roofy
20th February 2012, 04:12 PM
well things have slowed dowen due to the $$ issue and the fact that i need to make a trip to bendigo to get some parts of the parts truck but hopfully over the next few weeks i'll get moving again :)

lol mate we all get that problem ,right now im saving for new tyres

Oversize
26th February 2012, 08:12 AM
lol mate we all get that problem ,right now im saving for new tyres

mmmm, just got to pay for my rebuilt engine before I can even think about new tyres. Doin' the rest of it myself too, great to see another chick with a grinder, did you get it going or buy a new one.

Your lookin' good Michelle.
Cheers from Louise

Michelle
1st March 2012, 04:29 PM
Lol @ louise, nah pinched the hubbys 5 inch but then had to go get new wire brush, flap wheel and cutting disks as the 4 inch ones did'nt fit :p haha funfun

taslucas
1st March 2012, 06:27 PM
Lol @ louise, nah pinched the hubbys 5 inch but then had to go get new wire brush, flap wheel and cutting disks as the 4 inch ones did'nt fit :p haha funfun

Ouch, I bet your hubby jumped when ya pinched him on the 5 inch!!! Lmao
Always good reading your thread Michelle:-)

Lucas

rusty_nail
1st March 2012, 09:18 PM

Lucas

you quick lucas haha good one buddy

Michelle
2nd March 2012, 12:57 PM

Lucas

Hahaha was wondering how long it would take to bite on that one ;p

Michelle
2nd March 2012, 01:01 PM
Well I better do an update, Got the replacement washer bottle and pump fitted works :D got new front indercaters of ebay fitted and working, fitted all new 24 volt globes all round, and been climbing around under neath getting rid of caked on mud and grease ect, and painting with chassy black as I go dirty job that one

Michelle
4th March 2012, 12:09 AM

rusty_nail
30th April 2012, 12:18 PM
hey michelle, its been a while since ive seen ya post in here and i was wondering how your resto was going? i hope all is going well mate!

Michelle
8th May 2012, 10:27 AM
yep im still about, just been on holidays ad my puter has died but still plodding along ill see if i can upload a few pics from my phone

Michelle
9th May 2012, 09:38 AM
think i worked out how tk post piccies from my phone :) not 100% happh with pait job but maybe im getting to fussy

Michelle
9th May 2012, 09:40 AM
and the dints well ive pushed em out afew times but they just pop back in lol

growler2058
9th May 2012, 09:46 AM
That's lookn real good Michelle and the little fella looks stoked as well

Tappin N Crappin

rusty_nail
9th May 2012, 09:46 AM
its looking nice mate! shes come along way from what shes started as!!!

Sir Roofy
9th May 2012, 10:14 AM
what a difference a bit of tender care can do
well done michelle keep up the good work

Michelle
9th May 2012, 01:07 PM
spent the morning trying to get the bolts out to remove canopy but those little buggers are a pain in the butt to get out!! got 4 out of the 18 :( and stuffed a few too

Michelle
10th May 2012, 10:37 AM
Had a go at getting those canopy screws out yesterday, yeah got 4 out!! Blood pain in thde bum to get loose, any one changed the screws for bolts? Has to be a better option there? Any way, shagged out a few screw heads and one of the nuts must have let go cos all it does is spin before I buggerd my T30 tool Grrr :mad:

Michelle
10th May 2012, 10:44 AM
So got my puter up and running again :D yay! for now lol any way here are som up dated piccies:

Michelle
10th May 2012, 10:51 AM
hmmm some were along the line I have lost the abilaty to resize my pics before up loading via right clicking on them can any one help pls ??

nissannewby
10th May 2012, 12:09 PM
If you select to many pics at once it wont let you do it. Or does it only do it when selecting one photo?

Michelle
10th May 2012, 05:17 PM
yeah nothing happens when I press upload with just one either :( have done it before dont know what im doing rong lol

growler2058
10th May 2012, 05:54 PM
Hey michelle ya can either go and download photosizer and that lets ya change the size to whatever ya want or open a photo bucket account which is free download your pics there whatever size doesnt matter and then copy the url to your post and that gives big pics like this
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/GrowlersGQ/FORUM%20MEETUP/AgathaFlexinit.jpg

growler2058
10th May 2012, 05:58 PM
Im only gunna use photobucket now because you dont need to change anything at all. Once you upload your pics there (and they have a bulk upload option as well so you can do 100's at once if ya want) just hover over the photo and a box drops down left click on img code and it says copied then right click in your post click paste then a code comes uo click post reply and wallah you got BIG pics no mess no fuss

Michelle
10th May 2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks think I had the photosizer last time might give both a go Cheers :)

Finly Owner
10th May 2012, 10:47 PM
Old MK is looking good Michelle. Last canopy I took off, bolts come out relatively easy, some resistance, but ok.

Tim

Michelle
11th May 2012, 09:59 AM
yeah ill keep plodding at it but I gotta go get a new tool since i stuffed it lol, hope i done keep stuffing them since supercrap only sells them i sets lol ill end up with a crap load of them tools and no T30's lol

Finly Owner
11th May 2012, 09:55 PM
yeah ill keep plodding at it but I gotta go get a new tool since i stuffed it lol, hope i done keep stuffing them since supercrap only sells them i sets lol ill end up with a crap load of them tools and no T30's lol Go to Autobarn and buy a T30 socket type single made by Kinchrome. You'll pay about $13-$18 for it, but will last whole job.

Tim

Michelle
15th May 2012, 09:49 AM
Well what a differance the right tool for the job makes lol got most of those screws out :) gunna have to grind the last 3-4 off tho

Michelle
15th May 2012, 04:06 PM
lets see if this works??http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040384.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040386.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040408.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040377.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040374.jpg

Michelle
15th May 2012, 05:23 PM
well ill stickto the phone piccies for now lol

Sir Roofy
15th May 2012, 09:32 PM
lets see if this works?? http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040386.jpg

looking good mate

Sir Roofy
15th May 2012, 09:35 PM
well ill stickto the phone piccies for now lol

mmmmmmmm more cancer but its all comming together just nice
keep up the good work mate dont dispair about it

Finly Owner
15th May 2012, 10:25 PM
You're gettin there girl! Now for the Roll bar and Spotties on top! Did ya buy the socket type I suggested?.

Rust just keeps you alive Aye?

Tim

Michelle
15th May 2012, 10:29 PM
You're gettin there girl! Now for the Roll bar and Spotties on top! Did ya buy the socket type I suggested?.

Rust just keeps you alive Aye?

Tim

yeah got the tool workd a treat thanks for the tip :)

Finly Owner
15th May 2012, 10:45 PM
This ol guy says you are welcome. Glad I was able to help someone, makes it sweeter that it's a lady who loves her MQ.

Tim

Michelle
16th May 2012, 09:21 AM
well it was dark last night when hubby got home so i didnt get a hand to lift the canopy off, ill try slide it of my self later today and try not to damage any thing :\

Michelle
16th May 2012, 02:10 PM
got me top off :) tho i took a big chunk out doing it by my self :(

Michelle
16th May 2012, 02:17 PM
piccies ........... :D

growler2058
16th May 2012, 02:53 PM
WOW makes a very cool lookin lil ute!!

Michelle
16th May 2012, 03:04 PM
I know pitty the top is going back on but will need it there for the kids in the back at this stage, but down the track who knows lol. Just jumped back thru a few of my first piccies Wow what a diferance!!

growler2058
16th May 2012, 03:12 PM
Youve definately ressurected the ol girl Michelle its a credit to you. The kids will love it. You could even get a soft top made for it down the track thats a bit more user friendly to remove. Would be awesome down the beach on fishing trips....or anywhere

aussiemale
16th May 2012, 06:20 PM
Looks good Michelle, long way from the 1st post

Michelle
17th May 2012, 11:09 AM
So after thinking about the paint job on my ol girl im thinking I should prob do this sooner rather than later, while the canopy is off and all the rest, whent in to super crap thismorning and picked up a spraygun and got a price from repco on 3 liters of acrylic paint, $120 is this good? or I could just go ford blue from super crap but may not be light enough dont wanna change the couler too much since it will just be a basic respray

Black Rock
21st May 2012, 10:40 AM
Your work is really inspiring for all of us. Keep it up. :driving2:

aussiemale
21st May 2012, 05:26 PM
Not much of a guru with paint (actually, not much of a guru with anything MQ/MK yet except how to skin my knuckles professionally) however how far back are you going to sand her, down to metal? If so I'm pretty sure you'd need more than 3 ltrs (excluding the primer).
When I get to the stage of painting the tank (in about..i dunno..2yrs LOL) I've offered a local panel beater a slab of piss if he got the paint for me at his cost which he's looking at it he's being given a slab of piss for doing nothing.
Most garages/panelbeaters etc are open to barter, all you need to do is ask :-)
Unless you've got a contact/account with REPCO they revert to RIPCO.

Bryan

Michelle
22nd May 2012, 10:29 AM
yeah Bryan I'm not going back to metal, just a light sand and a respray something easy lol she only gunna be a bush basher ;) just wanna make her look respectable

aussiemale
22nd May 2012, 05:26 PM
Respectable?? MQ?? Trying to picture me rocking up to an Opera with my MQ and brain hurting!!

Michelle
25th May 2012, 11:36 AM
Bugger! had an inch of rain and the tarp i had over my ol girl leaked grrr..............

nissannewby
25th May 2012, 02:11 PM
Respectable?? MQ?? Trying to picture me rocking up to an Opera with my MQ and brain hurting!!

It is possible my GQ was used as a formal car :)

aussiemale
25th May 2012, 05:34 PM
Bugger! had an inch of rain and the tarp i had over my ol girl leaked grrr..............

OMG!!! Your MQ got wet!!! HAHAHAHAHA

MQ MAD
25th May 2012, 06:06 PM
yeah Bryan I'm not going back to metal, just a light sand and a respray something easy lol she only gunna be a bush basher ;) just wanna make her look respectable

A quick rub back, some light body repairs , itll be good
Acrylic will react with enamel, but enamel wont react with acrylic, just a little tip
If in doubt and your not sure whats on there, go to a proper paint shop (supercrap only good for name brand stuff) and you can buy like a primer to cover enamel that then the acrylic top coat wont react
If your doin a quick respray , same paint type,usually a quick rub down , fix any inferfections, prime those, but generally a same colour respray doesnt get a full primer coat, just squirt it on , after prep work of course

Michelle
25th May 2012, 06:39 PM
lol wet yes but the top was off so all the interior is soggy too thats the down side, Mad I think the tail gate is enamel since it blisterd with the last lot of work I did to it will have to some thing there with the primer thans for the tip, but the rest will be done with acrylic

MudRunnerTD
25th May 2012, 07:37 PM
Wow Michelle!

Mate i have to say i had my doubts when you first rolled the MQ out of the paddock and posted the pics, i think i tried to encourage you to rethink your plan and find another project but WOW!! You Go Girl!!! its looking awesome

Well done.

Michelle
25th May 2012, 07:48 PM
Wow Michelle!

Mate i have to say i had my doubts when you first rolled the MQ out of the paddock and posted the pics, i think i tried to encourage you to rethink your plan and find another project but WOW!! You Go Girl!!! its looking awesome

Well done.

Thanks, I don't get alot of encouragement (spelling) from the hubby, and do alot by my self when I should have a hand, but it seems to be paying off, I'm happy with the progress no matter who may laugh at me for thinking I have no chance of getting her on the road, but my old pop , I think he would be proud of my stubburness and will to finnish what I started, I can now see the light lol, and can't wait to drive her down the road and hold my head up high as I do. :)

aussiemale
27th May 2012, 06:22 PM
As you can see from my build progress Michelle, you'll have wait in line to be laughed at LOL. I am at least a year from even thinking about getting it on the road, more like 2. All I've got to work with is one basic socket set, screwdriver set, and a cheapo supercrap grinder (you know..the one that you keep taking back to get a new one under warranty LOL). Have absolute no panel work skills, mech skills..so my build will be fun

Michelle
27th May 2012, 09:19 PM
Got some parts of my parts car on the weekend so will be able to swap out the muffler and take another look at my rusty floor :)

aussiemale
27th May 2012, 09:34 PM
Remember to take pics mate

Michelle
28th May 2012, 03:58 PM
ok so the floor pan as I found it:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12204&d=1327293659
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12206&d=1327293659
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12205&d=1327293659
what I have done so far:
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040430.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040428.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040431.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040432.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040433.jpg
Piece cut of parts car:
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040425.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t493/gur84mtj/P1040429.jpg
No idea what I'm doing but ...... Meh!

aussiemale
28th May 2012, 05:01 PM
So you cutting with a grinder (my 2nd favourite tool) or going upmarket on me with oxy etc. You going to do your own welding etc or going to call a friend? If you're doing it yourself please take pics..I'm a big believer of the blind leading the blind.

Michelle
28th May 2012, 06:17 PM
So you cutting with a grinder (my 2nd favourite tool) or going upmarket on me with oxy etc. You going to do your own welding etc or going to call a friend? If you're doing it yourself please take pics..I'm a big believer of the blind leading the blind.
Yeah useing the 5 inch had to take off the gard to get into the corners tho and be carfull of those lines under the floor lol, i knicked some of the wireing for the tail lights but that I can fix, I dont own a welder so will be loading her up onto a trailer and getting a mate who welds for a living to do it for me, I rekon a slab one weekend will take care of that. :)
I'll take piccies tho as we go but getting my hubby motervated to help organise a car trailer is the hardest part :p

growler2058
28th May 2012, 06:25 PM
Good job Michelle and love the big piccies ;-)

Clunk
28th May 2012, 06:30 PM
Excellent work Michelle, can't believe how far yiuve got since that first pic in the paddock

Bigcol
28th May 2012, 10:06 PM
what a fantastic effort Michelle
I take my hat off to you for your perseverance. incredible buildup. keep it going its great

MQ MAD
29th May 2012, 12:19 PM

Grinder is the go, dont touch an oxy,too much heat,major panel distortion,and with fuel lines around the front floor area, itll be dangerous

Michelle,
Doin well,your givin me motorvation to do something with a shorty sitting here doin nothin
But the minister is getting annoyed theres more comin in the yard than what leaves

Finly Owner
30th May 2012, 11:23 PM
Michelle you are truly an inspiration to both men and women, who are, have been and and are still to be members/visitors of his forum.

You have shown with belief in yourself, you can do what most say can't be done.

Stand Tall, Be Proud, and Raise a Toast to Yourself!

Great Build I'm proud of you, and one day hope to meet you in person, and go for ride in YOUR Patrol.

Tim

aussiemale
4th June 2012, 04:34 PM
Keep up the good work and pics, gives me hope that I may finish my project LOL. Thank god there's heaps of advice and inspiration (you fall under the latter ;-) ) on here

Michelle
19th June 2012, 03:37 PM
Ok so I know this has prob been discussed before but i have just chucked in some batteries and started her up for the first time in a long while, no on start she blowes the white smoke that im not worried about as it clears and i need to put in some new glow plugs I think but at an idle its fine give her a few revs and the smoke comes out a dark grey or (blue if you like) rev the crapper out of her and the smoke fills the back yard not sure what to think never noticed it before, it was rebuilt years ago and only done about 5000k's or less befor sitting for years, will the glow plugs help? or maybe its the old deisel? worried now, and hubby is laughing at me saying its a box of **** :( breaking my heart

aussiemale
19th June 2012, 06:45 PM
1st up...Don't you DARE quit!!!!
2nd, heaps of guys here can help out which they will!!
Seeing all the work you've done, and the advice all the gurus have given to you is what has given me the confidence to do my project myself.

nissannewby
19th June 2012, 07:00 PM
It probably needs a good to run you may have to reco your injectors if she has been sitting for an extended period. I would certainly be changing your filters (engine and fuel), a nice fresh tank of diesel and some new oil give her a nice little run around the yard and see how she goes.

growler2058
19th June 2012, 07:39 PM
As above injectors

Tapp tillya Crap

1nertia
19th June 2012, 08:19 PM
Reckon you'll open a body repair shop after you're done with your current project? you have more skills that half the smashies I know!

Keep up the good work, I wish I had half the guts to do less to my GQ.

Finly Owner
19th June 2012, 10:47 PM
Michelle, love, don't dispair. It ain't all bad.

Glow plugs don't give up the ghost reguarly. I doubt they need replacing. Is your GLOW PLUG TIMER working properley? Do you wait for it to click before winding over your motor?

Do you use your throttle lock instead of the exccellerator pedal for cold starting, then wind it down to idle?

Check both your air filters are clean and have not had a rat build a nest in there. This would choke the motor and cause excess Diesel Smoke.

Your Blue Smoke is unburnt Deisel, either caused by overfuelling or crook injectors.

Up here you can get exchange injector set for approx $400-$500. With instruction sheet how to fit yourself.

So your Shorty is a long way from being a pile of crap yet!!!

Tim

nissannewby
19th June 2012, 11:14 PM
Michelle, love, don't dispair. It ain't all bad.

Your Blue Smoke is unburnt Deisel, either caused by overfuelling or crook injectors.

Tim

Just to confirm- Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is over fueling and white smoke is unburnt diesel.

Finly Owner
19th June 2012, 11:29 PM
Just to confirm- Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is over fueling and white smoke is unburnt diesel.I knew that, I'm just tired and not thinking straight. But din't know white smoke. So thanks for that. I also thought overfuelling was unburnt diesel, so need to understand the difference there as I haven't quite graspe that one yet.

Tim

nissannewby
19th June 2012, 11:33 PM
Yeah white smoke is raw diesel when it has been atomised. Overfuelling doesnt allow the fuel to burn completely hence the black smoke. I have thrown a link up in general mech for it its a good read and is sure to help everyone.

Michelle
20th June 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys do ill check out the injectors, filters and oil already done, and ill drain that old deisel out and go from there, Tim I do let the glow plugs warm up and i use the peddle when i start her up, its all good just something ealse to add to the list lol

aussiemale
21st June 2012, 06:03 PM
add to your list?? Damn, what's that like? I'm still in the novel stage..not expecting to get to the list stage for at least another 8mths LOL