PDA

View Full Version : GU - 3.0 Vs 4.2 Diesel

RJG
30th September 2011, 07:53 AM
Hey Guys,
First of many questions, please bare with me but I need to know!

Looking at a PDF on the nissan web site the evoloution of the nissan patrol engines. I noticed the out put specs of the 4.2 & 3.0 are not that different.

TD42T 4.2 litre, water cooled,diesel engine, turbo,
114 kw @ 3600 R/min 330 Nm @ 2000 R/min

TD42Ti 4.2 litre, water cooled, turbo diesel, intercooled,
114 kw @ 3600 R/min 360 Nm @ 2000 R/min

ZD30DDTi 3.0 litre, water cooled, turbo diesel, intercooled,
118kw @ 3600 R/Min 354 Nm @ 2000 R/Min

ZD30DDTi 3.0 litre, water cooled, turbo diesel, intercooled, common rail,
118kw @ 3600R/Min 354 Nm @ 2000 R/Min .

I guess what im wondering is how does the ZD30DDTi drive against the TD42T, forget what it says on paper what is the real world experience? Fuel constumption, Overtaking, Towing patricularly up hills , down hill decent (engine braking) etc. The other thing drivability as a daily driver given I have to pass throught he city every day.

Love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Oh, and if any one can tell me which year/series each engine became available that would be a bonus too.

http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/owning/xml/090508nissanpatrolenginetypes.pdf

Cheers
Rob

Bigrig
30th September 2011, 08:03 AM
Not sure about the years they cam into play etc mate, but my last GU had the turbo diesel 3 litre and it was outstanding. A great motor, plenty of low down grunt and fairly economical considering the size of the rig.

This should be a topic you'll get plenty of response to mate, so hang tight and others will weigh into the discussion to assist also no doubt.

macca86
30th September 2011, 08:22 AM
not from experience but most people say that the 4.2 ti is the go. I have a zd30 in mine and as long as you're on boost it goes very well perky tourquey and fuel is about 13 L per 100km combined driving early Di models 99 to 02 models are the grenade engines so get a 03 to 07 model I think 07 is common rail engine appeared and replaced the Di.
The common rail tends to be thirsty on the juice apparently but doesn't seem to have many problems neither did the later Di models.
The 4.2 is everyones fav. not sure on fuel consumption but does what the 3.0 does but in a higher gear and has a good reputation as the early zd30 motors are suspect .
It's a personal choice and a financial choice as 4.2's carry a premium I went the 03 Zd30 and doing some mods to increase reliability and I love it goes better than holden suzi and toyota off road and you can't go wrong with a nissan unless you get a 99 to 02 zd30 motor!

luxo barge
2nd October 2011, 07:44 PM
The 4.2' s can be modded to produce a lot more power than the 3.0 L. For this reason they are prefered for more extreme offroad/ comp situations and also to heavy heavy towing. They also hold their value longer and will not depreciate as quickly as a 3.0L, and thayey sound awesomly tough with the right exhaust and mods.
The 3.0 Di up to series II 2002 where considered to be a bit of a hand grenade but few would be left with problems these days. To be on the safe side series III's are prefered over the series II for that reason, as Nissan had sorted the problems by then, But some mods are still prefered to be performed just to be on the safe side, like blocking the EGR and regular cleaning of the MAF sensor [think of these things as preventive matainence]
The shape of the Patrol changed very late in 2004 now a series IV with flattened flares made as part of the body, as opposed to the more tacked on plastic look type on the series III. The dash also changed but the 3.0Di remained till it was changed over to CRD in 2007.

If your're into the tough stuff and very heavy towing, and got the $'s to spend to make a super toughttruck that will annoy the neibours with black smoke and turbo whistle, go the 4.2, but it'll cot more to buy than a 3.0L.

If the above is not too much of a concern then go the 3.0L and if you want more power, just chip it. The CRD's,.. well some have had drama's with bad fuel economy and others have not. The pick of the bunch in the 3.0L feild would then be the 3.0 Di series IV [2005 - 2006 ] with the revised body and dash just before the CRD of 2007.

So there goes... I 've done me researh, now I just got to get my hands on a Patrol. Anyone want to give me one... ? :bowdown: I'd like a 05-06 series IV 3.0 ST-L with a manual box and grey leather.... Thanks.:toot:

I'll even give you my 1993 DC Hilux with all the ARB fruit, [Air lockers ect] :049:

guterra
2nd October 2011, 08:38 PM
Luxo has pretty much nail it in his response....

Also, I think u may open a can of worms here. This has been done to death and you will get the "4.2 all the way" fanboys start ranting about how every 3ltr blows.... "my mates brothers sisters boyfriend had his 3ltr go bang" Blah blah blah.

As long as you stay away from the 2000 - S2 2002 models, you should be fine.

Also, it went a little like this..... Series 1 GU 2.8ltr (08-99) -> Series 2 ZD30 (2000 - late 2002) -> Series 3 ZD30 (late 2002 - 2004 ????)... Thats all I know. Common rail was introduced in 2007 as mentioned above...

Cheers

luxo barge
2nd October 2011, 08:48 PM
Luxo has pretty much nail it in his response....

Also, I think u may open a can of worms here. This has been done to death and you will get the "4.2 all the way" fanboys start ranting about how every 3ltr blows.... "my mates brothers sisters boyfriend had his 3ltr go bang" Blah blah blah.

As long as you stay away from the 2000 - S2 2002 models, you should be fine.

Also, it went a little like this..... Series 1 GU 2.8ltr (08-99) -> Series 2 ZD30 (2000 - late 2002) -> Series 3 ZD30 (late 2002 - 2004 ????)... Thats all I know. Common rail was introduced in 2007 as mentioned above...

Cheers

Hahahah, you're from the Sunshine Coast too.... Got a spare Patrol laying around you want to give me ? lol

guterra
2nd October 2011, 09:07 PM
Hahahah, you're from the Sunshine Coast too.... Got a spare Patrol laying around you want to give me ? lol

I'd love to help, but no I don't lol. I spent 10 months of visiting patrols for sale to finally settle for the one I have now... Was frustrating!

RJG
3rd October 2011, 07:13 AM
Hey thank you guys for the input, seems like a GU IV with low Ks seems to be my choice, strangely Ive seem a couple of GU III with 60Ks on the clock advertised which did catch my eye just seem a little pricey.
As for towing right now in the forseeble future my outback sturt camper trailer is whats going to be hanging out the back 700kg dry and about 900kg loaded shouldnt give any of these trolls too much grief.

Like you Luxo, the finance minister has taken to the idea of leather inside!

starck
3rd October 2011, 08:14 AM
TD42 is iron fellow with timing-gear on pinions, remembers Okinawa.
ZD30 is the aluminium fruit of modern marketing and service-owners demands.

Depends what You need: off-road or on-road car????

RJG
3rd October 2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Starck,
The Patrol must be multifunctional
1. My daily driver 100 klm round trip good percentage of it in built up traffic.
2. Family tourer with camper trailer and travel anywhere in .
3. Offroader for easy medium trails (have a 5L Rangie for the hard stuff)

starck
3rd October 2011, 09:27 AM
...live...
So modern engine should suit best.

Have You considered V8 conversions? Then You buy a car with killed engine. It's not a problem with 3.0 litre Patrol :redface:.

In reverse You will get power and reliability.

RJG
3rd October 2011, 09:47 AM
No more conversions for me, the 5L V8 GM motor into the pommie 4x4 was enough. . So much more needs to be done other than just fitting the engine. Every bracket needs to be modified or re made, any thing that looks like a tube regardless if it carries oil, water, fuel, exhaust gasses, or electricity need to be looked at. Then start looking down the driveline will it cope with the extra HP whats next in line to break?

Been there done that. New theory is if it didnt come out of it it aint going in. :)

Ben-e-boy
3rd October 2011, 10:28 AM
The TD42, well looked after can do ( and some have done) 1,000,000km, its that good ol mechanical technology.
saying that dont look after it, sloppy service history etc you'll be lucky to get 300,000

some zd30's blow up
some dont

the end

td42 all the way

RJG
4th October 2011, 07:04 AM
Hi Ben,
Id love a 4.2 but are they really worth a 5-10k premium? Right now its most likely a low Klm 3L ST-L im looking for.

luxo barge
4th October 2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Ben,
Id love a 4.2 but are they really worth a 5-10k premium? Right now its most likely a low Klm 3L ST-L im looking for.

ST-L hey, Yep I rather pay the premium for the easy clean leather and aircon in the back, along with rear seat trays on the 04-05 model. A 4.2 would be good but like you say, it just keeps adding up.

teleman
4th October 2011, 08:21 PM
I really want to say, personal choice. Having driven both, its 6 of 1 half a dozen to another. Own a 01 GU 3.0l at the moment and couldnt be happier. 185,000 on the clock an going strong. Its my daily driver and weekend run a bout.
It kicks arse.

anschutz
5th October 2011, 07:30 PM
Hi all,
I've been a Patrol owner since 89, which was a MK swb with that ever reliable sd33t, updated to a 4.2 natural aspirated GQ lwb when the swb was not large enough for the growing family, a reliable vehicle yet somewhat lacking in power, I kept her for 10 years, she had over 525k on the clock and still in working order.
Made a classic blunder and purchased a GU 4500 oh what a thirsty mistake that was... moved on and now own a 2003 GU TD6 over a 2005 ZD30. (Price difference was only $1200. )
My choice was made clear for the TD6 by the simple mechanics of the older 4.2, the ease of servicing it and no damn electronics to fail when you need the vehicle most.
My vote is for the a 4.2 regardless of how many Ks on the clock.

:bowdown: We are not worthy...

Sir Roofy
5th October 2011, 08:40 PM
hi all,
i've been a patrol owner since 89, which was a mk swb with that ever reliable sd33t, updated to a 4.2 natural aspirated gq lwb when the swb was not large enough for the growing family, a reliable vehicle yet somewhat lacking in power, i kept her for 10 years, she had over 525k on the clock and still in working order.
Made a classic blunder and purchased a gu 4500 oh what a thirsty mistake that was... Moved on and now own a 2003 gu td6 over a 2005 zd30. (price difference was only $1200. )
my choice was made clear for the td6 by the simple mechanics of the older 4.2, the ease of servicing it and no damn electronics to fail when you need the vehicle most.
My vote is for the a 4.2 regardless of how many ks on the clock.

:bowdown: We are not worthy...

keep them coming guys this thread is getting interesting

RJG
5th October 2011, 09:42 PM
I agree roofy, its certainly providing some good info and insight to owners opinions.

Patrolcrazyjt
4th January 2014, 11:20 PM
Gday guys ill put it to you i love my nissans there reliability is terrific i started off with an mq ute with a sd33 and then moved on to a gq 4.2 diesel which i have done 656000kms in it and the only money ive spent on it is the price of oil filters and fuel filters. And its still running around today i use it plenty. I now have a 2005 model ute 4.2 turbo with 386000kms on it and it has been a terrific truck they are worth every cent guys. As a qualified mechanic i tell you guys nothing but the truth the 3.0ltr are not a hand grenade all of them but they are problematic just stupid little problems with electronics and coolant leaks and injectors leaking are very common this is including the 3.0litre common rail engine. Regards jesse

the evil twin
5th January 2014, 12:02 AM
Epic thread dig dude...

Welcome to the forum esp being a mechanic, drop over and post an intro in the Introductions thread and say G'day