PDA

View Full Version : Things to take on a BIG trip

Leighw85
29th September 2011, 10:42 PM
Hi all
just wanting to start a thread about massive trips, such as East to West coast, Going North and so on.
As im looking at doing the West to East next year.
To do a trip like this, what should i be looking at taking?
From the smallest things to the biggest thing, and i dont mean from my Patrol to a jar of vegemite :)

all the help on this would be awesome so i know how to prepare properly
cheers all in advance

macca86
30th September 2011, 07:31 AM
If traveling in single vehicle recovery gear and communication gear depending if you're traveling major roads or off the beaten track minimum uhf radio, snap straps shackles I reckon shovel air compressor tyre deflators winch fold away anchor those maxxtracks are great it solo travel.
enought water food fuel and some spares like belts hoses oils (engine power steer clutch brake) cooland oil fuel and air filters and basic tool kit) 2 spare tyres, puncture kit, maps and stop at every other pub and ask locals for road closers as websites are never up to date. they may even tell you good camp/fishing grounds and local attractions.
Hope this helps as this is what I would take

patch697
30th September 2011, 07:45 AM
One of our members here did 2x trips last year & the one before & he used a gps tracking device that could be tracking on the internet by family & friends.

I don't quite know how it all worked but it did have a feature that would turn the on screen indicator (internet) from green to red if he was in trouble & need assistance with gps co-ordnance on where to find him.

I thought this to be a great safety feature & im hoping he will see this thread & post to explain it some more for you.

Leighw85
2nd October 2011, 11:25 PM
that sounds quite handy.
what types of tools should i be carrying?
spares? equipment? anything really. better to be safe than sorry

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 04:14 PM
Basic tools, sockets, screwdrivers, basic electrical stuff, tape.

Have a good trip.

krbrooking
16th March 2013, 04:42 PM
You should normally have pretty much every size spanner/socket to suit all bolts/nuts etc. heaps of water and food even few days extra just incase. Plenty of oil,fuel and coolant for car as well as most heating/cooling hoses as well as some brake/fuel line. Maybe spare wheel bearing kit and grease. Some tie wire for bush mechanics and everyday serviceable items. Fire extinguisher, fist aid kit, puncture kit. Just to add on what has been said. Depends on how isolated you are going o be and how much room you have plus weight you can take.

NP99
16th March 2013, 06:11 PM
What's the rough route you plan to follow?

My wrong, I just seen its an old thread

DX grunt
17th March 2013, 05:40 AM
G'day

If you take anything that's not on this list, please let me know and I'll update it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17709-The-mother-of-all-camping-lists

Enjoy your trip, and as always..... Take care out there.

Rossco