PDA

View Full Version : GQ Rear wheel bearings?

Gaz
18th August 2010, 10:45 AM
I suspect I might need to replace at least one side rear wheel bearings. I've just noticed an intermittent hi frequency vibration and noise during road driving. Is there any way to check these without taking the whole axle assembly out to inspect? I've jacked both wheels off the ground and spun them but they don't feel or sound rough. Are they suppose to be re-greased as a service item? I've checked the Diff oil for metalic particals just in case but that seems clear.

YNOT
18th August 2010, 02:33 PM
G'day Gaz,

Does your Patrol have a suspension lift over 2 inches? If it does then the tail shft angles may need correcting.
Rear axle bearings are quite reliable, but do need regreasing from time to time. I'm not sure what the specified interval is. You can't check the axle bearings properly with the axles in.
Is there any diff oil leaking onto your rear brake backing plates? If there is then your inner axle seals are leaking, allowing diff oil through the axle bearings. This diff oil can 'wash' grease out of the axle bearings, shortening bearing life.
I would be checking tail shaft universal joints, gearbox and engine mounts, and rear control arm bushes before pulling the axles out.

Tony

Gaz
18th August 2010, 03:58 PM
G'day Tony,
Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have any Lift. There are no signs of oil leakage external or in diff oil level. I'll be checking all the other options this weekend following your suggestions.

Garry.

yort
21st September 2012, 08:09 PM
thanks tony, yep mine are shagged then

troy