PDA

View Full Version : Tuff stance

PT Paul
29th September 2011, 03:27 PM
Hey Guys. My GQ has a 2" spring lift, 15 x 8" rims and 32" BFG's. Which seems to give it a realy wide stance and the tyres are right on the outer edge of the arches. Looks good. Eventually I'll replace both rims and tyres. My question is mostly to do with the rims. With 'toyota offset rims' does the offset make the track narrower or wider?

growler2058
29th September 2011, 04:17 PM
I ended up with a 2nd spare sunraysia from a hilux it fits the trolls stud pattern but it sticks out further than the 15x8 and its narrower only 6" i think, dunno if that helps but i'm not sure on offsets theres a thread on here about offsets

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2011, 04:44 PM
Yes it does by lots mate. Standard Nissan offset is +10 and general Toyota offset is -22. This will see a change of 32mm to each side of the car track. total of 64mm wider track.

I run a Neg 6 offset on my GUIV and the tyres are just to the outer edge of the arches for a perfect fit.

At the end of the day your "stance" is all about the offset. Also running a 12.5 tyre over a 10.5 tyre will change the look entirely too.

Cheers

PT Paul
1st October 2011, 07:21 PM
So it's probably fair to assume that the rims on my monster are offset. Just by how much I dont know. Is there a right way to find out? Maybe it's written on rim?

-ET 4wd-
4th October 2011, 01:23 AM
I know there will be a code on the rim somewhere stamped into it , it will be something like 15 X 8 JJ or J on a after market rim.
I dunno what the JJ or J mean but a quick ring to ya local tyre bloke once ya work out what it is will probably solve ya problem :)

Hope this helps!

Steve.

MudRunnerTD
4th October 2011, 09:34 AM
you are really going to need a rim off the car or your spare off the door if it is the same. You need to measure the back space of the rim centre to figure out the offset. Offset equals how much the centre of the rim is away from the middle of the rim...

My maths could be slightly out here, sorry in advance if this is not quite right. A quick search on google will correct me though if you have the right info.

OK. You need to lay something across the back side of the rim outer edge of the bead to outer edge of the bead. (not the lip, but the bead) then measure the distance from that line to the back of the centre plate of the hub to determine where it is in relation to the rolling rim.

on an 8 inch rim i think they are 200mm wide. zero offset would measure 100mm. Negative 22 offset (considered Toyota offset by most) would measure 78mm to the back plate. Standard Nissan offset of +10 would measure 110mm to the back plate.

https://www.rsracing.com/images/tech-wheelfit1.gif

^^^^ Now that is a pic of an Alloy Mag wheel. the front of the rim is to the left of the pic and the back is to the right.

or we can get a little technical ;)

https://www.rsracing.com/images/tech-wheelterms.gif

Measuring Wheel Offset

To calculate offset you'll need the following measurements:

Wheel backspace
Wheel Width
Wheel Center line (outboard flange to inboard flange measurement / 2)
Subtract:

Wheel center line from Wheel backspace to get offset.
If backspace is less than the wheel centerline the offset is negative
If backspace is greater than the wheel centerline the offset is positive
Tip:

To convert from inches to mm multiply by 25.4
To convert from mm to inches divide by 25.4

An that is that.. Hope that helps you.

Cheers MR

Geoffy91
12th October 2011, 12:02 AM
i work at a tyre place, i run neg22 offset on my gq on 15x8 33x12.5 bighorns, sticks out, doesnt hit guard, looks tuff. Feels more stable offroad.

Mrowka
13th October 2011, 10:54 PM
Of course, the wider your stance, the lower your clearance when going over ruts and stuff.

There is a tradeoff at work here.

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 10:58 PM
Of course, the wider your stance, the lower your clearance when going over ruts and stuff.

There is a tradeoff at work here.

And you increase your scrub radius (wears your tyres quicker on the road) and mess with the Ackerman angle which can cause wheel wobbles/vibration at speed ..

PT Paul
19th October 2011, 11:16 AM
Awesome, car mods sound a bit like Diet & Exercise. Moderation is key ;)

Mrowka
20th October 2011, 03:29 AM
And you increase your scrub radius (wears your tyres quicker on the road) and mess with the Ackerman angle which can cause wheel wobbles/vibration at speed ..

And you also put more wear on CVs and axles and whatnot.

Bigger tires also increase the load and wear factors, which is one of the reasons I have resisted going too much larger.