PDA

View Full Version : turbo kit

tojorecoverer
29th September 2011, 11:44 AM
hi everyone, was wondering if anyone has done a conversion from the 4.2 diesel gq motor to 4.2 diesel turbo , and if so roughly what it would cost and how the motor coped with it ? thanks

AB
29th September 2011, 12:06 PM
Hi mate,

Below is a DIY thread about putting turbo on a TD42 N/A. Go a few pages into that thread and you will see my DIY install too.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42

The motors love it mate, especially the silver top TD42's, keep the boost under 12 and it shouldn't effect the engine one bit.

Costs are hard to calculate...

I bought the turbo second hand off Ebay for $1000 which came with the manifold, all pipes and fittings including the airfilter housing, etc.

You still need to get the dump pipe and 3" exhaust = $800-$900.

Pyro and boost gauges $220 ish

Allow an extra $300-$500 for braided hoses for oil and water feed, extra hoses for oil breathers and things that just crop up that you need.

I just recently did this mate so if you go ahead with it then ask any questions you have.

YNOT
29th September 2011, 12:15 PM
hi everyone, was wondering if anyone has done a conversion from the 4.2 diesel gq motor to 4.2 diesel turbo , and if so roughly what it would cost and how the motor coped with it ? thanks

Are you talking about dropping in a complete GU TD42T engine or turboing your original engine as AB (I've done it as well) has done?
If you're dropping in a complete TD42Tengine get the non-intercooled version as it has a straight mechanical injector pump so the is no additional wiring to be done, intercooled TD42T had electronic timing control on the pump.

As AB said TD42's respond really well to a bit of boost, it really livens them up and makes them a lot nicer to drive. As long as it's tuned properly after the turbo is fitted there will be no adverse affect on engine longevity and reliabillity.

Tony

starck
21st October 2011, 06:56 AM
By the way. Would You recommend to intercool TD42T with in-line pump? I've made 3 in exhaust and this made huge difference. Maybe intercooler will be next step for extra power?

PolitosGQ
9th December 2012, 07:51 PM
When you turbo a 4.2 diesel do you have to tune it

Diesel-Mate
10th December 2012, 07:07 PM
When you turbo a 4.2 diesel do you have to tune it

Yes or you won't feel a good increase in power and performance.