PDA

View Full Version : Back seat in MQ swb?

Michelle
27th September 2011, 01:41 PM
Hi, My hubby and I are looking
in to getting an old Nissan Patrol MQ swb on the road, (well thats what we think it is) to use as a camping /fishing weekender, or just for fun,:icon_driving: it has been sitting in a farm shed for years after having a new engine put in, and apart from a few minor details should be easy to get back on the road, the main thing we are wanting to know is can we legally/safely put out small kids in the back seat that it has in it with their booster seats? have been trying to find out via the internet but had no luck so far and i amwondering if the back seat that is in it is even legal?

Sorry I don't know much :red faced:

Thankyou Michelle :D

patch697
27th September 2011, 01:53 PM
G/day from a local.....lol

Is the back east a genuine one if so then with a the proper child restraint fitted I cant see why not.

If your putting this Rig back on the road then whoever you get to do the RWC should be able to advise you anyway.

Michelle
27th September 2011, 02:11 PM
Yes I think it is a genuine one, it has been a little while since I seen it and it has a few inches of dust in side :/ but since the old shed she was in fell down aroud her she hasn't been touched, may take a drive with the kids over the next few days and have a closer look, may even take a few pics too.
Cheers for the info :D

patch697
27th September 2011, 02:14 PM
Yes I think it is a genuine one, it has been a little while since I seen it and it has a few inches of dust in side :/ but since the old shed she was in fell down aroud her she hasn't been touched, may take a drive with the kids over the next few days and have a closer look, may even take a few pics too.
Cheers for the info :D

Im in Dim so if you need a hand with it just yell.... ( I should here you from here...........hahahahaha)

k1981
29th September 2011, 06:18 PM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g437/kej1981/ABCD0043.jpg

this is what the book say's about the seats

Finly Owner
29th September 2011, 09:24 PM
The seat is legal and yes you will need the appropiate anchor points fitted.

What headlights do you have in your shorty? Round = MQ, Square(Rectangular) = MK.

I love the ol' patrols, I own a MK wagon. What motor is yours running?

Tim

Michelle
30th September 2011, 03:21 PM
So finaly got a few pics up Yay!! check it out here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/album.php?albumid=217
Any feed back/advice welcome
Cheers

MQ MAD
2nd October 2011, 09:22 AM
The SWB have 2 different rear seats
A 2 seater and a 3 seater
The 2 seater will be narrower of course and the 3 seater will sit up over the rear wheel arches more
The seat belt anchor points are attached to the actuall seat , not the floor ,like in the front
On your ID plate will have "Seating capacity" this will tell you IF its a 4 seater or 5 seater
Looking at your pics, and dont take to much offense
Id be looking for a better starting point, and use this blue one as a spares car
IF the diesel engine hasnt been started for a while,like a few years, the fuel will be stale, and need a full system flush, new filters and possibly the injectors cleaned professionaly
From the pics, theres a bit of panel damage, and the interior shots seems pritty ruff
All the bits are around, some dear, some cheap people dont bother and just throw out
If doing it as a project is what ya want, theyre failly basic, but for a grand or more id get one complete and running

Finly Owner
2nd October 2011, 11:21 PM
As said by MQ Mad, it is a big reto job, but, if this holds a lot of sentimental value, then nothing can replace that. You will need a good body worker( hopefully you or your partner), Some nice 16" wheels, and please I don't mean to be rude...but...replace that ugly bullbar with something more road use friendly. I think the inside will clean up mostly with a blow out, and replace the seats and door cards with some GC 2nd hand ones, they are readily available as your colour was massively used.

If you are thinking of doing upgrades; Lift, Locker diffs, Snorkel, Bullbar, lights etc. Think about doing them as part of your restoration build, so that you are not paying for parts twice. An eg is: you probably need spring bushes, so instead of putting them in and new standard shocks, why not put in the Lifted springs(if you are going to) fitted with new bushes and new shocks to match.

If you have any questions ask here or start a seperate thread in the related subject, OR PM me.

Tim

I write this only because you ask for feedback/advice, and I wanted to encourage you.

Michelle
3rd October 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the encouragements, and yes I feel this Mq has a bit of sentimental value to it, we have a bit of help with knollage and know how in our family and friends group as far as mechanics and panel work go, so hoping between us all we will get this old girl going one way or another will keep update coming as it progresses alltho it may be a slow one.
Cheers Michelle

MQ MAD
3rd October 2011, 11:48 AM
Good luck with it,and great that youve assistance with the building of it
The good thing is everything forward of the front doors,are the same in SWB/ute/wagon
So parts shouldnt be a problem
The rear canopy side windows and rubbers are usually shot, at this stage in its life
But complete canopies can be had fairly cheap on evilbay
The rear lower tailgate is the same as wagons, so that helps with a replacement
The rear top tailgate window are only for SWB

Sit back with an ale or two or 4
Write a list of ALL the things that you think need replacing
Then look again a week later, make sure your on the right track
Dont throw anything out no matter how stuffed it is till the replacement is sourced,sometimes that bit ya throw could have that , screw,bolt,nut whatever that the replacement doesnt
Tim,is on the money re spending twice
Alot of the smaller parts postage costs anywhere in australia isnt to bad to your door
The larger parts, best to buy local to yourself
Tim,should be good for the smaller stuff
But larger gear ive a few MQ/MK parts contacts living in the gippsland area in VIC, that could help

Finly Owner
3rd October 2011, 11:57 PM
If you are after some factory steel flares let me know, as My chum(MQ MAD) above, LOL, had a mate after some but his mate let us both down.

Michelle
4th October 2011, 03:41 PM
If you are after some factory steel flares let me know, as My chum(MQ MAD) above, LOL, had a mate after some but his mate let us both down.

Yeah been doing a little reserch on what to do with the flares, Im thinking steel factory flares at the moment, not that they seem to be readly avalible, (well thats looking on ebay any ways) and try chop out most of that rust in the rear gards.
Will have a talk to the hubby and see about bringing her home soon so we can get bussy on it, and will let you know if we may be needing those flares if we cant find any local as freight may be expencive.
Cheers Michelle

MQ MAD
5th October 2011, 12:03 PM
The advantage of the factory flares are no additional holes required
The holes are already in the wheel arches/front guards,just some 10mm bolts a few washers and all done
Postage wont be too bad for flares probably around the $50-$60 full set to your door from QLD
(Finly owner, ala Tim)

Alot of MQ/MK stuff doesnt get to evilbay , alot is sold amongst members in various forums

Tim,
Yeah he stuffed us around, so he is on his own now
Ill drink his grog , but wont help him out re parts