PDA

View Full Version : Need help, have got the 2.8 blues

Shoot
27th September 2011, 12:59 PM
Hello all,
I have a 98 ST 2.8 troll and i think its a great rig but the more i read into the forum the more i think i should be thinking about converting to the 4.2 or Chevy conversion. The troll is setup for weekends only with a roof top tent, Muddies, Bull bar, winch, 2 inch OME lift, other goodies to come and i dont really intend to tow a trailer. Are the 2.8's really that bad, am i driving a timebomb or have i got a vehicle i can rely on.
OH SLEEPLESS NIGHTS.:(
SHOOT

Benno7
27th September 2011, 06:21 PM
Hey mate
Don't worry about your little 2.8 Just keep it cool, service it every 10,000km and don't rev it to hard and it will last you a long time.

patch697
27th September 2011, 06:23 PM
Agree with above post give what you've posted as in intended use but 5k servicing is the better way to go.

Shoot
27th September 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks Guys
5000 k services are the go. Going to Bendethra this long weekend, cant wait.

Benno7
27th September 2011, 09:44 PM
Oh and don't forget to check the harmonic balancer bolt regularly as they work loose.

guterra
28th September 2011, 08:36 PM
Oh and don't forget to check the harmonic balancer bolt regularly as they work loose.

Main problem agreed!

Early 3ltrs are the "more to worry about."

If your that concerned, make sure you have boost and pyros done. Forget about conversions to 4.2 etc (unless u have a big wallet), as the 2.8 gearbox is different along with most of the driveline...

You have nothing to worry about as long as you keep up the general maintenance. Simple really.

Shoot
28th September 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys
I am going to stay with the 2.8, had it checked out today and everythings OK, will fit Pyro and EGT gauges ASAP. Its only a weekender so it wont be doing to many K's, I think you have to drive them a little different to the 4.2 Patrol
Cheers

guterra
28th September 2011, 08:55 PM
Do some pipe work to her and she will liven up a bit. In my opinion, the 2.8s with a bigger exhaust sound wicked!

Cheers

Shoot
28th September 2011, 09:01 PM
Pipe work is on the agenda, just have to slip it past the cook, what about a chip, are they worth the money and do they hurt the engine

guterra
28th September 2011, 09:09 PM
Do the chip last.

Get your gauges on first and drive for a little while to familiarise yourself with the readings. Add an exhaust. If its just a weekender, this may be all you want. Don't push your EGTs any higher than 550 degrees and you should be fine. Also, you may want to look into the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation)...... "cough":........ block...... "cough"......... it.

Shoot
28th September 2011, 09:14 PM
Block of that thingy on the inlet manifold, ooops, did that last weekend, made a bit of difference, butterfly in intercooler as well

Ian2011
29th September 2011, 10:32 PM
5000km services, hope you have deep pockets. Whilst I agree with the installation of pyro and EGT guages,I dont think that changing oils after 5000k's is very economical nor would it be efficient (maintenance induced faults), personally if you stick to keeping exhaust temps low therefore turbo temps low any good quality oil would easily last the 10,000km service requirement

fullbost
2nd October 2011, 12:02 AM
although it not only the heat that kill the oil its also all the soot. I would be changing any diesel oil every 5k

aaron
2nd October 2011, 08:03 AM
I agre with top poast"s change oil & filter every 5000ks watch the temp my 2.8 sits just under half way. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE BOOST eg.. wind it up. Only the zd30 3.0lt go's boom with out warning.... change clutch to singel in stead of duel mass as they are real bad ! other then that enjoy your rig...

guterra
2nd October 2011, 10:10 PM
Once you block that "cough" EGR, You will have a lot less soot in your oil, meaning you can extend your services. I do mine about 7500kms and the oil is still reasonably goldish... Whereas before the block, she would go dark after 3000kms...

suvrd28
3rd October 2011, 12:30 PM
Hi do your oil changes every 5k, find a place like mr filter(they usually sell oils and things for trucks) you can buy oils and filters a lot cheaper than normal spare parts places only thing is they usually sell the oil in 20L drums but you use it up any way, Just an example i bought an oil filter from supercheap $28 at mr filter $18.
I will be doing a conversion on my GU and will have a DP chip for sale soon for the RD28.

XTC
3rd October 2011, 12:33 PM
I will be doing a conversion on my GU and will have a DP chip for sale soon for the RD28.

You must have the 2.8 blues if you're doing a conversion. :smile:

When I get on the highway with the camper on the back and try and keep up with the traffic I get the 2.8 blues, but when I get off the bitumen and into low range it's sheer XTC.

Shoot
3rd October 2011, 04:49 PM
Im with you XTC, my gu is a bit doughy on the road but of road its great, did consider a conversion but cant warrant the cost, am going to a 3 inch exhaust soon and see how it goes

XTC
3rd October 2011, 05:21 PM
Im with you XTC, my gu is a bit doughy on the road but of road its great, did consider a conversion but cant warrant the cost, am going to a 3 inch exhaust soon and see how it goes

It'll make it sound great, but not much else. Oh, the turbo might spool up a little earlier but not much. Buy it just for the sound anyway.

http://www.vimeo.com/18229435
http://www.vimeo.com/21516679

T0nka
2nd November 2011, 09:01 AM
It'll make it sound great, but not much else. Oh, the turbo might spool up a little earlier but not much. Buy it just for the sound anyway.

http://www.vimeo.com/18229435
http://www.vimeo.com/21516679

nice vids man, sounds wicked