PDA

View Full Version : Recovery winch

davo64
24th September 2011, 07:11 PM
Hi all - new to site & need help choosing, fitting and purchasing a winch for my 2005 GU Patrol - any help & tips will be much appreciated.

Dave

beansathome
24th September 2011, 07:15 PM
best to introduce your self b4 asking questions

it depends on how much u want to spend.
i went cheep i had a verry smalll budjet. spent under $400 for a 9000lb winch
if u have a winch bar u wont need a cradle

davo64
25th September 2011, 09:52 AM
Sorry, I'm green to forums & thankyou for your response - I'm Dave, a recreational camper who likes travelling to Shark Bay with the lads, for a weeks fishing. Have previously been bogged with boat in tow & thought a winch is a much better option in these scenarios, as opposed to unhooking boat to shuffle about to find traction. Incidental advice from random 4x4 drivers have indicated a '12000lb winch' is a good option to cover all bases? Budget not really a drama, but don't see the need to overspend, when a lower-priced generic winch will do the same job as a high-priced Brand name? Opinions please?

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 10:02 AM
G'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs to be found on the forum, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it.

Been on the hunt for one myself and came down to the Tiger11 jobbie with 28m plasma rope, hook, damper, gloves etc for $895 and the Mako low mount series (both 12000lb) for around $1100 with the same setup as the Tiger11 ... After much advice and deliberation (as best as I can tell) I'm going the Mako as they have excellent water resistance, and are fast developing a good reputation.

Enjoy!

hekarewe
25th September 2011, 12:05 PM
i have an 03 patrol and tow a camper with mine i had a warn 9500 xp fitted with the new bar. ended up with it being mounted with the drain at the top insted of the bottom,,, turns out this was a common mistake made by ARB stores across the country when these new winches came out, this has now been rectifed. long story short because this i ended up with water in the electric motor. took it back to ARB and they replaced the entire motor with new no questions asked no arguments, the after market service was fantastic. they are one of the more expensive winches on the market but after seeing there after sales service and response i am glad i spent the extra money.

what ever winch you do end up buying,,,, make sure you run it at least once a month. this is the maitance advice i got off ARB run out all your cable or line 2 or 3 time under tension to warm up the electric motor and dry out any residual moisture in there also do this after any trip where you have been doing water crossings or a lot of mud.

scotty83
25th September 2011, 03:57 PM
May be worth trying to get a copy of the $wd Action Winch comparo from a few months ago. I think from memory the Premier branded winch was the standout (I was surprised they seem to love all TJM products). Just a thought.

Have a good look around the Internet for prices to they can vary a lot.
GO the 05 GU

hekarewe
25th September 2011, 04:42 PM
May be worth trying to get a copy of the $wd Action Winch comparo from a few months ago. I think from memory the Premier branded winch was the standout (I was surprised they seem to love all TJM products). Just a thought.

Have a good look around the Internet for prices to they can vary a lot.
GO the 05 GU

they do love allll their TJM products!!!!! why wouldnt they???? they pump them in the dvd's,,,, and giving Roothy a free 12 000lb winch so he can give his old to his mate again on a dvd between the AAMIS roo chip the GIC campers and TJM i am supprised they have a chance to get any 4wding in LOL

sorry rant now over,,,,, but it is whorth to note that from memory the Warn XP winch was knock out of the top spot because of price,,,,, the other thing i look at is if i go in TJM i stand in the store while i wonder around and if i do have aquestion i then have to stand in front of their desks and wait for them to actually acknowledge my presence before being asked if they can help,,,,, at ARB or any other 4wd store you walk in you get greated and asked if they can be of service to you give you a useful answer or advice or if they cant they get someone who can. unfornatly it not just one TJM store that does that but everyone i have been in,,, makes me wonder how good their after market service would be on their products.

ooops soooorrrrryyyyy rank really is over now LOL

suvrd28
3rd October 2011, 01:04 PM
Hi i bought a tigerz 11 winch, works well

Ian2011
5th October 2011, 03:37 PM
Hey all,

Is it possible to fit a winch to the stock aluminium Nissan bullbar and if so what modifications are required, trying to build car up on a tight budget and if I can utilise the existing bar that would be great. I too was looking at a tigerz winch if anyone else has feed back on this particular model

beansathome
5th October 2011, 05:21 PM
Hey all,

Is it possible to fit a winch to the stock aluminium Nissan bullbar and if so what modifications are required, trying to build car up on a tight budget and if I can utilise the existing bar that would be great. I too was looking at a tigerz winch if anyone else has feed back on this particular model

you can get or make a winch cradle that is suported buy the chassis then cut the whole in the aluminium bar.
but if i was u i would b asking any 1 u see with a patrol that has a steel bar that looks like its never been off road u might b able 2 swap.
i swaped mine for free because the person that had the steel bar wanted something shiny lol