PDA

View Full Version : Trailor plug, easy to do?

HippoNZ
24th September 2011, 06:40 PM
Hi guys,

At some stage I lost the trailer connector as I was dragging the rear end of the rig down something lol
I need to rewire a new one, is this hard? Any one know which wire goes in what socket thingy?
Moving house and need it back up and running to keep the law happy......
thanks in advance
Brett

Maxhead
24th September 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi guys,

At some stage I lost the trailer connector as I was dragging the rear end of the rig down something lol
I need to rewire a new one, is this hard? Any one know which wire goes in what socket thingy?
Moving house and need it back up and running to keep the law happy......
thanks in advance
Brett

Is it a 7 flat, 7 round or 6 round?

Maxhead
24th September 2011, 06:56 PM
Anyways try this: http://www.campertrailers.org/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

HippoNZ
24th September 2011, 07:02 PM
Is it a 7 flat, 7 round or 6 round?
Flat 7, Thanks for that mate, it will save the headache tomorrow! Trust me I'm no sparky lol

beansathome
24th September 2011, 07:11 PM
when you buy the plug to install there isusaly instructions. also every plug i have opened up is numbered and the same from plug to plug . its not a hard job all u need is simple colercode wich nisspat has suplied the exact link i always use

pitty your not near buy i would b happy to show u

Ben-e-boy
24th September 2011, 07:24 PM
Brett the manual will help you out as well . but what I would do is set my meter to ohms and test every cable to earth. once I have found the earth cable I will turm my meter to volts and the test every thing brakes, indicators etc and use the process of elimination to find everything you need

Cheers
Benny

Yendor
24th September 2011, 08:57 PM
If you just need to fit a new plug, just match the correct coloured wire up to the correct pin number as per NissPat link.

Just note, that a black wire is often used as the earth wire, if you don't have a white wire in your harness.

If you are not sure just test each wire as per Benny post.

Also if scotch-locks have been used to connect your trailer plug harness into the original harness I would remove these and solder the wires instead.

If they are not causing problems now they soon will.

MC97GQ
25th September 2011, 08:51 AM
If you just need to fit a new plug, just match the correct coloured wire up to the correct pin number as per NissPat link.

Just note, that a black wire is often used as the earth wire, if you don't have a white wire in your harness.

If you are not sure just test each wire as per Benny post.

Also if scotch-locks have been used to connect your trailer plug harness into the original harness I would remove these and solder the wires instead.

If they are not causing problems now they soon will.

Totally agree with Yendor on this, spent a lot of yesterday rewiring my plug on the back of the truck.

Lights, indicators, brake lights would only work when they felt like it. The culprit Scotch Locks and 14 years of dirt, dust and water.

Make decent connections and solder everything and make sure you have a really good earth.

Mark

HippoNZ
25th September 2011, 12:49 PM
Cheers for all your guys help and advice there. Truly appreciate it. Just got it all hooked up, tested and all worked fine the first time! however, some idiot forgot to put the plastic screw that holds the two halves together of the plug box and well lets just say its gotta come back off so I can put the screw on first lol

Thanks again
Brett