PDA

View Full Version : Rust Bubbles - Old dent - Whats the best thing to do?

AB
22nd September 2011, 09:25 PM
Ok, well my GQ is a great car, love it...Low Km's, runs like a dream but at the end of the day It's a 21 year old vehicle.

The body is in good condition for It's age but I have noticed two mean rust bubbles coming up just above the gutter, roughly like a 5 cent peace each.

Also, the previous owner's wife kindly reversed into an oak tree the size of a small circus (don't know she didn't see the massive tree) and the husband amazingly took at it with a ball hammer which did straighten the dent out but left it looking like a severe case of acne...lol...Very smart I know!!!

Anyways there's paint flaked off which is starting to get surface rust in the rear quarter too...

The rest of the car is pretty good, pin strips everywhere but generally good.

Should I...

A) Cut the two bubbles out spray the whole roof and try and blend the spray over the roof and spray the entire rear quarter panel up to the door and roof too. Seems like a waste to spray 1/3 of the vehicle just for these spots.

B) Save up and wait until I do more damage and just spray the entire car a couple of years down the track?

C) Stop being a sook and just enjoy the Patrol and not worry about rust you pansy...lol

D) Cut the rust out, bog it up and just spray primer on and drive around like a beat up machine.

katwoman
22nd September 2011, 09:31 PM
Will you do what ever the most answers are ??
I go with 'A'. Keep on top of it or it'll get away.

AB
22nd September 2011, 09:32 PM
Will you do what ever the most answers are ??
I go with 'A'. Keep on top of it or it'll get away.

Not sure yet...lol

I agree with getting ontop of it. I'll end up aiming for trees not caring about the body in 12 months otherwise...LMAO

GUtsy ute
22nd September 2011, 09:35 PM
That rust in the gutter will keep on going if you do nothing about it.
I'd pull the roof lining away and treat it from behind even if you do something
about it from the outside.

AB
22nd September 2011, 09:42 PM
That rust in the gutter will keep on going if you do nothing about it.
I'd pull the roof lining away and treat it from behind even if you do something
about it from the outside.

It's just above the gutter about an inch up...good tip!

The gutters are amazingly perfect....I was suprised with that!

NissanGQ4.2
22nd September 2011, 09:45 PM
I'll go C *LMAO* sorta really depends if you plan on keeping it long term or not, but even if you don't plan on keeping it long term, if you don't keep on top of it u will loose $$$$ on sale

Finly Owner
22nd September 2011, 10:14 PM
Ok AB, I would ....wait for it..........Ahh..hummmm.......gulp....agree with Kat! Keep on top of it especially the roof. Cut just the outer skin and mig in some patches. Fill correctly and respray roof(even make a new 2 tone Bluey). As for flaking paint showing surface rust, attend to that after the roof. Take it back to bare metal and get some one to do some dolly work(peining) (I think that's how you spell it) for you. Then do a primer coat, spray putty, sand, undercoat, and 2 colour coats with a clear on top, to give your self some good looking rear doors/tailgate.

Tim

ablast
23rd September 2011, 12:17 AM
After you have taken the rust back to metal make sure you treat the metal with and anti rust agent. You can use an acid based product such as Deoxadine or a organic based converter which would be my preferance as organic based converters keep working long after as they soak into the metal and tun it black. This will ensure that you stop the progress and cyle of the rust. If you use an etch primer over the top it will be well sealed for the undercoat and top coats.

BillsGU
23rd September 2011, 12:34 AM
Do it once and do it right. It won't go away and it won't get any better. If the truck is a good as you say it is - then it is worth spending a bit of time AND money on it.

MQ MAD
3rd October 2011, 12:08 PM
Ok, well my GQ is a great car, love it...Low Km's, runs like a dream but at the end of the day It's a 21 year old vehicle.

The body is in good condition for It's age but I have noticed two mean rust bubbles coming up just above the gutter, roughly like a 5 cent peace each.

Also, the previous owner's wife kindly reversed into an oak tree the size of a small circus (don't know she didn't see the massive tree) and the husband amazingly took at it with a ball hammer which did straighten the dent out but left it looking like a severe case of acne...lol...Very smart I know!!!

Anyways there's paint flaked off which is starting to get surface rust in the rear quarter too...

The rest of the car is pretty good, pin strips everywhere but generally good.

Should I...

A) Cut the two bubbles out spray the whole roof and try and blend the spray over the roof and spray the entire rear quarter panel up to the door and roof too. Seems like a waste to spray 1/3 of the vehicle just for these spots.

B) Save up and wait until I do more damage and just spray the entire car a couple of years down the track?

C) Stop being a sook and just enjoy the Patrol and not worry about rust you pansy...lol

D) Cut the rust out, bog it up and just spray primer on and drive around like a beat up machine.

Youll gotta go with "B", especially IF ya use it off road

"D" cut the rust out and bog , you guys are dodgy

The roof gutters issues are a pain in these patrols,yes it will get worse over time, and could cost more to fix, but theres no way to say in a few years time it wont appear elsewhere along the gutter

A quick temp/slow down the rust process would be to remove the roof lining as mentioned ,try and get some rust convertor in there
The dent,again wouldnt bother if its used off road, for the time anyway

AB
3rd October 2011, 12:38 PM
I forgot to take photos...OOPS!

I cut the rust out of the roof and the gutters on the weekend, got right in and removed everything and sprayed rust converter all inside too.

So far so good, the rust is only isolated in those two little spots. I also bogged it all up and primed it.

The side quarter is still damaged but I did remove all the surface rust and prime that for now to stop the process and took the petrol cap off and I'll get the paint matched today and spray it next weekend.

Poor Bluey is looking like a beaten up two tone mess at the moment...LMAO...But she'll come good by the weekend!!!

Silver
3rd October 2011, 01:53 PM
I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that primer is not water proof - you need to put some colour on or rust will reappear.

AB
3rd October 2011, 02:26 PM
I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that primer is not water proof - you need to put some colour on or rust will reappear.

For sure mate, the car is in the shed now and I just dropped off the fuel cap to get matched this week and Bluey isn't going anywhere until I can paint it next weekend.

Silver
3rd October 2011, 06:02 PM
I don't know if short term exposure to water is an issue. The blokes I knew that resprayed used to squirt on a mist of black over the primer, as a guide coat, and then block it back with fine abrasive paper, using water to keep the paper clean. Maybe that was the only way it could be done?

What was a problem was leaving primer on its own for a while.

Sounds like a good project AB. Was it fiddly removing and replacing the roof lining? Guess you did it in sections?

AB
3rd October 2011, 08:47 PM
I don't know if short term exposure to water is an issue. The blokes I knew that resprayed used to squirt on a mist of black over the primer, as a guide coat, and then block it back with fine abrasive paper, using water to keep the paper clean. Maybe that was the only way it could be done?

What was a problem was leaving primer on its own for a while.

Sounds like a good project AB. Was it fiddly removing and replacing the roof lining? Guess you did it in sections?

I did a bit of a dodgy mate, not that I ever do dodgys...lol

The outside bubbles pretty much had tiny rusted holes after removing all the rust so I ended up going deeper with 2 holes the size of a 5 cent piece. I could then look inside to see what damage was done and vacuum'd out all the debris to find it was actually no rust in the inner panel. Poked around for about half an hour with lights, vacuum, etc to find it was all clear on the inner panel and sprayed rust converter inside to be sure.

Time will tell if I was right or wrong...LMAO

Mrowka
5th October 2011, 02:03 AM
Zap it! Zap it now!

Treat rust like you would cancer -if you find a lump, you don't delay yanking it out until it gets big enough to be serious. Instead, you get it now before it has the chance to get serious.

Dapple
19th February 2012, 06:26 PM
I have one of those also but mines on the window frame of the front passenger door and I also have what look a rusty skin rash on the passenger side B pillar I will take some pictures for those who love a good look.

Dapple
19th February 2012, 07:44 PM
Well Here are the pictures and also i got the wrong window it was the drivers side rear.:bowdown: I also forgot the ouch on the left rear panel (not mine previous owner).:thumbup:
and finally my bonnet needs respraying after an overheating problem.