PDA

View Full Version : Basic Tool Kit

Mtee
21st September 2011, 01:20 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking at putting together an basic tool kit for my next trip. I was wondering what size spanners, screwdrivers and sockets I should buy. I don't want to buy or carry a bunch of useless tools. I have a Series three Gu Patrol.

Cheers Mtee

Mazodude
21st September 2011, 01:40 PM
most of the stuff on my GQ (yes I know not a GU) is size 15 to 22, for both spanners and sockets.

AB
21st September 2011, 01:42 PM
Hi mate, to start off (I'm sure there will be other people to add stuff here) but you can't go wrong with a crescent kit from Bunnings.

Very cheap but good quality and packs up small.

There will be some other items you will need such as a wrench or a larger shifter but the Crescent Kit is a good allrounder in my books.

Mazodude
21st September 2011, 01:46 PM
wow AB, that is better than my set. Might have to get me one of those :D

AB
21st September 2011, 01:48 PM
wow AB, that is better than my set. Might have to get me one of those :D

I love it mate, best thing I have ever bought....Bunnings has them for around $130-$150.

Mine has copped a punishment and nothing has broken yet, quality is good and very convenient to have it all together....Just remember to put things back!!!!

Finly Owner
21st September 2011, 11:07 PM
What size spanner does it go up to AB? A tomahawk in a case and a hammer will always be handy. And don't forget a lever bar of some type(jack handle, long socket ext bar etc) for tension alternator belt.

Tim

Ben-e-boy
22nd September 2011, 01:24 AM
You will need a 22mm spanner and socket (or 2 spanners) for control arm and panhard rod nuts and bolts, 24mm for radius arm bolts
both electrical and 100mph tape
assorted cable ties
The kit AB has posted
A breaker bar (get the same size drive as the socket in the kit)
pry bar (as Tim said)
54mm hub socket
Big tyre levers
Pliers (as well as the ones in that kit)
A pushbike tyre tube........ this can be made into a crude bush incase one sh!ts itself..... im not joking
electrical crimps, lugs and cable.

all this except for the cresent kit can be put into a simple tool bag that wont take up alot of room

AB
22nd September 2011, 08:12 AM
What size spanner does it go up to AB? A tomahawk in a case and a hammer will always be handy. And don't forget a lever bar of some type(jack handle, long socket ext bar etc) for tension alternator belt.

Tim

Only goes up to a 15m spanner mate. The sockets go up to around 21mm and the shifter is only a medium size too.

Ben-e-boy
22nd September 2011, 02:17 PM
some more things to consider are fliuds, oils etc
I take degreaser, inox, a bit of HTB grease and/or a moly based litium grease, thread sealant, 515 sealant

dasemm
22nd September 2011, 03:58 PM
good point Ben, I take 1litre oil, brake and power steering , inox and belts (fan, a/c etc). Also, fencing wire has come in handy in the past..

macca
22nd September 2011, 05:41 PM
What do you mean by trip?
Are you talking close to home or away on an extended trip?
If extended are you isolated or near towns and services?
For us tools and spares vary according to what we are doing.
We do some isolated stuff and take heaps, we have used b all of it I might add. But its better to look at it than look for it.
If doing a weekend trip we dont take much, only cause we are close to home.

Mtee
22nd September 2011, 08:34 PM
What do you mean by trip?
Are you talking close to home or away on an extended trip?
If extended are you isolated or near towns and services?
For us tools and spares vary according to what we are doing.
We do some isolated stuff and take heaps, we have used b all of it I might add. But its better to look at it than look for it.
If doing a weekend trip we dont take much, only cause we are close to home.

I'm heading over to the nullarbor. There will be times when I will be isolated from towns. Some of the beaches I will be travelling along are not that well known. I normally travel with one or two other cars but this time I'm going solo. My mate normally brings the tools. I always carry spare hoses, oils etc.

AB
22nd September 2011, 08:47 PM
Here it is...

I was trying to find this thread for you, has a lot of info on what some of the members carry...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2423-What-spares-do-you-carry&highlight=tape

Finly Owner
22nd September 2011, 09:21 PM
good point Ben, I take 1litre oil, brake and power steering , inox and belts (fan, a/c etc). Also, fencing wire has come in handy in the past..why take fence wire? you can nearly always find it somewhere in our wonderful country!

Tim

macca
23rd September 2011, 07:12 AM
I'm heading over to the nullarbor. There will be times when I will be isolated from towns. Some of the beaches I will be travelling along are not that well known. I normally travel with one or two other cars but this time I'm going solo. My mate normally brings the tools. I always carry spare hoses, oils etc.

In that case a extra spare, or a good plug kit as a minimum. Something to demount and remount a tyre could be real handy.
I have a bead breaker, its done 34000klm in 3 trips to the interior and never been used, a mate is back from a Birdsville trip today, between 2 vehicles they had 5 flats. What the..

Have you thought about a sat phone, EPIRB or VHF?

Mtee
23rd September 2011, 06:59 PM
In that case a extra spare, or a good plug kit as a minimum. Something to demount and remount a tyre could be real handy.
I have a bead breaker, its done 34000klm in 3 trips to the interior and never been used, a mate is back from a Birdsville trip today, between 2 vehicles they had 5 flats. What the..

Have you thought about a sat phone, EPIRB or VHF?

Thanks for that. An EPIRB or similar device did not cross my mind but now you mention it it sounds like a good idea. I'm heading to get a spare UHF ariel tomorrow so I will check them out whilst Im there.

Mrowka
27th September 2011, 10:57 PM
All good sugestions. I will add that I like to pack a length of steel pipe for use as a breaker bar/wrench extender/etc..

fullbost
2nd October 2011, 12:13 AM
top and bottom rad hoses, plus some heater hose some rad stop leak,liquid metal, and also I take 5l of engine oil just in case I do manage to crack a sump or something im able to partially refill my engine to get me by. Can also use it in diff ext in an emergency

Silver
2nd October 2011, 09:03 AM
cheap tarp to lie on, and hand cleaner for after, workshop manual.

The patience to wait for someone to come along who actually knows that the bit you have been wrestling with needs judicious application of a hammer. I've helped a couple of people out, and was helped out once by a grey nomad who wandered over with a cuppa in hand and just happened to be a retired auto leccie who knew to bend the tabs on the alternator brushes down to get them working again.

HOOPER
18th October 2012, 02:35 PM
hi dont you have a tool rool in the car or is it an option or extra i have one next to the rear light compartment just basic tools though

brw1994
8th July 2013, 10:32 PM
I've been looking at getting a cresent kit from work for a while AB worked in a hardware store for 5 years they are a decent quality product for a good price and have great kits. X2 on AB

mudnut
8th July 2013, 11:38 PM
After being stuck in the sticks with the front panhard bar fallen off, I will be carrying an assortment of metric nuts, bolts and washers when going bush in future.

trekster
9th July 2013, 06:57 AM
Gee that kit AB posted has come forward in leaps and bounds, I have the same kit but a bit older and I don't have the pliers, shifter etc...

Cheers,
Eric.

lucus30
20th February 2015, 09:43 PM
Hi mate, to start off (I'm sure there will be other people to add stuff here) but you can't go wrong with a crescent kit from Bunnings.

Very cheap but good quality and packs up small.

There will be some other items you will need such as a wrench or a larger shifter but the Crescent Kit is a good allrounder in my books.

Thread dig. AB do you think the 170 piece crescent kit is worth getting? I can order it on Amazon for roughly $150 at the moment
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4AVRGW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Otherwise I can get the same kit as yours for about $140

AB
20th February 2015, 09:58 PM
Thread dig. AB do you think the 170 piece crescent kit is worth getting? I can order it on Amazon for roughly $150 at the moment
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4AVRGW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Otherwise I can get the same kit as yours for about $140

Mate they are a great set but their plastic hinges are shite.

All my hinge systems are now broken and when folded up it pops out.

Great set but just need to take care with opening and closing it.

Go the 170 though.

4bye4
21st February 2015, 01:20 AM
Can't go past a Metrinch socket set. Fits metric or imperial and also rounded or damaged bolts. Just don't use them on a rattle gun.

lucus30
21st February 2015, 08:52 AM
Can't go past a Metrinch socket set. Fits metric or imperial and also rounded or damaged bolts. Just don't use them on a rattle gun.

I'd thought about that also but I'm yet to find one that is 1/4 3/8 and 1/2. However masters has one 1/2 set on clearance at the moment for $100 that I was seriously close to getting