PDA

View Full Version : axle seal tool

Ben-e-boy
21st September 2011, 01:46 AM
gday

I had an idea to make it easier for me to install axle seals without damaging them. Working the arvo shift at the mill and having it run sweet and i'm not forever attending breakdowns I thought it would be a good time to do a foriegner.

I rummaged through the scrap steel bin and found a bit of broken shaft which I turned it into a drift. one side is to install the axle seals without damaging it and the other side is to install the swivel hub bearing cap into the axle trunion what makes it better is that I was paid to make it

Here is a couple of photos
Cheers
Benny

Bigrig
21st September 2011, 07:18 AM
How much will your work pay you to knock one up for me??!! lmao

Yep - see if you can knock one up for me please fella ... I'll sort you out even if work won't ...

Ben-e-boy
21st September 2011, 10:24 AM
ill search for some more shaft tonight I cant mak eany promises as it took me a long time to find that piece of shaft

patch697
21st September 2011, 10:28 AM
Nicely done mate.......Love it.

Russell1974
21st September 2011, 02:16 PM
great work if there is an extra one there I would take one to ;)

Finly Owner
21st September 2011, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a market there Benny, what size shaft is needed?

Tim

Ben-e-boy
22nd September 2011, 01:03 AM
Cheers guys.

tim. The shaft or solid bar need to be bigger than the outer axle housing. near enough is good enough but if you want precision you need 2 inch shaft turned down to 1 1/4 inch

For you guys who want one sorry guys I only have one more night shift left (and I acually have work to do) and I cant do it on day shift because management will ask questions as to why an electrician is in the machine shop milling and turning home jobs

Finly Owner
22nd September 2011, 10:03 PM
Cheers guys.

tim. The shaft or solid bar need to be bigger than the outer axle housing. near enough is good enough but if you want precision you need 2 inch shaft turned down to 1 1/4 inch

For you guys who want one sorry guys I only have one more night shift left (and I acually have work to do) and I cant do it on day shift because management will ask questions as to why an electrician is in the machine shop milling and turning home jobs
Ok mate I was going to try and source some shaft for you to turn out some. But you can't so i won't.

Tim

NissanGQ4.2
22nd September 2011, 10:11 PM
nice, gotta love doing foreign jobs while getting paid 4 it :)

andrew373
26th October 2011, 05:57 PM
all i have ever used is a socket the same size as the seal im fiting works every time

MudRunnerTD
26th October 2011, 06:10 PM
I had a piece of square timber and rounded it off with my linisher to the right size and it works a treat. Would not be that hard to do even with a hand plane if you had too. Good thing about the timber is that it is kinda soft to and will be a little gentle on your seal.

The axle seal on a Nissan can be a temperamental thing, damn it. just be gentle and be very careful not to load up the bottom of the seal when fitting the axle back in, especially the long side or you will be doing it again fairly soon.

Bakes
26th October 2011, 11:52 PM
Cheers guys.

Nice idea Ben-e-boy. I've been on my lathe lately as well, and made some ally tooling for all the front end seals etc .. But anyone near or around Townsville that wants this type of stuff, give me a bell. I'd be glad to help out

nowoolies
27th October 2011, 12:05 AM
the part i like is the size comparator hahahahahahah