PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Race Crash in California, USA

Alex Ruby
17th August 2010, 09:49 AM
Anybody hear about this? There was a big crash over the weekend at an off roading race that killed 8 people in the Mojave Desert in Southern California. Here's the link to the video. http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/15/california.racing.deaths/index.html?hpt=C1. Pretty scary stuff. Be safe out there!

AB
17th August 2010, 10:10 AM
Shame, thats scary Alex.

I always stand behind a big tree. Bit hard in the Mojave Desert but stay behind a vehicle or something big.

patch697
17th August 2010, 10:50 AM
Thats such a shame to see things like that happen, to see lives lost in what should have been a fun day out for all is tragic but I have to agree with what was said about not enough safety measures taken.

Finly Owner
17th August 2010, 09:48 PM
hmmm It makes me scared to see spectators so close to rallies etc.

patch697
17th August 2010, 09:57 PM
hmmm It makes me scared to see spectators so close to rallies etc.

True that mate True that........

Alex Ruby
18th August 2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah, it reminds me of those rally car videos. It just looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Alex Ruby
18th August 2010, 07:33 AM
Speaking of Rally Cars, here is a link to a video with some pretty gnarly crashes and some pretty funny near misses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkgV2f00IE8.

patch697
18th August 2010, 08:08 AM
A good watch Alex thanks for the post.

Cheers
Paul

Woof
18th August 2010, 07:37 PM
Things like this will continue to occur until the Organisers and Marshals start to enforce safety standards at all events.
As a CCDA Marshal, I will not let anyone within at least 100m of the action, yes they whinge and carry on but I just explain that I am doing a job that includes looking after their safety as well.

Finly Owner
18th August 2010, 10:42 PM
I used to go to street drags to watch. It amazed me the cars would do donuts and the crowd would surround the car and just keep getting closer. Mad.

locks
18th August 2010, 10:47 PM
Like when poor Aussie Troy Critchley lost control of his drag car in a fund raiser show in the USA. I think he killed about 7 people. Not sure of the outcome but there was talk he was going to jail, etc. That would really screw you up!!!

Poor bugger.

Alex Ruby
19th August 2010, 02:24 AM
Like when poor Aussie Troy Critchley lost control of his drag car in a fund raiser show in the USA. I think he killed about 7 people. Not sure of the outcome but there was talk he was going to jail, etc. That would really screw you up!!!

Poor bugger.

Here's a link on the latest regarding Troy Critchley.....no jail time, 18 months probation. http://cbs11tv.com/sports/Troy.Critchley.racer.2.908001.html.
I couldn't find anything about how the civil lawsuits ended up.

Ditto, poor bugger.

robdogg
16th November 2010, 02:31 AM
Speaking of Rally Cars, here is a link to a video with some pretty gnarly crashes and some pretty funny near misses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkgV2f00IE8.

4min 42s is scary...but the old guys reaction is funny.

Bigrig
16th November 2010, 11:27 AM
Makes you realise how quick it can happen - look at Peter Brock as a prime example, I have his last rally car shirt framed, with the words "Enjoy Life, Peter Brock" signed on it which he did about two weeks before his death. Enjoy life indeed, but use as much common sense as you can when watching these types of events to ensure you don't end up a statistic (and when 4wd'ing in general) - the drivers have all the safety equipment known to man, and they still get dead, so what chance does a spectator have getting hammered by 2 tonne of steel travelling at 100+ kilms per hour.

Finly Owner
17th November 2010, 12:14 AM
yeah but how many young guys think they are invincable in the bush with a 4WD, no experience and plenty of "I can do that" attitude in front of their peers.

If things can go so terribly wrong for experienced, it woudn't take much for me to stuff mine is how I think.

Tim